UTV question

So I got the toy hauler and the new dog and now need to sell my 2 up ATV and buy a UTV. Need something that can haul a couple loaded packs and a dog so a RZR is out. Kicker is wife loves the RZR seats. I see UTVs with RZR seats. Question is can you guys give me a rundown of which machines I can swap RZR seats into?

Not sure if the Ranger will accept Razor seats, but the Ranger is a great hunting UTV. There are web sites you can check out that offer after market seats along with all kinds of after market accessories, or call Polaris. I have the 900XP and have been very happy with it.

Good Luck

I have a honda pioneer 500. Thing is a beast- though not super fast (gearing). 50 inch stance makes it legal on atv trails here in CO. carries 2 up no problem- I haven't done it yet-but you can put razor seats in it with minimal fab. Honda reliability

If it's more for hunting, I'd say Ranger is the way to go. If you want to trail ride more then something like a General would be a good way to go. The Generals are several thousand more than the Ranger though.

Most all will agree that the Razor seats are the best.
I went with Honda for the reliability and have not been disappointed.
If you go to the Honda SXS web site you can find where a Honda pioneer was retrofitted with razor seats.

I don't think I can afford a General at this point. Looking to buy used and pay cash so I need to stay under $8000. Mostly what I see are Rhinos, Prowlers, Rangers,Teryx and sometimes the Pioneer, which I like. The seats that pop up are genius. I would mostly use it for trails with the wife and dog and and for hunting but just to get down bad roads to hike in from.

The mileage thing is completely dependent on the previous owner. You wouldn't want one my neighbor has owned with 100 miles on it. He maintains them but is really hard on them. Break something every time they go out. Mine get driven around to hunting spots. Rarely get it over 30mph.

User dependent.

Driving my Ranger on the Forest Service and BLM two tracks makes me really appreciate the suspension system Polaris has. I used my Honda 500 atv my first year in WY, never again. With the solid axle, I felt every rock. Not sure if the Honda UTV has a solid axle or not, but suspension is something worth considering. Honda reliability and durability is awesome, but the solid rear axle is not the best for the roads / two tracks that I ride on in WY. I bet I see 10:1 Polaris or Can Am machines vs everything else combined when on the FS roads / two tracks.

How useful is it to have a 50" machine? Are 50" trails that common in some areas? I have not run across any yet.

78a38a67a010a0c69a187178fdcadb07.jpg

Polaris ranger 800xp. You can put rzr seats in them below is an example. I have had my ranger for 3 years now and it has performed amazing. Jump seat in the bed for summer with the kids then gun boot for fall. Winch to pull yourself out of the muck at times.

Rzr 1000 Seats in Ranger 800 - Build Update - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also in Utah the 50" standard is a big deal plenty of special crossing guards to keep the wider units off the trails

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well now I am having second thoughts on this whole thing. The idea of a 50" machine has me thinking I want one. The main use will be so the wife, dog and I can joy ride. Being able to access any trails sounds good. Also, when I do take it hunting it would be super nice to be able to just load it in the truck and not have to deal with a trailer. I have been looking but really the RZR, Pioneer and Wildcat appear to be my options for a used machine. The Can-Am just came out so its not an option used. Of these the RZR seams like the obvious choice. Now I am back to the small bed. I think if I go this route the dog would fit back there and I could get a roof rack for gear.

Any opinions on my options here?

I had a similar dilemma a couple years ago, pioneer vs rzr. After much consideration I chose the Honda Pioneer 500. For my needs, the Pioneer just fit better. To me, the rzr is the more sporty, sports car type machine and the Pioneer is more of a SUV. This is my first atv/utv/4wheeler type machine and I am a very cautious rider. I have no plans to go fast in this thing, I just need something to get me and my kids from point A to point B. I like the bench seat in the Pioneer better because I can fit me and my 2 daughters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There really is no bed on a Rzr. There is a small shelf.

You'd be better off with a 4 seater, then the dog and any gear could go in the back.

Back