Upcoming Year

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
Any gear advice for backcountry newbie?
My advise is not to get too caught up in the gear aspect. If your goal is to be successful, patients, persistence, and grit are far more important.

My rule for gear is to ask myself, “Will this make me a more effective hunter?”. If the answer is yes, then it’s worth purchasing.

nm_nomad

FNG
September- Colorado
November- South Dakota
January- New Mexico
All dependent on draws.
Need to update packs for Colorado backcountry.

AJMag

FNG
Gain a point, and research CO hunting to death. That's the plan. Got more questions than I'm finding answers.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I found a tag with suspiciously good odds and I think it's worth trying.

Given a highly suspect right shoulder that will likely need some serious surgery at some point, this will be my first year giving the smokepole a try while I shoot 3-D during the summer to make an educated decision if six months of rehab is worth it or not.

Cashed in my points in Colorado last year - happy to get out of the points game and got a great buck. This year I'm crossing my fingers on a tag but will be mostly be focused on my son's first hunt. If I don't draw the same unit as him, I'll see what I can pull in the leftover and reissued lists. Think I'll look to start cashing in out of state points next year.

Any gear advice for backcountry newbie?
As a bonafide gear w#ore, I’d say don’t even worry about that right now. Basics in the beginning are best as you learn the animal. Decent binoculars, comfortable waterproof boots, a sharp knife, some game bags, a pack that is comfortable, and a rangefinder.

If there’s some things I’d recommend investing in it would be a Zoleo satellite communicator, a decent medical kit with a tourniquet, and a subscription to ONX or one of the others. Learn how these things work and then go have a blast in the hills.

Gonna back out this year and give the Wyoming Julie’s a break, they been having a hard time. Will devote my deer hunting to eastern white tails, been watching a couple that will fit the bill nicely. Will start in Sept. and hunt all the way to late Jan.

MULIES — damn auto correct. Anyway good hunting to those of you who are planning on chasing them.

AJMag

FNG
MULIES — damn auto correct. Anyway good hunting to those of you who are planning on chasing them.
Julies, mulies.... both sound expensive, only one keeps you warm. Tough choice...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

ColoradoV

WKR
My father put in for a high country archery tag he will draw... He hunts w a longbow, will be 82, hunting/scouting at 11,500’+, replaced knee 2 years ago, beat cancer a year ago, and heading to the high country this fall!

There is no finish line…

IMG_8741.jpeg

Jaker_cc

WKR
My father put in for a high country archery tag he will draw... He hunts w a longbow, will be 82, hunting/scouting at 11,500’+, replaced knee 2 years ago, beat cancer a year ago, and heading to the high country this fall!

There is no finish line…

View attachment 696860

If that’s not inspiring I don’t know what is. I hope the trip is everything he wants it to be.