Utah Licensing predicament

Here is a WV link: https://wvdnr.gov/frequently-asked-questions/regulations-and-licenses/

Here is what I found at the link above:

Q. I NOW RESIDE IN OHIO AND POSSESS A WEST VIRGINIA LIFETIME LICENSE AND WANT TO ANTLERLESS DEER HUNT. WHAT STAMP DO I BUY, AND CAN I HUNT IN COUNTIES THAT ARE ONLY OPEN TO RESIDENTS?

You buy a resident Class N stamp and you can hunt in counties open to residents or nonresidents; however, to hunt in one of the limited wildlife management areas, state forests or counties, you must have been selected and issued an eligibility card in addition to the Class N stamp.

Based on this, it appears to be very simular to my state; you continue to be able to hunt in WV purchasing resident tags... based on your lifetime license despite living and being a resident of another state; i.e., you are NOT claiming to be a WV resident, you are just utilizing your WV Lifetime License privileges. As such it sound perfectly legal, unless Utah has a specific law on the books address this specifically. Clearly this is not the same as claiming residing in 2 states for hunting purposes.

OP
maxx075

maxx075

FNG
And here's Utah's:

Resident means a person who has a fixed permanent home and principal establishment in Utah for six consecutive months immediately preceding the purchase of a license or permit, and does not claim residency for hunting, fishing or trapping in any other state or country.

So I guess it basically boils down to a grammatical issue of what do the states deem as "claim".

No, I do not "claim" residency in WV, but I am going to continue to utilize the benefits of my lifetime license (that I didn't buy myself). I also plan to hunt in Utah and would like to "claim" residency here as this is where I reside.

CorbLand

WKR
So I guess it basically boils down to a grammatical issue of what do the states deem as "claim".

No, I do not "claim" residency in WV, but I am going to continue to utilize the benefits of my lifetime license (that I didn't buy myself). I also plan to hunt in Utah and would like to "claim" residency here as this is where I reside.
I think I would make a phone call or go to the office and spell it all out. Seems like that would be easier than dealing with the consequences. I havent dealt with Utah as far as this goes but I have watched Idaho FG pound people for things like this.

Even if you are not trying to be nefarious, all it would take is one agency to see that your buying resident tags in both states. And yes, I know Idaho caught a guy doing it, so there is a way for them to see it.@Bubblehide is correct, in that you are not claiming WV but it comes down to clearing it up up front or doing it if/when you get caught. Depends on which one sounds easier to you.

Its more of a cover your own ass situation. Emailing them, explaining the situation might be the best bet, so you have it in writing.