Vanguard spotter

T28w

WKR
So Ive been a lurker for a while soaking up as much as I can here and this is my first post. I'm hoping to get out west this year to scout and maybe apply for tags next year. My question is I bought the vanguard endeavor that got really good reviews on here by the staff and I just got it today. I feel that I have to have the eyepiece in as far as it will go and then have my eye pretty much touching the eyepiece. Is this normal for a spotter? I feel that it has almost no eye relief. Anyone have this spotter and feel the Same? Thanks

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, that's pretty much how Spotters go no matter the brand. The eye piece is best utilized with it screwed all the way in, this offers you the largest field of view & the brightest view at the same time! If you unscrew it like you would your binos you will find your field of view can shrink dramatically like looking through a periscope & the light gathering is poor compared to it screwed in. This can apply with or without glasses.

Yes to the fact that your eye needs to be tight to the lens, you will have to adjust the closeness of your eye very carefully to eliminate the dark circle or ring that will show in the perimeter of the optic, it's a very fine line but in a short time you will get used to it!

p.s. keep the magnification at about 25X to 35X for best viewing, it's best for searching critters out that you may have spotted with your binos! The closer you get to full magnification the picture quality will suffer no matter the Spotter. Stay at least 10X to 15X less full magnification unless you have spotted a critter & you are trying to size it up, even then there's a fine line where your picture is too obscured to view near full power so you need to back off on the magnification until you are satisfied with your view. No matter what keep that eye piece screwed in!

ElkNut/Paul

I agree. I had a Minox 50mm that had very long eye relief. Sold it and got the Vanguard HD65. I liked the clarity and overall features, but I wear glasses and the eye relief made it a challenge.

Sold that and went with the Leupold Gold ring HD 60mm which has the best eye relief of most mid range spotters I looked at.

I still prefer 15x tripod mounted binos for most glassing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

T28w

WKR
Thanks guys. I was able to play with it some more and see what you r saying. This is actually the first spotter I have really looked thru. Just will take a little getting used to. Kinda thought it was going to be similar to a rifle scope. Guess that's what I get for thinking. Lol.

Fatcamp

WKR
We really like ours. It took some getting used to, but is pretty handy for sure.