Using a dirt bike.

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at ditch 4 wheels for two for hunting this year. I’m torn between a TW200 and a ttr-230. Doesn’t need to be fast but I’d like it to be able to drag me and my gear around maybe if I get lucky some meat (REAL LUCKY). I’m willing to do upgrades to a bike to help it out. Any insight?

BBob

WKR
There’s been more threads about this than you can shake a stick at. A few searches might find you a bunch of info.

Here’s one:

You can change gearing but make sure suspension is stiff enough for a load on your back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your height and weight and do you have any experience riding dirt bikes on single track trails? TTR-230 is very underpowered for backcountry hunting when hauling yourself plus 60 lbs of gear and then meat on the way out. I've been there and done that on a TTR. Not too mention if you're hunting at decent elevation, the carburetor can't keep up. I switched to a new WR250F and it was night and day easier to ride and get around especially on single track trails.

idahodave

WKR
I was looking pretty hard at a tw200, but your post got me thinking about the CRF250F. Being 6'3, I was worried about the tw being too low for me.

More important than being "too low" is the fact that TWs are piggy with a chitty suspension by comparison. Neither of those things are conducive to trail riding.

The seat height on the CRF250F/TTR230/KLX230 are all pretty low in their own right, which helps new riders keep from crashing quite as frequently (and violently). They all have better suspensions and weigh less with better clearance. The only thing they "lack" as compared to the TW is being street legal.

That's like buying a Honda Civic to elk hunt with because it get's better has mileage than an F-150 though.

Dave

The Beta X-trainer is better yet for hunting,...but that's a big jump in price and more bike than most new riders are comfortable with.

idahodave

WKR
What's your height and weight and do you have any experience riding dirt bikes on single track trails? TTR-230 is very underpowered for backcountry hunting when hauling yourself plus 60 lbs of gear and then meat on the way out. I've been there and done that on a TTR. Not too mention if you're hunting at decent elevation, the carburetor can't keep up. I switched to a new WR250F and it was night and day easier to ride and get around especially on single track trails.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm 240 and was riding out 90 pounds of elk quarters just fine last fall. A $15 front sprocket swap gives you all the "power" you need for hunting.

My work bikes are KTM 300 EXCs and Beta X-trainers and while I strongly prefer both for riding trails, a CRF250f does just fine packing quarters out of the high country.

The CRF250F is fuel injected so altitude doesn't affect anything btw.

OP
EricBender208

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
I’m by no means a Single track superstar, but I’ve been on and off dirt bikes for most of my life. I’m 5’11” 210-220

OP
EricBender208

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm 240 and was riding out 90 pounds of elk quarters just fine last fall. A $15 front sprocket swap gives you all the "power" you need for hunting.

My work bikes are KTM 300 EXCs and Beta X-trainers and while I strongly prefer both for riding trails, a CRF250f does just fine packing quarters out of the high country.

I’ve had mainly Yamahas most of my life (I did have a death trap RMZ-450) but I’m definitely open to other suggestions.

idahodave

WKR
I’ve had mainly Yamahas most of my life (I did have a death trap RMZ-450) but I’m definitely open to other suggestions.
If you’ve ridden a bit, then a Beta X-trainer is simply awesome for a backcountry hunting bike. Do a little research, and I think you’ll come away impressed.

dave

Reactions: TVW

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
No choice ttr is the only choice. Packed double digit bulls out with it. Much better power and traction with narrow tires. Easier to navigate. Practice and get proficient with riding with weight.

Reactions: TVW

I wasn't really arguing with you, just stating my experience. Your CRF250F or X trainer would be night and day better than the TTR. Like you said they're fuel injected and it has more power than the TTR, suspension is probably much better as well. I've packed animals out on the TTR and the suspension on the full size 250F's makes it so much easier to handle a bunch of weight on a single track, especially going downhill.

robtattoo

WKR
While I love my TW (and I really, really do) I've probably spent as much on it, making it more suitable for hunting, than I did buying it. It's perfect for my needs now but i had to upgrade or change *deep breath......front tire, fork springs & oil, fork extensions, front fender lift, screen, bar risers, bars, larger tank, modified seat, rear rack, LED lights, LiFePo battery, rear suspension, swinging arm extension, rear fended delete, rear wheel & tire, large rear sprocket, longer chain, & that's not counting having to fabricate all the stuff you can't buy, so I could carry all the hunting stuff I need! I'm 6 foot & now 210 (275 when I got it) & it's awesome, but it was a lot of work & expense. As with all customs, I've sunk 5 grand into a 3 grand bike, to turn it into a 3 grand bike 😄

If I had all that cash back & no bike, I'd be all over a CRF250 in a heartbeat. Much more capable straight from the showroom floor.

idahodave

WKR
I think we mostly agree Mike. I just don't want newer riders thinking they HAVE to step up to a larger bike to be able to see the rewards of a bike while hunting.

I agree the larger bikes allow more technical riding while hunting...IF a person is experienced enough to take advantage of the increased power, suspension, clearance, etc.

If not, then it's usually just further to fall when they inevitably wreck.

For 90 percent of the hunting population, a Honda CRF250F is the best thing going by a mile.

A link to the bike in question...

CRF250F HERE

I would strongly suggest an after-market headlight kit, but I've been known to make a flashlight taped to the front fender work in a pinch.

dixon4420

FNG
I’m thinking of also buying a dirt bike for packing meat out. Sucked this past year when all I had was atv and I could have gotten a bike straight to the elk. What would be the smallest size cc that would get the job done one quarter at a time ? Any of you ever dumped it while riding quarters out ? Trying to determine if I would be able to stay stable enough on the way up the side of a mountain

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
While I love my TW (and I really, really do) I've probably spent as much on it, making it more suitable for hunting, than I did buying it. It's perfect for my needs now but i had to upgrade or change *deep breath......front tire, fork springs & oil, fork extensions, front fender lift, screen, bar risers, bars, larger tank, modified seat, rear rack, LED lights, LiFePo battery, rear suspension, swinging arm extension, rear fended delete, rear wheel & tire, large rear sprocket, longer chain, & that's not counting having to fabricate all the stuff you can't buy, so I could carry all the hunting stuff I need! I'm 6 foot & now 210 (275 when I got it) & it's awesome, but it was a lot of work & expense. As with all customs, I've sunk 5 grand into a 3 grand bike, to turn it into a 3 grand bike

If I had all that cash back & no bike, I'd be all over a CRF250 in a heartbeat. Much more capable straight from the showroom floor.
If you want to sell it.... (dammit, just bought a $3k TW....)

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

BeatEater

FNG
I currently have a KLX300. It has a hard time climbing hills in the summer for scouting with a heavy pack and overheats often. I wouldn't recommend it.