*Update* InReach error “ unknown device IMEI...”

ODB

WKR
Any of you ever get this error? If so, how did you resolve it?? I’ve reinstalled the software twice, tried booting into firmware upgrade mode, tried three different cables, two different computers, confirmed my login and password and prayed to several deities.

any help is appreciated.

I've never seen that error. Probably time to call Garmin customer service. Out of curiosity, is this a new (or new-to-you) unit that you're setting up for the first time? Or has it worked for you in the past and just now began giving you trouble?

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve dealt with that same issue on a unit I got around March. Initial setup went fine and used the unit but can no longer update it even though says an update is a available. Have been on the phone several times with garmin support and that has gone nowhere.

gelton

WKR
I ran into this a couple of years ago and Garmin support was very helpful, I don't remember what they did but it worked...

It was actually very early in the "switch"...device was actually branded garmin but was one of the first ones produced under that name.

I said that because my experience with DeLorme was top notch. THey went way out of there way... My experience with Garmin was so incredibly bad I terminated service.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
IMEI is referring to the cell modem inside the device. If that device is not registered correctly it won't connect to their system.

gelton

WKR
I said that because my experience with DeLorme was top notch. THey went way out of there way... My experience with Garmin was so incredibly bad I terminated service.
maybe true but garmin support is 1000x better than the next best alternative SPOT...cant stand those guys.

maybe true but garmin support is 1000x better than the next best alternative SPOT...cant stand those guys.
1000 x almost nothing is still almost nothing. But I get your point. There is another company not using the Iridium network, but right now I can not recall their name.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Ok, here’s what it was.

I am getting ready to use it again, and went to update the software. I had NOT YET paid the service fee, I only wanted to do some updates, check the contacts, etc. I have done this before without having an active account (about two years ago.)

can’t do that anymore. In order to Update the software, or push anything to the inReach ( including a time zone change) you must have a paid subscription.

so, chalk this one up to old dogs/ new tricks.

thanks for all the comments otherwise.

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
1000 x almost nothing is still almost nothing. But I get your point. There is another company not using the Iridium network, but right now I can not recall their name.

Why would you get a satellite messenger/SOS device that wasn’t on the Iridium network?

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
Equatorial satellites are notoriously untrustworthy on the north side of mountains in Alaska. Low look angle + obstruction = no bueno.

Hard pass. I don’t want any “what-ifs” involved when it’s time to hit the little red button.