Using the same water source as the deer?

FreeRange

WKR
In scouting for my upcoming Nevada archery deer hunt I've realized the biggest key to my ability to spike out and stay above the deer for days is going to be finding a water source up high. It's going to be a 2500'+ push to get to the ridge I want to work along with most of the water sources being over 1200' below the ridge. I've located one spring that's actually unmarked but looks to be reliable via google earth and is covered in game trails right up near the top and it would make everything much easier logistically to use it for my own water.

I'm wondering if it would be a mistake to use that spring for my own water use? Ideally I'd only have to hit it up every couple days filling bladders with water spending an hour or two at the spring and then cacheing them up on the ridge about 1/2 a mile away, but I'm wondering if my presence at the spring will be enough to make the deer stop using it?

Anyone have experience with this, think its a bad idea or any tips on how to minimize my impact?

I'm figuring mid day would be the best time to not risk spooking any deer and I will be able to see at least 1/2 a mile in any direction to avoid having any deer come in unexpectedly while I'm on the spring.

Mike7

WKR
I would personally bring a couple of 10 L Dromedaries to fill up at the spring, and then you are good to go for a week. It will be about 45 lbs of water weight, but no pain, no gain. I wouldn't drop all of my crap next to the spring and hang out for an hour or two though.

I have personally walked right through a high mountain spring, gathered a little water quickly, and then sat in a blind near that same spring and had deer and elk come in a few hours later to the spring in the evening. They always come in cautiously, but everything, predators and prey alike, are all using that same spring.

codym

WKR
We have watered our horses at waterholes during the day and sat blinds at them in the morning and evening and had plenty of animals come in. I would spend as little time as I could gathering water there, but don't think it will matter much to the animals especially if it's the only water for a long way.