Upgrading Trucks Tundra, Gm, or f150

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Had 5 new gmc, overdrive tranny is junk. Ordered a rebel ecodiesal thru Costco. Took 7 weeks to get it from michigan. 900 mile range. Gets 27mpg highway. 1 inch factory lift, no issues.

Attachments

• 20220205_142127.jpg
    20220205_142127.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 66
Been a GM person all My life. Any positive notes from anyone on the newer models ? I have had the early 2000 ones , 2008 and a 2015 one. Never had problems but eventually want to upgrade after child support is DONE
Gm seems to be on the electric band wagon which makes me think twice. Tundra’s definitely a popular truck. I see em everywhere. Most be a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wi_fowler

FNG
As a gm guy myself, if you’re going half ton and new I’d say don’t get a gm. I had 2010 Silverado with the 6.2l that was a pretty good truck, got 280k out of it, needed a new motor and was quoted $10k for a used motor so I just sold it as is. The market was so high a year ago and didn’t want to overpay for a vehicle $10k+ so I bought a 1996 Sierra as a daily, it’s been a really good truck for me. 226k on it at the moment. I also have a 2018 Denali duramax with the L5p and 6 speed, those trucks seem to be proving themselves to be really reliable diesels and I think they pretty well have the emissions part worked out to run reliably. I’ve only owned it for a few months, bought it with 13k on it so time will tell.

I’d say Toyota tundra but I thought I heard they got rid of the 5.7 recently which was a proven motor and came out with something else.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Stay away from GM products unless you're prepared to put another transmission in it before a Hyundai warranty is up just put a new gone through 6L80 in mine.
Toyota for the win in my opinion mileage be damned.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
Another update,
The dealer received a transmission for my step fathers truck and is now in the process of being installed. Should be completed this week sometime. He's already on the lookout for a used Tundra.

Duh

WKR
I have a ‘13 with the 3.5 with 181,000 trouble free miles. Also have that 3.5 in my wife’s expedition. The newer 10 speed tranny does get better mileage so make sure it’s ‘18 or newer. We pull our 34’ camper with both trucks and they both do a good job but her truck with the newer tranny does do it a bit better.
Starting this back up. I have the 13 3.5 eco boost with 99,000 miles. I’ve had both manifolds crack and the bolts shear off in the engine block every time (happened around 78k and it was one after the other and out of warranty). Still had engine lights going off and Ford thought it was the O2 sensors and replaced those too. Was very expensive to say the least.

2 months later I still had check engine lite codes. Turns out it was The underboost valve and it caused me to get 8mpg and no power. Ford tried to tell me that it was likely my timing chain in the diagnosis and tried charging 7k to do that. They only plugged it into a code reader to come to that conclusion.

Some googling and YouTube on my end found out about the underboost problem and I fixed it myself. They tried charging me 70 dollars for 2 bolts that had previously rusted and broke off on the valve.

The 4 wheel drive seems to get stuck every now and again. Sometime I hear a loud crack when it shifts out of 4 high. Still waiting for the day that my twin turbos crap out.

On top of that, there has been a ton of electrical issues with my doors and windows.

Just a forewarning about their lug nuts on factory rims, those suckers swell up big time. God forbid you have to change a tire with a flimsy t bar. Just had two completely strip out due to the amount of force needed to get them off. Thank god we had a pipe wrench out we would have been screwed! Going to replace all lug nuts with some aftermarket’s now.

I get about 13.6 mpg in town and highway. 8mpg pulling a side by side and the truck seems like it constantly hunting for the right gear. The only thing that keeps me in this truck is that it’s paid off and so scratched up that I likely won’t get squat selling it off.

Had a 04 5.4 V8 and had the same issues with the manifolds and the 4wd went out in that too.

I’m over Ford to say the least. Really eying a 21 tundra and would happily pay for the gas mileage.

03mossy

WKR
Starting this back up. I have the 13 3.5 eco boost with 99,000 miles. I’ve had both manifolds crack and the bolts shear off in the engine block every time (happened around 78k and it was one after the other and out of warranty). Still had engine lights going off and Ford thought it was the O2 sensors and replaced those too. Was very expensive to say the least.

2 months later I still had check engine lite codes. Turns out it was The underboost valve and it caused me to get 8mpg and no power. Ford tried to tell me that it was likely my timing chain in the diagnosis and tried charging 7k to do that. They only plugged it into a code reader to come to that conclusion.

Some googling and YouTube on my end found out about the underboost problem and I fixed it myself. They tried charging me 70 dollars for 2 bolts that had previously rusted and broke off on the valve.

The 4 wheel drive seems to get stuck every now and again. Sometime I hear a loud crack when it shifts out of 4 high. Still waiting for the day that my twin turbos crap out.

On top of that, there has been a ton of electrical issues with my doors and windows.

Just a forewarning about their lug nuts on factory rims, those suckers swell up big time. God forbid you have to change a tire with a flimsy t bar. Just had two completely strip out due to the amount of force needed to get them off. Thank god we had a pipe wrench out we would have been screwed! Going to replace all lug nuts with some aftermarket’s now.

I get about 13.6 mpg in town and highway. 8mpg pulling a side by side and the truck seems like it constantly hunting for the right gear. The only thing that keeps me in this truck is that it’s paid off and so scratched up that I likely won’t get squat selling it off.

Had a 04 5.4 V8 and had the same issues with the manifolds and the 4wd went out in that too.

I’m over Ford to say the least. Really eying a 21 tundra and would happily pay for the gas mileage.
I am at 191,000 now but can no longer claim “trouble free”. Had the head gaskets replaced and a few other things about a month ago. It’s still not running right. Super doggy but my mileage went back up to 17mpg and it was at 14 when the head gasket was leaking. Check engine light is still on.

Reactions: Duh

Savagenut

WKR
I am at 191,000 now but can no longer claim “trouble free”. Had the head gaskets replaced and a few other things about a month ago. It’s still not running right. Super doggy but my mileage went back up to 17mpg and it was at 14 when the head gasket was leaking. Check engine light is still on.

Blown head gasket can trash the catalytic converters might be a cc going bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Stay away from GM products unless you're prepared to put another transmission in it before a Hyundai warranty is up just put a new gone through 6L80 in mine.
Toyota for the win in my opinion mileage be damned.
Getting her 3rd transmission now 😠

Anyone of those choices, minus the F150. For full transparency, I own and drive a 2014 F150 with the 5.0. It’s got 127k on it, and I’ve owned it since 2018/50k. I’ve had every imaginable problem that’s common with those trucks. I’ve put just over 21k in it since the warranty ran out at 100k in 2021. If I wasn’t buying my son a car for college and refinancing a house due to divorce, I’d have traded it in already. I’m looking at Tundra’s and GMC’s to replace it.

Reactions: Duh

benh

FNG
I have a 2016 F150, with the 3.5L Ecoboost, Super Crew, 6' bed, heavy duty load package. It currently has 206,000 miles on the clock and has been a rock solid truck Synthetic oil and filter changes every 10,000 miles, tires/shocks every 50,000, and new brakes/plugs/serpentine belt every 100,000, and that's been it. I get 22-23 mpg cruising at 65 unloaded, 12mpg loaded down pulling my 22' equipment trailer on western hunts, and 11mpg pulling my 8700lb, 36' 5th wheel. It's been one solid truck.
I have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and I get about 15-16mpg empty and 8mpg (or less) towing a 4500lb trailer. This mileage is according to the computer and have not checked it with the odometer and gallons of fuel used but I have no doubt it's that or worse. I don't think mine would get 20 mpg rolling down a hill.

I have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and I get about 15-16mpg empty and 8mpg (or less) towing a 4500lb trailer. This mileage is according to the computer and have not checked it with the odometer and gallons of fuel used but I have no doubt it's that or worse. I don't think mine would get 20 mpg rolling down a hill.
I avg 20 on mine, same engine with level and bigger tires. Also averaged over 20 in my Tacoma. It’s all about driving habits

I have a 2015 3.5 Eco with 147k miles.
Just did the underboost valve replacement and got back a ton of power and mileage.
The rest of the car has been very solid and reliable.
Way less required upgrades than my Toyota.

2017 f150 3.5 ecoboost 76k miles. It’s time I stop lying to myself about how great this truck is. When it works I love it, but I’ve had the following issues since I bought it with 29k - IWE grinding TSB, Cam Phasers TSB, warped dash replaced under warranty, throttle body and now my transmission is shifting funny. Time to trade it in.

Duh

WKR
I have a 2015 3.5 Eco with 147k miles.
Just did the underboost valve replacement and got back a ton of power and mileage.
The rest of the car has been very solid and reliable.
Way less required upgrades than my Toyota.
That underboost is no joke!