UM Tikka rings or Sportsmatch?

AK4570

FNG
I'm looking to pick up a couple sets of rings for the Tikka dovetail. Background info: I have successfully eliminated all 6061 aluminum mounting systems and rings due to the.. well, let's skip that to avoid accusations of trolling.

At any rate, can anyone who has used both systems give me a data-driven argument for one over the other? I know they are both made of my most loathed alloy, but maybe I can give it one more chance.

Thank in advance, and best regards,
John

Sportsmatch availability may play into your decision, last time I tried to find a pair online my usual sources had dried up.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Which aesthetic do you prefer? The UM rings are chunky for my personal taste.

Price, the Sportsmatch rings are much cheaper.

Hardware, the UM rings come with nitrided screws that are less likely to rust.

Versatility, the UM rings have a variety of recoil pin placement options making it easier to locate the rings were you want.

The UM rings support a US business and an innovative product. But, Sportsmatch is UK, so much better than supporting China.

amassi

WKR
They both work great
As said above UM has more pin options, are more robust and have a better clamping system(subjectively- I don’t like the little washers on the sportsmatch base screws)

Sportsmatch are lower profile and lower mounting

SRS/UM took a risk and improved a good mouse trap, also they celebrate the 4th of July instead of distressing over their lost colonies (kidding)

I vote UM we need to support innovation and risk in the firearms field. Plus they took feedback from here RE: threaded pins, sourced them and shipped them free of charge to previous orders. All around stand up company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RussDXT

WKR
I have owned both. On a 300 wsm tikka with the sm84’s the shell won’t clear the windage turret.

Had to sell the 84’s at a loss.

Got the medium UM rings and had the same issue, they swapped them out for the tall free of charge.

UM all the way.

MichaelC

FNG
Classified Approved
I ordered a set of sports match before I knew about the UM. I ordered the UM and received them in three days. They are chunky but incredibly well built and they are not coming off my rifle. About 4 weeks after ordering SM rings they showed up. I bought them from the Arizona air gun outfit.

OP
A

AK4570

FNG
I appreciate everyone's responses on this... looks like I'll be giving my ID neighbors a call.

Best regards,
John

I’ve been using both, and even if the Sportsmatch were readily available I’d still go UM. They’ve got more options for mounting while utilizing the recoil pins.

amassi

WKR
So the um 30mm low is actually a hair taller than the sportsmatch t084 which is a “medium”

atmat

WKR
So the um 30mm low is actually a hair taller than the sportsmatch t084 which is a “medium”

Yep! I actually wish the UM were a smidge lower, but that’s okay.

the primary reason I switched from sportsmatch to UM is due to brass hitting the windage turret on the SWFA. This can be solved by moving the scope, but in a bravo stock and my cheekbone moving the rings just a smidge higher with the UM was the ticket.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I went all in with sprotsmatch befor the UM game out. I still have a few unopened sets of the sportsmatch so I guess I’m just using those for a bit. The UM looks cool though.

OP
A

AK4570

FNG
Allow me to complicate the discussion further.

After a handful of bad experiences with several different mount systems whose manufacturers shall remain unnamed, I have been exclusively using Nightforce XTRM rings. Additionally, every rail on every rifle in the stable is epoxied in place with all screws degreased and torqued with thread locker.

That said, and with the caveat that I understand and support simplifying mounting systems whenever possible, what are you all's experience using a pic rail and rings setup on the T3X?

Thanks again,
John

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Allow me to complicate the discussion further.

After a handful of bad experiences with several different mount systems whose manufacturers shall remain unnamed, I have been exclusively using Nightforce XTRM rings. Additionally, every rail on every rifle in the stable is epoxied in place with all screws degreased and torqued with thread locker.

That said, and with the caveat that I understand and support simplifying mounting systems whenever possible, what are you all's experience using a pic rail and rings setup on the T3X?

Thanks again,
John

Works fine but often end up mounted too high
Not worth the extra cost and hassle when there’s 2 better options