Feeling the Pressure: Two Tags to Fill

OP
FairWeatherFisher

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
How long is the doe tag for?
Closes tomorrow with the general season. My wife is of the mind that I should just let it expire. Given the late season, there’s bound to be a lot of bucks getting killed, so the deer population could use all the dawn producing does it can keep. I suppose she’s got a point in that.

OP
FairWeatherFisher

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
Save the doe tag and go kill a bear or mountain lion or both. Maybe throw in some coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do have a bear tag still. I’ve only seen one place with any bear sign, but that’s something. The hardest part might be finding the time to get out there once the holidays start up.

amassi

WKR
I do have a bear tag still. I’ve only seen one place with any bear sign, but that’s something. The hardest part might be finding the time to get out there once the holidays start up.

Go check that GUT pile in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the buck. Good on ya for keeping at it.

Regarding bears and gut piles. If the gut pile hasn't been moved from where the deer died I don't believe it qualifies as bait per the law. Best to research that or ask a trooper to confirm, I'm not an authority.

Last edited:

TripleJ

WKR
Congrats on a beautiful buck! I'm glad it finally all came together for you, and you punched your first tag! You put in a lot of work, and it paid off, that's awesome! Success can give you that extra motivation to keep grinding in the future, even when the hunting is hard. It can also be a great building block. You can learn from what worked, but just as importantly, you can learn from what didn't. With each season, successful or not, you should hopefully start to see some patterns develop and techniques that work for you.

OP
FairWeatherFisher

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on a beautiful buck! I'm glad it finally all came together for you, and you punched your first tag! You put in a lot of work, and it paid off, that's awesome! Success can give you that extra motivation to keep grinding in the future, even when the hunting is hard. It can also be a great building block. You can learn from what worked, but just as importantly, you can learn from what didn't. With each season, successful or not, you should hopefully start to see some patterns develop and techniques that work for you.
Thank you! Definitely was a hugely informative season this year.

Congrats! I was rooting for ya!

I would not have been able to take today off if I were you, not so much to fill the doe tag, but to see what would have happened had you not killed that buck, and the doe tag would have been my justification… I’m strange like that though, I would have to see how close I was to not killing a deer

Well, I’m seriously happy that all of the effort paid off, it generally does hunting. I imagine this was a huge year for you in terms of learning, which is more valuable than the buck, but thankfully you got both

I love rifle blacktail hunting… I’ve always been an archery hunter at heart, but I enjoy the process blacktail hunting with a rifle more than archery hunting them.. I love figuring out sign and glassing country, it’s just a really fun hunt

My biggest buck was an archery buck, and have always had success hunting them with a bow, but I prefer rifle hunting them, no idea why, but I do enjoy it more…. Now this state has made it pretty easy with a pretty crappy bow season vs rifle season with dates, but that’s a completely different discussion

Rogue Bay

WKR
UPDATE: It finally happened, tag filled at last!

I went out this morning to the same clearcut where I saw that disappearing deer the other night.

I was late leaving the house and only got the the parking spot 10 minutes before sunrise, drinking my coffee in the way there. As soon as I got there, nature called. Perfect timing 🙄. I grab my TP, and find a tree to lean against. I tell you, I need to do squats or wallsits or something, because afterwards my knees were aching and my legs were shaking (this will matter later).

I grab my pack, etc. and head down the road. As I’m nearing the last bend in the road before the clear cut, I look to my right and see a little deer maybe 12yds away. Can’t tell if it has antlers, but I don’t care as I have a doe tag, too. As soon as I raise my rifle, it bolted. I have a short half hearted chase, but the trees were dense, and it went straight down a steep incline. I looked for it for a moment, then moved on. As I’m about to round the corner, I decide I better pee now, so it’s on the back of the cut bank of the road, and not blowing into the cut.

As I’m halfway into the process, this buck rounds the corner. I think I startled his as much as he did me! I pinch it off, and go after him, squeezing off a shot as he was fleeing with my bits still hanging out. I missed, and worse, that was reckless. Luckily I knew the terrain a bit, and I was the only one parked at the only access road, so there wasn’t anyone else there…but still.

I fixed myself, and went around the corner, and he was slowly trotting towards the next corner, 97yds away (I checked it with my lrf afterwards). I got down into a kneeling position, lined up my crosshairs center mass above his legs and shot.

Yup, right after chiding myself for shooting at a moving target, I did it again. Foolish.

I see him do a kind of double step/limp kind of thing and go bolting off around the corner he was rounding, followed by a crashing sound. I started to run after him, but remembered the lessons learned from that spike the other day. “Thoroughly examine the spot where you shot him for any blood, hair, etc.”

I slowly crept up the that spot, all the while listening for any more crashing in the timber. No sounds. No blood. No hair. I’m thinking “great, I missed again and blew it…but at least he’s probably not wounded”. Nonetheless, I followed the path I saw him taking to see if maybe it just took a while for him to start bleeding. 23 yards up the road, in a pull off area to the left of the road, there he lay. Dead.

Holy hell, it happened!

I get him gutted, and call a few friends to see if anyone wants to help drag him out of there. No takers. Ok, gotta do it myself. I wrap him in a contractor bag, zip tie it on, grab him by the and start pulling. The cars about 1000yds away, and the first 200 or so are up hill. By time I got back to the car I could hardly stand. Definitely going to invest in a pack frame for next year. I don’t know how much he weighed, but when I got him home I hung him from my fish scale; the scale goes to 110lbs and he maxed it out.

Super excited and grateful to have harvested my first deer. No tag soup for me this year!
View attachment 625025View attachment 625026View attachment 625027
Way to stick with it and get it done! I’ve enjoyed following along on your journey and it was fun reading about the lessons learned and discoveries made. You were putting all the pieces together so it was just a matter of time. Congrats!

OP
FairWeatherFisher

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! Definitely deserve it after all that hard work. Thanks for posting so many updates too, it was fun to follow along with the highs and lows.
Thanks! I’m definitely glad that I created this thread. In addition to getting lots of great advice from the other forum members, it also acted as something of a hunting journal, giving me something I can look back on and reflect about what worked, what didn’t, etc.