Updates to Western Wyo Scouting

Sure am glad to hear there's some muleys thriving. Any word on numbers through out the area guys are seeing? I've heard from a few guys it's not nearly as bad as they thought it was going to be.

OP
Jaden Bales
Sure am glad to hear there's some muleys thriving. Any word on numbers through out the area guys are seeing? I've heard from a few guys it's not nearly as bad as they thought it was going to be.
Most guys I'm talking to are finding 15-20 bucks a day, but when I ask them, they realize they hadn't counted in previous years. There are a couple of places on the west side of the range where numbers haven't been as good, but I'm getting messages like this that they're showing up now.

I think only the winter range count will tell us what really happened, unfortunately.

Most guys I'm talking to are finding 15-20 bucks a day, but when I ask them, they realize they hadn't counted in previous years. There are a couple of places on the west side of the range where numbers haven't been as good, but I'm getting messages like this that they're showing up now.

I think only the winter range count will tell us what really happened, unfortunately.
That's awesome. I usually run all over wyoming range and salt river range in 15 days. I won't make it this year due to drawing a late season tag but I will miss it. I am glad to hear that bucks are showing up and can't wait to see what sept 15 holds. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Jaden Bales
That's awesome. I usually run all over wyoming range and salt river range in 15 days. I won't make it this year due to drawing late season but I will miss it. I am glad to hear that bucks are showing up and can't wait to see what sept 15 holds. Thanks for posting.
Congrats on that tag! It should be dang good. That winter range seemed like it was in the snow shadow all winter.

I just glassed a spot last night where the first time I saw 1 deer - a small buck on July 10th. Counted 16 deer, and 9 were bucks yesterday evening using the same glassing knob.

huntnful

WKR
Spent 7 days up there and glassed over 100 bucks. Lots of 130-150” bucks. Not many real big mature bucks, but the population was looking solid to me. Only one small range seemed to be void of deer, but the rest seemed to be 20+ bucks from every vantage.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I won't make it this year due to drawing late season but I will miss it.
I'll trade you my general for your late tag! I used to live there, and would drive the roads past the Game & Fish owned land in November and drool over all of the nice bucks hanging out in the fields dreaming I had a tag in my pocket.

I'll trade you my general for your late tag! I used to live there, and would drive the roads past the Game & Fish owned land and drool over all of the nice bucks hanging out in the fields dreaming I had a tag in my pocket.
I was pretty stoked when I drew it. If you happen to have any tips you'd be willing to share I'd appreciate a message if you have time. We'll be there for the last 10 days. We actually party tag drew it my buddy and I are stoked!!

OP
Jaden Bales
3% draw odds for NRs in the Special Draw with maximum preference points (17). For what it's worth, it's all right by me to keep her in there!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha can the odds get much lower for the late tag? But by all means please do
I don’t know about the area being discussed here but I’ve had to edit quite a bit of Colorado threads. Hypothetical example: “didn’t turn up any goats scouting unit X along Y ridge above somewhere creek but several nice mule deer”. That goat tag is hard to get but the deer tag is easy and might be an otc elk area. That would blow out a spot pretty quick.