Vacation blacktail hunt

So I had big plans for this years blacktail hunti have 10 days vacation to fill my tag with the rut in full swing finding deer won’t be difficult find a clear cut or reprod patch and put your glass to work so I drive up a old skidder road park walk out to the end find a stump sit down and get comfortable and start glassing the timberline and probably a 5 year old reprod patch I’d been there about 45 minutes and I spot a doe so with the rut going strong I’m thinking she might have a boyfriend around if someone haven’t found him yet next I see a yearling doe so there some deer around next thing I see is a little fur tree shaking back and forth and he’s getting after it so I know there’s a buck but I can’t see him due to the trees in front of him now the heart starts racing I run the action of my 6.5/06 gun is ready continue to watch him fight with this tree the doe starts to move down the ridge now he sees the doe moving he starts to move with her but still behind the cover of th trees so I’m trying to find a horns or a body part just something after what seems hours of sitting I spot one of his horns the doe continues down the ridge and he follows I hit him with the range finder 178 yards set my dial on my scope put the crosshairs on his neck and take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger and down he goes so day one of my10 day hunt is over
Here’s the list of gear i used in my hunt
Custom 6.5/06 with 26” Lilja barrel
Maven 11x45 binoculars
Maven range finder
Leupold VX5 HD
143 ELDX I don’t recommend this bullet it blew the shit out of everythingIMG_5398.jpegIMG_5399.jpeg

Last edited: