Unit 13 Idaho

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm thinking of applying for this tag as a NR. Curious about others experience hunting this area. PM please. Any info is appreciated.

I’ve researched it. A family member has done some work and has knowledge of the area.

From talking to the bio and looking at OnX there is very little public land. There’s a fair amount of tags and all the license holders will go to the same spot.

It’s a nice area and can produce good animals like on the private which is leased to the outfitter.

If you put a toe out of line, you’re in trouble too because the worst POS of landowners in Idaho, the Wilkes Bros, have extensive land holdings in the unit and are happy to brawl whenever.

Bottom line is there’s a reason why the draw odds might look attractive to you and residents generally understand this.

OP
S.Clancy

S.Clancy

WKR
Ah, the Wilkes brothers, they own a bunch in MT too, and use similar tactics.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've spent a lot of time rafting the lower salmon thru the north section of unit 13. The interspersed public land gets hit hard during the hunting season. You can access some small areas of public land from the river, either by raft, drift boat or some stretches by jet boat. I can tell you personally after having a cow elk tag this season, that you will be climbing hands and knees to get up above the river. I'm 28 and in good shape and it took me 3 days to pack out my elk, and that was all downhill (also took a little tumble with a 100 lb pack, amazed I didn't tear my ACL/MCL. thanks to the nasty rose bushes for catching my fall)

Besides steep, most of the sections along the river have very nasty rose bush thickets. After spring bear hunting in this unit my buddy and I came out empty handed, with blood dripping from our arms and our jackets/pants ruined.

The Salmon river side has less mule deer more whitetail (lots more pine/fir trees). The snake river side is more mule deer friendly, but the river is gnarly and besides Pittsburgh landing public land area, the river is the only other realistic access.

But hey if your "hardcore" like all the youtube guys, go for it. I personally don't plan on going back. Only way I see it being a reasonable hunt is for a guy with a jet boat and knowledge of that section of the river.

I've spent a lot of time rafting the lower salmon thru the north section of unit 13. The interspersed public land gets hit hard during the hunting season. You can access some small areas of public land from the river, either by raft, drift boat or some stretches by jet boat. I can tell you personally after having a cow elk tag this season, that you will be climbing hands and knees to get up above the river. I'm 28 and in good shape and it took me 3 days to pack out my elk, and that was all downhill (also took a little tumble with a 100 lb pack, amazed I didn't tear my ACL/MCL. thanks to the nasty rose bushes for catching my fall)

Besides steep, most of the sections along the river have very nasty rose bush thickets. After spring bear hunting in this unit my buddy and I came out empty handed, with blood dripping from our arms and our jackets/pants ruined.

The Salmon river side has less mule deer more whitetail (lots more pine/fir trees). The snake river side is more mule deer friendly, but the river is gnarly and besides Pittsburgh landing public land area, the river is the only other realistic access.

But hey if your "hardcore" like all the youtube guys, go for it. I personally don't plan on going back. Only way I see it being a reasonable hunt is for a guy with a jet boat and knowledge of that section of the river.

This is pretty crafty and takes the right guy. River break country in Idaho is a total biotch. You still don’t have much country to hunt coming up from the river though.

Most importantly, congrats on the elk.