Vehicle insurance claim

IDVortex

WKR
Okay, first off, I'm 32, only have had 2 tickets about 10ish years ago, no wrecks and have my CDL.

Question is;

I have a 2017 F250, I jack knife into a old trailer of mine (first time ever doing that, and of course had to do it to my personal vehicle) and damaged the bed, bumper. It's been about 2 years and I'm done looking at it. I'm thinking of putting it through insurance and have it fixed. I know no one will really know, except for the underwriter whose going to write and approve me insurance and bla bla, but would my insurance increase, and if so would be obnoxious? Reason I'm thinking of making a claim is I can't find a good bed in my color near me, or if I do, they want stupid money for it.

Mine seems to keep increasing by not small amounts even without claims. I'd get an estimate and see what it'll cost, if it saves you thousands it's probably worth it. I'm sure it'll go up but couldn't render a guess as to how much.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Mine seems to keep increasing by not small amounts even without claims. I'd get an estimate and see what it'll cost, if it saves you thousands it's probably worth it. I'm sure it'll go up but couldn't render a guess as to how much.
My deductible is 500, that's why I'm tempted of looking into it, I did get quotes after it happened from body shops and it was on average about $3500....

My boat policy paid out for a lower unit, roughly $7k. It went up by about $240 per 6 month term. I don't know if the ding is per dollar amount or per claim or if boat is even remotely related to auto policies but FWIW.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
It's been a few years, but I had this same discussion with my insurance agent and at the time he said anything under $1500 take care of it yourself and save claims for more significant damage such as this. Your insurer can increase your rate or even drop you for any reason. I'd make the claim and take my chances that your rates won't go up that much; switch insurance companies if they do. If you have a commercial insurance policy, those are much more involved to switch insurance providers and I'd think hard about just fixing it out of pocket.

Two years migh be a stretch on making the claim. I'd check and adjust your recollection as necessary.

Unethical (?) Life Pro Tip:

Shop around for insurance. Download all your policies/coverages/prices and send them all to several insurance sales people. They'll know what they have to beat and usually WILL do it especially if you have multiple vehicles/homes/etc. They'll ask you if you've had any claims in the last XX years - the answer will be no.

Sign up for new insurance and enjoy your future savings, but don't cancel your old one right away. As soon as your new policies are in effect - BAM, hit the old insurance with a claim and then cancel them.

As an insurance adjuster, that is a question I get all the time are if my rates are going to go up if I file a claim. Typically what I have seen in the past 25-years is no your rates won't increase if you don't use your policy as a maitainence plan and file a claim every year or so. From the sounds of it, you would likley be fine. Now with that said, the entire market is changing and insurance companies are starting to be bigger jerks than ever. So they may increase you. IF they do, shop around at your next re-newal and see if there are any better deals.

As an insurance adjuster, that is a question I get all the time are if my rates are going to go up if I file a claim. Typically what I have seen in the past 25-years is no your rates won't increase if you don't use your policy as a maitainence plan and file a claim every year or so. From the sounds of it, you would likley be fine. Now with that said, the entire market is changing and insurance companies are starting to be bigger jerks than ever. So they may increase you. IF they do, shop around at your next re-newal and see if there are any better deals.

My kid(6 years old) door dinged somebody’s car, bad enough that it wasn’t something we could walk away from, problem is the guy tried to claim his body shop he took it too said it was going to be $2000, but he wouldn’t get us a claim in writing so we ran it through our insurance essentially to cause him some pain and suffering, because of this my wife lost her accident free discount and our insurance jumped $150/6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
Insurance company, nuff said. LOL. Look for a bed out of state, sometimes you can get them cheaper and transported. My brother had a bed for his dirtymax shipped to MI from Florida, was like $350 through a indepenent shipper.

"Paying out of pocket for repairs" is sort of "self insuring." If you are going to self insure, you should increase your deductible to the amount you're willing to self insure, which should decrease your rates. Miines currently $2000, the maximum allowable by my carrier. Just keep a bank savings account with enough cash to cover that expense. And, yea, no insurance fraud. It's not worth the risk of being uninsurable.

Pdog06

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re gonna do it I would Jack-knife it again so it looks very fresh then turn it in. Then you don’t need to tell them the original damage happened 2 years ago cause it no longer matters.