Value of Old Intel

Looking for some opinions. Have some intel from a co-worker where he and his group camped and killed elk each year 2015-2019. I don't know yet how many were in the group and had licenses, etc., but at least killed 1 every year. I've looked everywhere I can see and there hasn't been significant fire or timber cuts in that area since then, so outside of the big growth in hunter numbers, I would think the area should still be productive 5 years later if it worked for them back then. I know the CO Harvest and Population stats aren't reliable, but for what it's worth the estimated population in the area hasn't really changed much either according to their stats.

What are the thoughts on usefulness of dated information?

Elk have been doing similar things and liking specific areas for thousands of years. I’m sure there are spots that have worked annually for generations. That being said, you need to scout it ahead of time. I’ve seen spots in CO that a natural pond dries up and the elk leave, or they start cattle grazing and it pushes about everything else out.

TaperPin

WKR
What 100 others said is exactly right.

There’s an area I haven‘t hunted in 30 years, and saw an Eastman film of the same area, with elk in the same places.

Weldor

WKR
Same here had old intel on archery area in CO. Loggers seeing elk everyday kind of thing. Went and scouted it 1 year later, turned out to be a good spot. So you never know until you go look.

Last edited:
I’d say that Intel is gold, and aside from a huge forest fire flattening the place, there is a really good chance your legs and back will be getting a workout. Elk in good areas use the same areas year after year regardless if last years bulls are dead.

t_carlson

WKR
Barring any significant environmental or regulation changes, its probably good info.

But don't think you'll just walk in and kill an elk. Even "good" spots will make you work for it.

bz_711

WKR
Why did they quit hunting it?
Do they know anybody that has had boots on the ground the last 5yrs?

Gapmaster

WKR
I killed elk 15 yrs apart bedded on the same tiny bench in a super high pressure area. Didn’t hunt the unit for 15 yrs. Drove over on a Hail Mary last day of the season. Slipped down above the bench, one cow call. 45 minutes later 6x6 was being butchered. I know they are there every year. Only thing that will change them is a catastrophic environmental change (fire) or people (hippies/yuppies)

cnelk

WKR
Deadfall and beetle kill would definitely be worse and elk have changed habits. If it applies to the area.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
IDK, I'll need to know exactly what he told you before I can make an assessment.

lol, kidding aside, I would say any real intel is good intel as compared to going in blind.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had similar about six years back. Turned out to be a bust due to OTC pressure so the answer is… It depends.

My group killed ~15 bulls, within a 300-500 yard circle, over the course of 15 years, on the same piece of highly pressured public ground in Colorado.

And that is why I don't store valuable points on cell phone applications....Don't think for a minute that it isn't being shared.

Jethro

WKR
Any intel should at least make the possible spots list. Doesn't have to be plan "A", but needs to be on the list. 50/50 they're there. I've hunted a spot that we chased all kinds of bulls around and then went back 2 years later and not a peep, track, or pile of poop. Didn't pan out, but we still checked it out.

Northwet

FNG
My group killed ~15 bulls, within a 300-500 yard circle, over the course of 15 years, on the same piece of highly pressured public ground in Colorado.

And that is why I don't store valuable points on cell phone applications....Don't think for a minute that it isn't being shared.
Even if someone did have access, if you didn't say "awesome spot for elk hunting where I kill a bull every year" or something similarly intriguing how would they know it's not just where you have dug a latrine? Why would someone key in on your particular points vs. the thousands of other users?

Anyway, I'd take the information under advisement and definitely check it out before the season if possible to make sure it seems to still be valid. Then I'd have a backup plan.

Maverick1

WKR
I hunted a spot once. Had a herd of about 30-40 elk come through; it was an OTC unit. Been through there several times since then, hardly any elk sign at all. Worth hunting again?

I go to certain spots that have held elk for the last 20 years, and probably will for the foreseeable future. Have shot many elk within 1/4 mile of each other, and year after year shot opportunities are presented. Worth hunting again yes, and no, you can not have the GPS coordinates.

Know of other spots which used to have elk on a consistent basis (for the first 10 years). Have not had much success even seeing elk in those same areas the last several years. No real changes to the area that I am aware of (environmental, hunting pressure, food sources, etc.)

It depends.

Ucsdryder

WKR

Funny how that works. I have a similar spot, dont hunt it much anymore. Raghorns galore. Now I seem to find other places to shoot the same raghorns. 🤦🏻‍♂️

ndbuck09

WKR

Agreed! How many people work at Onx and can access their database??

I keep 50 - 60 years of data on topographic maps. They allow me to see a bigger picture as I go through my annual process of elimonation of where to hunt. It allows me to narrow down my search from 1-2 million acres to 3-5000 acres. I just don't have time or strength any more to hunt all the places I have killed elk.

The Intel is definitely worth a looksee. Then you can make an educated decision instead of just taking a stab at it