Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve read all the responses I’m glad to be a part of a forum that can see shades of grey and have a mostly civil discussion about it. Some random thoughts from an A D D brain.
Allot of what people are complaining about reminds me of scarcity mindset vs abundance mindset. (Google it)
I’ve learned allot about hunting from allot of these social media influencers (thanks to Randy Newburg I’ve went on out of state hunts the last 2 years and have some planned for next year to.) on YouTube and in podcasts but i don’t have any social media other than a couple forums. As they grow in popularity and start whoring products i end up dumping them because they lose the appeal to me.
Some things will never change from way before social media till now some guys are just full of bs/ braggadocios/liars/cheaters/immoral/etc it seems to be in their nature We all know them and we hopefully also all know some men that are humble/ethical/kind/honest/generous and have integrity. We all get to choose who we have as friends associate with and who we support.

I see allot of merit in Matts arguments but some of it does also sound quite elitist.

The question is not, "Should we listen to hunting personalities?"
I run a kifaru because of aron and his commitment to made in America. Dude knows backpacking for sure.

The question is, should their voice be the only voice or the loudest voice about the future of hunting?

Again, the people steering the conversation about the future of hunting ALL have a monetary investment at stake...

I will admit that for too long I never really considered this fact, and I'm glad to be looking at what I consider to be a more complete picture

Deadfall

WKR
Just listened to the kifarucast deal. Glad I listened to that. I'm not a rinella fan. Glad I stopped buying gear from any company he buys. Especially after learning one of his backers is anti predator and anti 2nd amendment. Which really really sucks. I love phelp reeds. No longer use phelps calls.
I agree with most of what kifarucast had to say.
Things I heard:
1. Don't like and follow
2. If you posting online, be aware of what you posting.
3. If there's a problem come to table with solution not just complain.
4. Not all media content is bad

Guess for me, the bottom line is; enjoyed both perspectives from Matt and kifaru. Long as I can get past the delivery the message is essentially the same.

JRam07

FNG
Just listened to the kifarucast deal. Glad I listened to that. I'm not a rinella fan. Glad I stopped buying gear from any company he buys. Especially after learning one of his backers is anti predator and anti 2nd amendment. Which really really sucks. I love phelp reeds. No longer use phelps calls.
I agree with most of what kifarucast had to say.
Things I heard:
1. Don't like and follow
2. If you posting online, be aware of what you posting.
3. If there's a problem come to table with solution not just complain.
4. Not all media content is bad

Guess for me, the bottom line is; enjoyed both perspectives from Matt and kifaru. Long as I can get past the delivery the message is essentially the same.
Ryan Callahan is constantly talking about stuff like the Washington Spring Bear thing, and other laws that seek to limit hunting, access, and things that hurt hunting

Clearly being owned by an anti-predator hunting guy hasn't effected that.

Did Aaron Snyder spread the message for people to act? All these people claiming social media can be a force for good, where are their posts calling for action when these things come up?

We see the same thing in the gun community, people like Demolition Matt, and John Hickok who have massive followings but they don't want to risk losing money so all they might say is "join the nra" who does nothing but buy Wayne Lapierre houses for his girlfriends and fancy suits.

But the guys doing stuff about it, the guys who talk about and rally people to do stuff about it, well they're company is owned by a guy who doesn't like predators hunting so even though they're advocate for it, even though they advocate for protecting the fringe of Hunting, well they take a ding.

Has Aaron Snyder said anything about the corner hopping case?

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ryan Callahan is constantly talking about stuff like the Washington Spring Bear thing, and other laws that seek to limit hunting, access, and things that hurt hunting

Did Aaron Snyder spread the message for people to act? All these people claiming social media can be a force for good, where are their posts calling for action when these things come up?

We see the same thing in the gun community, people like Demolition Matt, and John Hickok who have massive followings but they don't want to risk losing money so all they might say is "join the nra" who does nothing but buy Wayne Lapierre houses for his girlfriends and fancy suits.

But the guys doing stuff about it, the guys who talk about and rally people to do stuff about it, well they're company is owned by a guy who doesn't like predators hunting so even though they're advocate for it, even though they advocate for protecting the fringe of Hunting, well they take a ding.

Has Aaron Snyder said anything about the corner hopping case?
What are you doing to make the improvements you'd like to see?

Do you have more responsibility to champion a cause when thousands of people like your photos, than if you never let others see your photos? What if your passion is just taking amazing photos?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR

Aaron and the gang are constantly involved in issues that matter. Some they talk about and some they don't. Are folks like Aaron a big personality and sometimes hard to digest....Well maybe, maybe not. Perspectives I guess.

I dont know anything about Ryan..Seems counterproductive to me too work for a place who partially funds anti hunting type stuff. While talking about hunter issues.

I believe if consumers were better informed, then messages from people like Ryan would be hindered. Also believe the ronella brand would be as well. Which would hopefully affect a bit of change.

Simple fact is, consumers for most part just don't know they are cutting their own throats by supporting companies that support anti hunting issues. I think most folks care more about easy/right now, than they do principle.

I've never heard of those other 2 you mention. I agree NRA is dang sure polluted.

Yes Aaron calls for action. The message of the podcast was to stop liking the videos the hurt us. If, we stop hitting the like or follow buttons there is, little to no money for the jokers to keep going.. at the very least their nonsense would reach fewer people.. Which is the general message from them and matt...

JRam07

FNG
What are you doing to make the improvements you'd like to see?

Do you have more responsibility to champion a cause when thousands of people like your photos, than if you never let others see your photos? What if your passion is just taking amazing photos?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I do everything I can as an individual, including calling out other hunters when they suggest anti-hunting ideas. Which in my state happens every rifle season when sourpuss bowhunters get their feelings hurt, and they start saying we need to move rifle season, we need to eliminate out of state hunting tags, we need to get rid of rifle season and only have a shotgun season like Iowa, just so that they can shoot bigger bucks more often.

If having social media, having a big following is supposed to do good work.... where is it? Where is the good being done? A lot of these influerncers aren't even doing the basics.

Give me examples of the good being done, we have plenty of examples of bad coming out of it, whether it's the Africa ban or the Bowmars getting a bear take removed, or it's people seeing a pretty photo flocking to the area and damaging the environment because they trample everything.

The only thing being brought up is theory, in theory more hunters is good, is it panning out? The more hunters is better conjecture.

Last edited:

Deadfall

WKR
Every government group has committees and councils. I’ll use Montana since that what I’m involved with. If you go to mtfwp site. It’s not hard to find FWP commission committees. From there you can easily reach out to whatever committee you wish and voice your concerns and ideas.

how many folks are doing that. Very very few from general public. It’s not until a special interest group has spent a lot of time finally convincing the committee to try what they want. Then there is a huge outcry from general public. Still very few alternative ideas offered. Just criticizing the idea that’s been floated.

The folks on these committees are mostly well intentioned, they also have lives and may not always be abreast of all sides within a given issue. I have not ever talked to a single person in these (groups) that was not engaging and inquisitive about my ideas. When people only show up with complaint, that’s a different story.

Dont be a broken wheel with nothing but problems. Be a squeaky wheel that offers solutions. That’s how we change the tide.

Also, start paying attention to where and how you spend your money. Might cost more in short term and be a bit of heartache. I long term it will pay huge dividends.

folks need to stop being lazy and negative. Out of problem into solution

JRam07

FNG
Aaron and the gang are constantly involved in issues that matter. Some they talk about and some they don't. Are folks like Aaron a big personality and sometimes hard to digest....Well maybe, maybe not. Perspectives I guess.

I dont know anything about Ryan..Seems counterproductive to me too work for a place who partially funds anti hunting type stuff. While talking about hunter issues.

I believe if consumers were better informed, then messages from people like Ryan would be hindered. Also believe the ronella brand would be as well. Which would hopefully affect a bit of change.

Simple fact is, consumers for most part just don't know they are cutting their own throats by supporting companies that support anti hunting issues. I think most folks care more about easy/right now, than they do principle.

I've never heard of those other 2 you mention. I agree NRA is dang sure polluted.

Yes Aaron calls for action. The message of the podcast was to stop liking the videos the hurt us. If, we stop hitting the like or follow buttons there is, little to no money for the jokers to keep going.. at the very least their nonsense would reach fewer people.. Which is the general message from them and matt...
Do you think Instagram is funding pro hunting things? Apple? Spotify? All these influencer are giving them much more money using those platforms.

Is the message getting out better than the harm being done, seems to be a question that can be applied to meateater and Aaron Snyder, or any influencer.

But because it's more direct with Meateater it's used to call them out, and because it's more convoluted with people using Instagram, Facebook, Apple, Spotify it isn't.

Meanwhile I can go buy something on MeatEater right now and contribute to the corner crossing fight with a part of the money I spend.

Deadfall

WKR
I do everything I can as an individual, including calling out other hunters when they suggest anti-hunting ideas. Which in my state happens every rifle season when sourpuss bowhunters get hurt, and they start saying we need to move rifle season, we need to eliminate out of state hunting tags, we need to get rid of rifle season and only have a shotgun season like Iowa.

If having social media, having a big following is supposed to do good work.... where is it? Where is the good being done? A lot of these influerncers aren't even doing the basics.

Give me examples of the good being done, we have plenty of examples of bad coming out of it, whether it's the Africa ban or the Bowmars getting a bear take removed, or it's people seeing a pretty photo flocking to the area and damaging the environment because they trample everything.

The only thing being brought up is theory, in theory more hunters is good, is it panning out? The more hunters is better conjecture.
How many people listened to the round table and for first time heard that Rhineland is being funded in part by a anti 2nd amendment anti predator hunting group?

How many people will stop using products made by companies rinella owns…Vey few is my guess.

How many people are healthier today and eating fresh meat because of cam Hane?
here’s a fun fact….80 percent of beef bought in stores in America is shipped in from other countries. In my mind it’s using hunting platforms to open people to the idea of hunting for fresh meat is more valid today then ever.

last year in Montana we had more nonsense in legislature then ever before. Compliments of this forum and a couple others, we were able to discuss and effect change in a lot of those issues. There was still some stuff that pushed through in the 11th hour that never should of. That only happened because we slacked off on spreading information. We started patting ourselves on the back for all the good we did. The other side was still being dillegen.

it more critical now then ever before that as the general public we never stop. Must stay focused. THE OTHER SIDE IS NOT GOING TO STOP.

Deadfall

WKR
Do you think Instagram is funding pro hunting things? Apple? Spotify? All these influencer are giving them much more money using those platforms.

Is the message getting out better than the harm being done, seems to be a question that can be applied to meateater and Aaron Snyder, or any influencer.

But because it's more direct with Meateater it's used to call them out, and because it's more convoluted with people using Instagram, Facebook, Apple, Spotify it isn't.

Meanwhile I can go buy something on MeatEater right now and contribute to the corner crossing fight with a part of the money I spend.
platforms Are not the issue. Each side uses them so that’s a wash. For my end. I’m not involved with any of those platforms.

The message was talked about in depth I thought. Aaron and the gang did a good job in discussing the what, where, and why of posting stuff. Aaron in particular did a fine job in explaining his point of view about the spear thing. He also did a fine job of explaining his POV about guys different then him, like the hush kids.

The entire point of this thread is about the platforms and what’s on them. Sure seems like this thread is calling out a bunch of things. Also discussing a bunch things.

You can contribute to the corner crossing fight without buying anything! Can also contribute to lots of other issues without buying anything. Our voice Is the single most powerful tool we own!

In our government right now there is huge fight going on to bring big tech to the wood shed.

JRam07

FNG
How many people listened to the round table and for first time heard that Rhineland is being funded in part by a anti 2nd amendment anti predator hunting group?

How many people will stop using products made by companies rinella owns…Vey few is my guess.

How many people are healthier today and eating fresh meat because of cam Hane?
here’s a fun fact….80 percent of beef bought in stores in America is shipped in from other countries. In my mind it’s using hunting platforms to open people to the idea of hunting for fresh meat is more valid today then ever.

last year in Montana we had more nonsense in legislature then ever before. Compliments of this forum and a couple others, we were able to discuss and effect change in a lot of those issues. There was still some stuff that pushed through in the 11th hour that never should of. That only happened because we slacked off on spreading information. We started patting ourselves on the back for all the good we did. The other side was still being dillegen.

it more critical now then ever before that as the general public we never stop. Must stay focused. THE OTHER SIDE IS NOT GOING TO STOP.
I live in beef country, having a bunch of people who eat beef, didn't help the fight for country of origin labeling.

I see no reason why people eating game meat would help that situation either.

If the benefit of social media is that it can bring awareness, then the people with the biggest followings have to start that. MeatEater probably does this the best out of everyone, despite their anti-2a anti-predator hunting owner.

And some people calling them out for their owner do a worse job, don't even bring attention, even promote anti-hunting ideas, or divide the hunting community.

JRam07

FNG
platforms Are not the issue. Each side uses them so that’s a wash. For my end. I’m not involved with any of those platforms.

The message was talked about in depth I thought. Aaron and the gang did a good job in discussing the what, where, and why of posting stuff. Aaron in particular did a fine job in explaining his point of view about the spear thing. He also did a fine job of explaining his POV about guys different then him, like the hush kids.

The entire point of this thread is about the platforms and what’s on them. Sure seems like this thread is calling out a bunch of things. Also discussing a bunch things.

You can contribute to the corner crossing fight without buying anything! Can also contribute to lots of other issues without buying anything. Our voice Is the single most powerful tool we own!

In our government right now there is huge fight going on to bring big tech to the wood shed.
If platforms aren't the problem why are people upset that MeatEaters platform is owned by a guy who doesn't like predator hunting and the 2a? All of the popular platforms are. Since being bought by that guy how much has MeatEater expanded and how much of a bugger platform to they now have? It's not a problem until they stop talking about it, they haven't, they've expanded they've brought in Clay Newcomb one of the biggest advocates for bear and hound hunting, and gave him a bigger platform

Of course you can contribute to the corner crossing thing without buying anything, provided you know about it. But if you are buying something the option to donate to it is beneficial as well.

On Aaron's podcast they also talked about a group who posts bad stuff, but he likes it anyways because they're personal friends. Similar to how Levi Morgan and Greg Poole are if people call out the Bowmars.

Deadfall

WKR
If platforms aren't the problem why are people upset that MeatEaters platform is owned by a guy who doesn't like predator hunting and the 2a? All of the popular platforms are. Since being bought by that guy how much has MeatEater expanded and how much of a bugger platform to they now have? It's not a problem until they stop talking about it, they haven't, they've expanded they've brought in Clay Newcomb one of the biggest advocates for bear and hound hunting, and gave him a bigger platform

Of course you can contribute to the corner crossing thing without buying anything, provided you know about it. But if you are buying something the option to donate to it is beneficial as well.

On Aaron's podcast they also talked about a group who posts bad stuff, but he likes it anyways because they're personal friends. Similar to how Levi Morgan and Greg Poole are if people call out the Bowmars.
ok, once again. It's not the platforms. It's what consumers are supporting. Consumers are supporting the short term, with not much thought as to the long term effects. NRA is a perfect example of what happens in the long term. As are unions. Both were exceptional in the beginning. Now are just as corrupt as what they were fighting against. Do they still accomplish some good. Yap...Is it worth the cost...IDK...

Does meateater do some good...Yap...is it worth the cost...I do not believe so. His platform was huge before he branched out. Definitely has opened the door to corruption through attrition. What Kifarucast was getting at is to stop supporting what is hurting us as a community. Is anything perfect...Well, no. Unfortunately we are still just flawed humans. We can definitely make our voices heard and effect change through what we say and what we do!

If meateater started receiving messages that his company is going to start loosing massive amounts of revenue if he stays in bed with the other side would anything change? Most likely not. However if those messages are followed with action...well I bet he would be searching out different donors, and a message would be sent to others. that message...better fly right or there will be consequences. As consumers we don't do that. Instead we are using a toothpick to cut our own throats, one prick at a time.

Agreed, absolutely nothing wrong with monetary donation to a cause. How much of that money goes to the cause you are interested in? How much goes to the cause Churnan is interested in? Kind of Russian roulette.

He likes the people as people. Not the message those people are putting out. I love my wife. Just because I don't always agree with her, does not mean I stop liking her as a person. I say good on Aaron for telling him not to post that. Not Aarons fault bowmar did not listen. Also good on him for picking on people that wear flat brims. I think it's funny. I also think people are way to sensitive.

I do not know who levi morgan or greg poole are. or what they say about Bowmars, so I can't comment on that. the only thing I know about bowmar is from the video I watched. that was plenty for me!

Deadfall

WKR
I live in beef country, having a bunch of people who eat beef, didn't help the fight for country of origin labeling.

If the benefit of social media is that it can bring awareness, then the people with the biggest followings have to start that. MeatEater probably does this the best out of everyone, despite their anti-2a anti-predator hunting owner.

And some people calling them out for their owner do a worse job, don't even bring attention, even promote anti-hunting ideas, or divide the hunting community.
Me too. How many of those people were on social media. wasn't much media to be on back then. That was not very long ago. How many of those people were searching out the antis of that issue and giving out free meat while discussing the issue. Or having them over for dinner and feed them fresh home grown beef while discussing the issue. now you hear nothing of it. Or very little. Although there are a few little coveys of folks fighting the fight. they are not taking to social media however to spread the message.
you know there is a group formed of american ranchers that are sending USA beef directly to houses. You can sign up pay some money and they ship directly to your house. Why are they not better well known? Not using whats available.

People believe what they san see, hear, touch and taste. How many people has Joe Rogan converted or at least softened. That happened because of the work Cameron Hanes has put in. So from one person, thousands have been reached and at the very least their perspective has changed. What would happen if we all took that kind of approach. I have lots of friends that don't hunt. For certain occasions they ask for some wild game. feed to their friends. All of a sudden there's another few people that no longer hate hunters even though they themselves are not interested in killing.

The beef industry sold out long ago and are now paying for it. My opinion.

My book. Joe Rogan is top of the awareness chart. Simply because of the diversity of his crowd. I do not agree with all he says. The man is true to who he is, I can respect that.

I do not follow your last sentence.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Cam Hanes posted a lengthy rant on his IG about Rinellas blood origins podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR

To be fair and honest, the WA spring bear ban was all over IG from various sources, large and small.

Status
Not open for further replies.