Using a MR Guide Lite frame pack for normal, non-hunting backpacking

I currently own a Mystery Ranch Sphinx pack that I really like for general backpacking. The frame is solid enough for backpacking loads and is flexible, and the pack is very comfortable because of that flexibility in the frame. I was able to try on a Mystery Ranch Metcalf in a store and was impressed by the fit and the comfort, but (not surprisingly) it is a very stiff frame. I have been considering selling the Sphinx pack to fund my Metcalf or Selway purchase and then just using the new hunting pack for normal backpacking as well as hunting.

My other option, since I have a hookup for a very good price on a Guide Lite frame without the bag, is to keep the Sphinx pack for backpacking and use the GL frame with an diy meat shelf (or buy a used bag off the classifieds here).

Do many of you use your meat hauling pack for non-hunting backpacking duties? Are there any real disadvantages?

I think it is fairly common among members to only have one pack...maybe a couple...but they are all hunting packs and get used for all purposes.

I can’t afford...well not willing to pay for...two nice packs.

I currently own a Mystery Ranch Sphinx pack that I really like for general backpacking. The frame is solid enough for backpacking loads and is flexible, and the pack is very comfortable because of that flexibility in the frame. I was able to try on a Mystery Ranch Metcalf in a store and was impressed by the fit and the comfort, but (not surprisingly) it is a very stiff frame. I have been considering selling the Sphinx pack to fund my Metcalf or Selway purchase and then just using the new hunting pack for normal backpacking as well as hunting.

My other option, since I have a hookup for a very good price on a Guide Lite frame without the bag, is to keep the Sphinx pack for backpacking and use the GL frame with an diy meat shelf (or buy a used bag off the classifieds here).

Do many of you use your meat hauling pack for non-hunting backpacking duties? Are there any real disadvantages?

I am using my MR Glacier for everything. It’s roughly the same size as the Metcalf. After talking to MR last year they said it’s rated for 90lbs Most competitors backpacking packs are rated for 50 or less pounds. I tucked up to 5 miles in training with 75 and am confident that the 90lb rating is light assuming you don’t have more than. 21” torso. I have a 21” torso and have almost no lift from the load lifters. My son is 6’5 with a 23” torso and over 50lbs the glacier caused pins and needles down his arms because the lifters are below the top of his shoulders. I added a Kifaru Grab it on my pack to do the load shelf in reverse and it makes it much easier and more protected to strap my bow in and out when it’s dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently selling my Guidelight Frame in Foliage with Small Yoke and Belt.
I have a Medium Yoke and Belt if interested I can switch.

I've only use it for Fall and Winter Hikes

OP
W
I am using my MR Glacier for everything. It’s roughly the same size as the Metcalf. After talking to MR last year they said it’s rated for 90lbs Most competitors backpacking packs are rated for 50 or less pounds. I tucked up to 5 miles in training with 75 and am confident that the 90lb rating is light assuming you don’t have more than. 21” torso. I have a 21” torso and have almost no lift from the load lifters. My son is 6’5 with a 23” torso and over 50lbs the glacier caused pins and needles down his arms because the lifters are below the top of his shoulders. I added a Kifaru Grab it on my pack to do the load shelf in reverse and it makes it much easier and more protected to strap my bow in and out when it’s dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Glacier looks like a cool pack. The T100 pack was on sale recently on Sierra Trading Post for less than $200, and I almost bought it for a hunting pack! I asked Mystery Ranch if they thought that was a good idea and they wholeheartedly endorsed it.

Just got back from a weekend 2 night fishing/scouting trip this afternoon. I don’t see a reason to use something like an osprey when I have a perfectly fine stone glacier. They haul a load better, and if nothing else you’re working out with your game day pack. In my opinion I’m on a hike every time I go hunting anyway.

I agree with wesGiddingshunt.
Having been backpacking for quite a while I have gone through a few quality packs. I now use my Stone Glacier for family hikes and hunting. The pros and cons tends to lean toward the hunting packs. They are just well built. Us hunters are a bit more rough on our gear. Nothing like spending three, four, or even five hundred dollars on a pack that you destroyed because it’s designed to be used on maintained trails.

GPool1842

WKR
No doubt.. I have used my guide light with the Marshall bag for many backpacking trips with the wife.

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I only have one pack for hunting, just cant justify another at this time. I have been running Stone Glacier Solo for about 5 years now and love it.

Only downside IMO is hunting packs tend to be overbuilt for the task. I used a Metcalf in yellow stone and the Grand Canyon I. The past two years. It is great. I do envy my hiking partners and their 2-3# packs enough that I bought myself a goasimar gear pack.

Roll with what you have. It will work fine.

oldhorse

WKR
I use my Kifaru packs for everything. I looked long and hard at the Osprey Aether AG packs for off-season backpacking. They are really nice packs, would save me a couple of pounds. The belt is the deal breaker for me. I really like how the Kifaru belt fits me and the versatility that the molle webbing provides. I can run several different ways, depending on the situation. If MR packs work for you, use them for everything

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I use my Mystery Ranch metcalf for everything. Yeah, it's overkill for summer backpacking, but it works... I'm not thru hiking or anything so I don't see the need to go ultralight if I'm just doing weekend backpacking trips.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk