Unit 39 Wyoming

Tyglick

FNG
Headed to unit 39 in Wyoming in 2 weeks with a group with 5 rifle tags. We have horses and prescouted in late July. It looked very promising. Any other info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

tmidthun

FNG
Headed to unit 39 in Wyoming in 2 weeks with a group with 5 rifle tags. We have horses and prescouted in late July. It looked very promising. Any other info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

How did your trip end up? Doing some planning and 39 is on the list for the archery season.

OP
Tyglick

Tyglick

FNG
Archery hopefully is different than rifle. For rifle deer and elk open the same day and there were hunters everywhere! Plus there is a atv road down every drainage which everyone drove and scared everything out of the country. We had a big herd pin pointed for opening day with some nice bulls. Got in and above them before light and then the atvs drove down threw the bottom and chased everything away. We ended up with 2 out 5. Cow and rag horn. But struggled after the first day. There is a lot of elk in the unit just tough hunting and a ton of pressure. Watch the weather. We got stranded for 2 extra days but we were not in any danger. Good luck!

tmidthun

FNG
Archery hopefully is different than rifle. For rifle deer and elk open the same day and there were hunters everywhere! Plus there is a atv road down every drainage which everyone drove and scared everything out of the country. We had a big herd pin pointed for opening day with some nice bulls. Got in and above them before light and then the atvs drove down threw the bottom and chased everything away. We ended up with 2 out 5. Cow and rag horn. But struggled after the first day. There is a lot of elk in the unit just tough hunting and a ton of pressure. Watch the weather. We got stranded for 2 extra days but we were not in any danger. Good luck!

That is the first thing I noticed when I pulled up the map was all the roads in that unit. Pretty crazy.

If a guy was willing to walk a good amount a distance could you get away from the roads or is everything pretty much within shouting distance of a road?

I'm originally from the general area, but have never hunted the unit. I can see how you could get stuck for a couple days when the weather turns. Appreciate the info.

OP
Tyglick

Tyglick

FNG
I feel like there are roads everywhere. We had horses and utvs. The horses were a waste. We had to join the party and drive the side by sides like everyone else. Horses were getting left in the dust. I’m just not used to that. We usually hunt the jackson area before wolves got bad and used horses. It worked great but pretty much every trial over there is non motorized. We talked to the game warden and wondered about all the roads. He just said welcome to the big horns. You can drive everywhere ! Which I agree. Nobody was breaking the rules. They all stayed on trials. Just too many