Upgrades

BFM

FNG
I'm currently shooting a Mathews Chill X and want to stick with it but I'm thinking of making some upgrades to the current set up. Going to be building some new arrows, either Easton FMJ or Gold Tip Hunter, I'm shooting 70# with 29.5" draw. Want this to be an elk killer even though I will probably have a lot more opportunities to take deer with it. Ideas on what total weight arrows I should be shooting for? I know I will want a good FOC, so I will likely have an insert up front.
Currently have a Black Gold fixed 5 pin and a QAD HDX. For the sight I'm thinking about switching to a Pure Gold 75 or Ascent Verdict, is the micro adjust worth the cost? Trophy Taker Option could be in the mix as well.
Also considering going to a limb driven rest, Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Microtune or TT Smakdown Pro. Again is the micro adjust worth it on the rest?

FWIW I have had a hard time tuning broadheads with my current set up and I am considering switching to a high quality mechanical depending what my arrow weight and momentum are. I've never shot it through a chrono or anything.

Any others I should be considering for these upgrades?

Either arrow would work just fine in my opinion. If a good FOC is what you'd want, you're probably going to need to run a brass insert. I just ran the number on a GT PH 340, and if you cut one to 28.5" which should be plenty sufficient, with a 100gr brass insert, 100gr point, their accu-lite nock and just just 3 blazers, you should come out to about 480gr with a shade over 17% FOC. That'd be a great all around arrow I think. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally bending them! Regarding the sight, I can't say you'd be able to go wrong with any of those choices, but I guess I've never really found any real benefit to a micro adjustable sight. If you spend the time to get it dialed in, you'll be fine. However, having a micro adjustable rest is pretty awesome whenever tuning and especially when broadhead tuning. That hamskea is a dynamite rest I think, pretty bomb proof. Hamskea beats the smackdown every time in my opinion.

Oh, and what have you been shooting for broadheads? And just out of curiosity, what arrow are you currently running?

FMJ is a great arrow, been shooting them for years. Some have had bending issues with them others have not. I like them because they are heavy.

As far as switching to a mechanical head you are honestly looking into that for the wrong reason. If you are having trouble broadhead tuning it is because you do not have good arrow flight. Simply screwing a mechanical head onto a poor flying arrow will allow to shoot with your FP's but it won't correct the poor arrow flight. You couple poor arrow flight with a mechanical head you are not going to have good terminal arrow performance.

I'm not trying to start a mech vs fixed debate but you should work to achieve the best arrow flight possible no matter the head you are shooting.

Good stuff jackwagon, thanks.

I've seen a lot of positive posts on the hamskea on this site.
Currently shooting the FMJ 340 with QAD exodus heads.

I second the comment regarding the micro adjust on your sight. I am not a fan of the micro adjust pins on the black gold sights, can cause some vibration and noise on the shot. but i do like the micro adjust verdictal and horizontal. Spot Hogg has a great micro adjust pin system, but you have to adjust them correctly.

I'd love to give you a quote on a sight and or answer any questions you have. We also offer a rokslide discount as well. PM me for more info.

rob

I second the comment regarding the micro adjust on your sight. I am not a fan of the micro adjust pins on the black gold sights, can cause some vibration and noise on the shot. but i do like the micro adjust verdictal and horizontal. Spot Hogg has a great micro adjust pin system, but you have to adjust them correctly.

I'd love to give you a quote on a sight and or answer any questions you have. We also offer a rokslide discount as well. PM me for more info.

rob
Rob. I'll send you a pm. Thanks.

Rob hit the nail on the head, spot hogg's adjustments are the bomb I think, I've been going back and forth between some single pin sights and my old trusty Hoggit, and that thing is just so easy to get precisely dialed in. But back on to your arrow flight stuff, I feel fairly confident that if you get your bow tuned right, you should have no issues with arrow flight. I owned a chill-x for a year and loved that bow, and really the only thing that can go wrong regarding tuning, is your cam timing (you'll know if it's off if your hear or feel 2 clicks or stops at full draw). Once that is good and your rest and nock point are square, that thing should be good to go. Big key to getting the best fixed blade flight possible though, is to have your arrows fletched with a helical. I use an AAE E-Z fletch mini with blazer vanes, and after that's done, you should have tighter groups - with and without broadheads.

Rob hit the nail on the head, spot hogg's adjustments are the bomb I think, I've been going back and forth between some single pin sights and my old trusty Hoggit, and that thing is just so easy to get precisely dialed in. But back on to your arrow flight stuff, I feel fairly confident that if you get your bow tuned right, you should have no issues with arrow flight. I owned a chill-x for a year and loved that bow, and really the only thing that can go wrong regarding tuning, is your cam timing (you'll know if it's off if your hear or feel 2 clicks or stops at full draw). Once that is good and your rest and nock point are square, that thing should be good to go. Big key to getting the best fixed blade flight possible though, is to have your arrows fletched with a helical. I use an AAE E-Z fletch mini with blazer vanes, and after that's done, you should have tighter groups - with and without broadheads.

Going to take it to a shop next week and see if they can help me get tuned up.

Getting ready to buy arrows. I think I've been running about 28.5" arrows. The gold tip chart shows 340 spine for 28" and 300 spine for 29"
All I have are 340 spine should I be stepping up to 300?

If you are thinking of increasing foc with more tip weight (weighted insert) then get the 300s. 340s might work but you will have less flexibility in arrow weight.

If you are thinking of increasing foc with more tip weight (weighted insert) then get the 300s. 340s might work but you will have less flexibility in arrow weight.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on some FMJ's. 300 spine, 50gr up front. Would give me a total arrow weight around 520 and an FOC of 11-12%

Thinking about pulling the trigger on some FMJ's. 300 spine, 50gr up front. Would give me a total arrow weight around 520 and an FOC of 11-12%

After playing with some different arrow combinations and calculators, I have it down to these choices and I'm choking on options.

BE Deep Impact 510g total 13.5% FOC and flying 275-280 fps.
BE Rampage 451g total 16% FOC and flying 294-298 fps.
BE Spartan 451g total 15% FOC and flying 294-298 fps.
Easton Axis N Fused 508g total 14% FOC flying 275-281 fps.
Easton FMJ 520g total 11.5% FOC flying 271-277 fps.

Your FOC numbers will be higher if you use the arrow and figure it rather than a calculator. Mine have always been higher when I actually measure the value. I shoot a similar FMJ 300 and it is between 15%-16% when measured.

Your FOC numbers will be higher if you use the arrow and figure it rather than a calculator. Mine have always been higher when I actually measure the value. I shoot a similar FMJ 300 and it is between 15%-16% when measured.

Interesting. I was considering taking the FMJ out of the running because I wanted to be in the 14-16 range.

Another option to look into if you really like to tinker. Lancaster sells arrows by the individual shaft. Order a shaft of each that you want to try, build them and then shoot them all side by side and see if you can find a measurable difference. You would also be able to get them in your hands and look them over.

I think a gold tip kinetic would be able to solve all of your problems, run some numbers on them.

I think a gold tip kinetic would be able to solve all of your problems, run some numbers on them.
The .006 tolerance ones are way cheaper than the other options. How noticeable is the straightness variation?
I'm going to go with those at a total of 498 grains or the Axis at 508.

Updates

Ordered
Black Gold Ascent Verdict with 4" dovetail, 1 3/4" widow maker, 5 pin. (thanks S&S).
Black Eagle Carnivore 250 .001, 468 grains w/ 100g point and 12.4% FOC, 493 and 14% if I use 125 points.
Hamskea Hybrid Hunter.

Now what? Always had work done at a shop but I'd like to try to do this on my own. What do I need to get the site and rest mounted properly to start paper tuning?

Back