Dirt bike general question

Dunndm

WKR
I recently moved away from the ocean were I spent a lot of my time surfing, body surfing, etc. I moved close to a lake and have a smaller boat to fish with and do basic water sports but I know it’ll only keep me interested for so long. That being said, I am looking into dirt bikes to play around on. I have minimal experience with dirt bikes and road a scooter (laugh all you want) and an electric clutch motorcycle for a long time. I am curious if there is any dirt bikes similar that what I’ve ridden to at least get started on. I know no one where I moved to that can help teach me to ride a clutch and with having minimal experience on dirt/trails itself (except mountain biking). So I’m trying to get my foot in the door with what I do know. I’m just looking to trail ride around my local hills in NV, not doing any crazy moto cross. Not a huge adrenaline junky so as long as I can puts around and it gets me to and from my truck is all I truly care about.

Electric dirt bikes I’ve seen, they aren’t legal for hunting in all or most states. E bikes that are assisted are but not fully electric dirt bikes. So I might as well get something with a motor and use my E bike for hunting if I want to.

I’m also 6’6-6’7, 245 cause I know that does make a difference. Thanks for the help in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Get you a Yamaha YZ250 2 stroke and install a Rekluse X clutch. Yamaha 2 stroke 250's have not changed much of anything since 2006, are cheap to rebuild , and should not be difficult to find a decent used one. YZ250F 4 strokes are great bikes but are very expensive to rebuild. If you dont know the history, I would avoid those. Research what a Rekluse clutch will offer. You can operate it as if the clutch was automatic. Best thing i ever did to my MX bike.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Get you a Yamaha YZ250 2 stroke and install a Rekluse X clutch. Yamaha 2 stroke 250's have not changed much of anything since 2006, are cheap to rebuild , and should not be difficult to find a decent used one. YZ250F 4 strokes are great bikes but are very expensive to rebuild. If you dont know the history, I would avoid those. Research what a Rekluse clutch will offer. You can operate it as if the clutch was automatic. Best thing i ever did to my MX bike.

I’ll do some research on that, like I said totally new to dirt bikes so I’m going into this knowing next to nothing

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Look into the Trailmaster MB-200. They have the regular model and Hurricane (Which has front disc brake and a couple of other enhancements). I own a regular TM MB200. They are cheap. (Less than $1500 to your door). Keep in mind, they are cheap Chinese made! But they will get you around. They have a cult following and many owners are upgrading the heck out of them. (Look for a Trailmaster FB Group)

I am not your size, but many riders are. I have changed the sprockets on mine (To improve low end torque) and modified the electrical system for better forward/headlight system. I run the factory engine. A big difference is they have front and rear suspension. (vs a Coleman which does not) No clutch or shifting gears. (Uses a torque convertor)

I use mine primarily for hunting. I use it on crappy roads (where I don't want to tear up my truck) and trail systems which allow motorcycles.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I also solo backpack hunt in areas. I also own an e-bike. (Which I will be selling it as I find I don't use it as envisioned.) The mini bike is more "utilitarian" for some of the places I hunt (Which allow motorized access).

Here is a dead head with my pack and bow.

Attachments

• Wyoming dead head elk.jpg
    Wyoming dead head elk.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 126
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Look into the Trailmaster MB-200. They have the regular model and Hurricane (Which has front disc brake and a couple of other enhancements). I own a regular TM MB200. They are cheap. (Less than $1500 to your door). Keep in mind, they are cheap Chinese made! But they will get you around. They have a cult following and many owners are upgrading the heck out of them. (Look for a Trailmaster FB Group)

I am not your size, but many riders are. I have changed the sprockets on mine (To improve low end torque) and modified the electrical system for better forward/headlight system. I run the factory engine. A big difference is they have front and rear suspension. (vs a Coleman which does not) No clutch or shifting gears. (Uses a torque convertor)

I use mine primarily for hunting. I use it on crappy roads (where I don't want to tear up my truck) and trail systems which allow motorcycles.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I also solo backpack hunt in areas. I also own an e-bike. (Which I will be selling it as I find I don't use it as envisioned.) The mini bike is more "utilitarian" for some of the places I hunt (Which allow motorized access).

Here is a dead head with my pack and bow.

That’s actually a pretty neat little bike. It would be great for hunting and getting back up into the mountains I do like the torque system. The only problem with that is I can’t really hill climb/off road like what I’m imagining. My brother is looking for something exactly like this though that I’ll send his way.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
OP, can you drive a manual transmission car or truck? To me it's a pretty direct corollary.

Technically speaking yes, am I good at it? Not at all. I can drive it but I stall out on anything beside a flat road

I recently moved away from the ocean were I spent a lot of my time surfing, body surfing, etc. I moved close to a lake and have a smaller boat to fish with and do basic water sports but I know it’ll only keep me interested for so long. That being said, I am looking into dirt bikes to play around on. I have minimal experience with dirt bikes and road a scooter (laugh all you want) and an electric clutch motorcycle for a long time. I am curious if there is any dirt bikes similar that what I’ve ridden to at least get started on. I know no one where I moved to that can help teach me to ride a clutch and with having minimal experience on dirt/trails itself (except mountain biking). So I’m trying to get my foot in the door with what I do know. I’m just looking to trail ride around my local hills in NV, not doing any crazy moto cross. Not a huge adrenaline junky so as long as I can puts around and it gets me to and from my truck is all I truly care about.

Electric dirt bikes I’ve seen, they aren’t legal for hunting in all or most states. E bikes that are assisted are but not fully electric dirt bikes. So I might as well get something with a motor and use my E bike for hunting if I want to.

I’m also 6’6-6’7, 245 cause I know that does make a difference. Thanks for the help in advance.

An electric dirt bike would be legal to go anywhere a gasser would be, I don’t know where you got the idea they are illegal to hunt with? Other than that I have no input as I am not a dirt bike guy

Rocky723

FNG
I have owned dirtbikes for several years and have been surrounded by them since I could walk however I took a big break and just got back into it recently and so I did tons of research on how bikes have changed and what I want in a bike. 3 brands I would recommend. Yamaha like the guy above said hasn't changed almost at all and is super easy to work on a 250 will get you anywhere and still have plenty of power to twist the throttle sometimes and give you an adrenaline rush. Honda is always amazing and has unbeatable reliability, they offer a decent range of different bikes for different uses. If you're looking for a decent trail bike to put around the Honda crf 250L would probably be pretty good for you. Lastly and some people may disagree but I'm biased to them so I have to through them out is KTM. They are the most expensive option but have some of the best performance and are usually more specifically tailored to different styles of riding. Saying this however they have many more options for sizes of bikes and styles. They have a 200cc bike, 250cc bike, 300cc bike all they way up to 525cc. You can pick between 2 stroke and 4 stroke depedning on your preference. This may be a lot of information for a newer rider if you want me to break it down more send me a dm I can help point you in the correct direciton of what to look for

At 245lbs, he’s going to get real bored real fast on a 250f. I second the Yz250 with a auto clutch. As a beginner rider I’d properly look for a 450x or a similar size dual sport

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I have owned dirtbikes for several years and have been surrounded by them since I could walk however I took a big break and just got back into it recently and so I did tons of research on how bikes have changed and what I want in a bike. 3 brands I would recommend. Yamaha like the guy above said hasn't changed almost at all and is super easy to work on a 250 will get you anywhere and still have plenty of power to twist the throttle sometimes and give you an adrenaline rush. Honda is always amazing and has unbeatable reliability, they offer a decent range of different bikes for different uses. If you're looking for a decent trail bike to put around the Honda crf 250L would probably be pretty good for you. Lastly and some people may disagree but I'm biased to them so I have to through them out is KTM. They are the most expensive option but have some of the best performance and are usually more specifically tailored to different styles of riding. Saying this however they have many more options for sizes of bikes and styles. They have a 200cc bike, 250cc bike, 300cc bike all they way up to 525cc. You can pick between 2 stroke and 4 stroke depedning on your preference. This may be a lot of information for a newer rider if you want me to break it down more send me a dm I can help point you in the correct direciton of what to look for

I’m trying to not use the clutch because I have no one to help me at all, I moved to NV and idk anyone out here and I’ve tried a couple dirt biking forums and they aren’t really helpful or don’t care to teach me. Which I somewhat understand. The clutch less addon you can get for the bikes is something I’m strongly considering because it teaches me to shift without the clutch which is a step in the right direction. I guess the knowledge I need to know next is what bike is a 250 that would fit me?

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
At 245lbs, he’s going to get real bored real fast on a 250f. I second the Yz250 with a auto clutch. As a beginner rider I’d properly look for a 450x or a similar size dual sport

You don’t think starting on a 450 would be to much?

TheTone

WKR
If it wasn’t for your height and weight I’d be looking at a Yamaha ttr 250, or Honda crf230f. Because of your size I’d probably consider a Honda crf250x, Yamaha wr 250 or ktm/husky 250 4 stroke. If you find they aren’t enough you should be able to resell fast, the used market around me is crazy

I really think a 450 4 stroke or 250 2 stroke would be a lot of bike to be learning on

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
If it wasn’t for your height and weight I’d be looking at a Yamaha ttr 250, or Honda crf230f. Because of your size I’d probably consider a Honda crf250x, Yamaha wr 250 or ktm/husky 250 4 stroke. If you find they aren’t enough you should be able to resell fast, the used market around me is crazy

I really think a 450 4 stroke or 250 2 stroke would be a lot of bike to be learning on

What do you think of the KX250F? There’s one for sale 10min from me, Rekluse clutch in there already and it’s made street metal for 3k

TheTone

WKR
What do you think of the KX250F? There’s one for sale 10min from me, Rekluse clutch in there already and it’s made street metal for 3k

For me it would be very dependent on the age. If it’s an older steel frame one they had some reliability issues and overheating. I wouldn’t be too scared of one newer than 2008(?) when they went to the aluminum frame as long it didn’t look hammered and abused

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
For me it would be very dependent on the age. If it’s an older steel frame one they had some reliability issues and overheating. I wouldn’t be too scared of one newer than 2008(?) when they went to the aluminum frame as long it didn’t look hammered and abused

It’s a 2009, and from the pictures it looks very nice.
2009 KX250F in great condition. Full titanium FMF exhaust, Hot cams stage 1 cams, Rekluse core EXP clutch, Factory Connection suspension, Pro pegs titanium foot pegs, acerbis 3 gallon desert tank, gpr steering stabilizer, TM Designworks chain guide, chain slide and case saver, Tusk wheel set, acerbis skid plate and more. Also have the stock tank and other stock parts along with extra spare parts and graphics.

This is the add. Idk what really any of that means beside the gas tank is 3 gallons

ODB

WKR

Heard a lot about the Rekluse clutches. They are just down the road from me.

I got back into riding about 10 years ago after a 25 year layoff. Do a mix of commuting, trails, moto-camping/adventure riding.

Firstly, take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MFS) course in your area. Some offer dirt bike courses as well. This will get you the basics of motorcycle operations, i.e. clutch control, counter steering, trail braking, etc.

The 2009 KX250f is a solid bike. The 3 gallon tank will get you a little extra range. The other bits are all decent farkles and upgrades.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I would look into a ktm/husaberg/husqvarna Trail bike, like a 300xc 2 stroke or 350/450 4 stroke. They are amazing Trail bikes without the learning curve of an extra long first gear like most race track inspired bikes have.

Clutch on a dirt bike is a quick learning curve.
from a dead stop pull in clutch, shift into first gear, slowly twist throttle and gently release clutch.
once you get it moving in gear it’s let off throttle, pull in clutch lever, shift and slowly release clutch while slowly twisting throttle.
it will be a little bumpy and you will stall out a few times, but in a few tries you will get it.
If you buy a used dirt bike, buy one that is completely stock, no after market upgrades. Learn on a stock bike without items you don’t need. A 250cc four stroke has enough snort to do anything you ask of it.

Last edited: