Unit 17B Brown Bear

Max333

FNG
Hey Guys!

Hope you’re doing great !

So I booked a brown bear hunt through Steve’s outdoor adventures for this coming August in unit 17B Alaska with guide Justin Johns. Hoping to shoot a 9 footer with my bow! This is my first western hunt and I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about that unit, the guide or anything at all that you think would be helpful

Thanks !

Alaska just did a big aerial depredation cull in that gmu. They killed 94 brown bears. Hopefully it wasn’t in the area you will hunt?

Brown bears with a bow can be tough! Not sure I could pass on a legal bear with a bow to hold out for something bigger… good luck should be an adventure either way

For a first western hunt that is diving off the deep end

OP
M

Max333

FNG
Alaska just did a big aerial depredation cull in that gmu. They killed 94 brown bears. Hopefully it wasn’t in the area you will hunt?

Brown bears with a bow can be tough! Not sure I could pass on a legal bear with a bow to hold out for something bigger… good luck should be an adventure either way

For a first western hunt that is diving off the deep end
Wow no way I did not know they killed 94 bears in that unit that kind of sucks lol. This was in 2023?

I’m definitely not looking to pass a legal bear. This hunt im looking to just be successful if everything works out I’ll try for Kodiak one day in life.

Yep I was just so sick of hearing people say “oh we should do this hunt or that hunt one day” and never wanting to put things together so I said screw it im booking this hunt and going off the deep end!

Yes that was last year-

Once again not sure if that is in your guide area 🤷🏻‍♂️

The best brown bear hunts are on Kodiak and the Peninsula but they are very expensive (gmu 8,9) or if you can draw gmu 10 it’s pretty much a guaranteed bear.

Kodiak is pretty much a 100% draw for Non Residents since they currently give half the tags away as outfitter welfare- a source of contention for the residents who can’t draw. (Not even if they pay for the outfitter- NR only tags)

The Peninsula is OTC but you pay for it

OP
M

Max333

FNG
Gotcha yea guide is in the western third of 17B.

Yep I definitely want to do the peninsula or Kodiak but as this is my first western I’m doing a little less expensive and “easier” hunt.

We shall see but hopefully this hunt works out. The guide does moose also and it’s supposedly a really good moose area so if successful I’ll probably book a moose hunt with him in the future lol

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
I think he said Justin Johns, who also has a concession in 17A.
I don't think all 94 bears were shot in 17B.
I think most of them were in Unit 18, but that's just across the border.

Lots of bears in that country.

OP
M

Max333

FNG
Yep it is Justin Johns any info on him?

Also per google - The bears were shot from the air in and around Wood-Tikchik State Park in southwestern Alaska

I am hunting Tikchik which is kind of annoying but looks like it was mostly cubs they took out. Either way I’m just going to go into it with a very positive attitude and hope to shoot an 8’+ bear