Uses for whitetail hind quarter cuts.

KP20129

FNG
Guys, I usually just use backstrap and tenderloins for steaks and maybe a few neck roasts. Feel like I am wasting some of the big muscles in the back legs on burger and sausage products. Lots of information on internet but, I struggle knowing what each muscle is called and remembering the name. To make it really easy I numbered the cuts. Please let me know what you would do with each muscle. If I had to guess off firmness of the meat I would go. 1. STEAK 2. ROAST 3. JERKY 4. STEAK. What do you think? How would you use each muscle? Thank you.

Attachments

• 20211106_100531.jpg
    20211106_100531.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 105

sndmn11

WKR
We do the top round as a London broil, the eye of round as a poor man's filet, and the sirloins as steaks. The bottom gets done as a roast shedded in the pressure cooker like barbacoa.

Brendan

WKR
I pretty much steak and grill all of those...

Not sure where I got this, but helpful although I've never heard the term "mock tender" before...

cd526e722dd66eec5dfb355a31e057a3.jpg

I would do the sirloin tip as jerky and roast the bottom round. Steak everything else or leave as a whole muscle and cook it that way to medium rare, rest, then slice to desired thickness for steak. Another option is to buy a handheld tenderizer and turn those steaks into country fried steak or steak fingers. On a front shoulder the mock tenders are tough, the blade you can split it in half lengthwise taking the tendon out to make it a flat iron steak. Keep the big “clod” muscle on the shoulder as a roast, jerky, or hamburger and sausage. I use the whole front shoulder for hamburger and sausage along with other trimmings.

Tod osier

WKR
Guys, I usually just use backstrap and tenderloins for steaks and maybe a few neck roasts. Feel like I am wasting some of the big muscles in the back legs on burger and sausage products. Lots of information on internet but, I struggle knowing what each muscle is called and remembering the name. To make it really easy I numbered the cuts. Please let me know what you would do with each muscle. If I had to guess off firmness of the meat I would go. 1. STEAK 2. ROAST 3. JERKY 4. STEAK. What do you think? How would you use each muscle? Thank you.

your 2 there is the best tasting cut on a deer, but with the connective tissue it can be tough. We keep them whole (trim to shape those a bit to remove the flaps) sous vide for a few hours at 125, slice into steaks and sear. Same for the top rounds, your 3, but the 3 are much more tender and no connective tissue within. Remove the eye on 3, the angular piece and you get a better cut (shape and removes connective tissue). Your 1 there we call “not loin” because once frozen it could be confused :), but that makes a nice piece steaked up in itself.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
On years when I shoot more than 1 deer, I take at least one entire hind quarter into the processor and get dried venison made. Make chipped venison in cream sauce over biscuits or toast. Add in some peas and or carrots, maybe some diced potatoes, etc. Shit on a shingle is what it's often referred to around here. Otherwise I break out my hind quarters into the primals, then vac seal. Sometimes I'll cook as a roast, sometimes I'll steak out, sometimes I'll just make a batch of jerky. I'm always doing different stuff with deer meat.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
I like to corn the sirloin tips. Makes great Rubens the next day.

WKR
Many youtube videos. I tend to keep round roasts, sirloin roasts whole. There is an inner round roast, kind of a 3" cylinder roast that I can up. Once you thaw a sirloin roast, you can either steak it or cook it whole. I have very little ground off a hind. The more we do the less we grind and the more we roast, steak, or can. Just our preference.

ttltown

WKR
1 grind
2 grind
3 grind
4 grind
I grill the back straps

Personal preference…I’m from Minnesota and like hot dishes, chili, meatloaf and so forth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty much steak and grill all of those...

Not sure where I got this, but helpful although I've never heard the term "mock tender" before...

cd526e722dd66eec5dfb355a31e057a3.jpg
Since I can never remember the names of the various cuts, this is a great reference! Thanks for posting.

To the OP, look up a technique called, The Flip Flop on Youtube. Invite a bunch of friends over and have a blast.

I pull the 3 big muscles out of the hindquarters and keep them whole and grind the trimmings. Then I decide if I want to keep as a roast, slice in half, tenderize and hot seat on the grill or make fajita meat, cube some up for a hearty stew or in rare occasion slice thin, tenderize and chicken fry.

I NEVER chicken fry prime cuts like backstrap or tenderloin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I grill the eye of round, tenderloins and blackstrap for sure.

sirloin is either steaks or roast. If steaks, slice it and pound it thin. The round is usually in the smoker but sometimes roasts.

the meat eater and Hank Shaw have some great roast recipes for wild game.