Vehicle Rentals - Alaska

My recent experience has been this: There are exactly no vehicles available to rent from the usual major companies located at the airports. That's "no vehicles"....as in zilch.

Commentary?

Rental car companies survived covid lockdowns by selling all their vehicles only to later realize they wouldn't have anything to "rent" if we all didn't die.

Maybe there's a word of mouth rental deal up there. Maybe Craigslist?

cnelk

WKR
We reserved a vehicle back in February when my buddy found out he drew a moose tag.

Fortunately, I have a relative that is in a management position at one of the major car rental places that assisted in the transaction

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Try an app called "Turo" or something similar. It's airbnb for cars.

My cousin used it for a trip to HI earlier this year and said it worked as advertised. I have no experience with the app.

Good luck,

Eddie

OP
Kevin Dill
Thanks Vern....I hope you pound the snot out of the lakers. I'll be flying into FB and needing a vehicle there. I've got it covered in a rather unconventional way.

I understand a lot of people are having problems with their car reservations. Pandem-onium.

Turo is a non-starter with average vehicles going at $160-$200 or more per day.

Trial153

WKR
Got a u- haul van last August in Fairbanks and drove it to TOK and back. It was way cheaper then the rentals quoted me and we had shit load for room of all our gear, meat and antlers. The young women at the u-haul place when above and beyond when we returned the van a couple days early when our flights were changed…she readjusted the bill and even waited 20 minutes past closing for us to get there so we could return the van and square everything away. When I got home I contacted the stores manager to express how helpful she was.

In any event the van was excellent for our needs.

OP
Kevin Dill
I booked a pickup truck from U-Haul when I learned about the scarcity of rentals.

KJH

WKR
I have a friend outside of Wasilla who was renting out their extra older suburban this summer. I think we was getting $1,000 a week plus some mileage adder or something like that. I don't remember the details since I was thoroughly enjoying some Kentucky beverages... He has it booked up with some buddies from the lower 48 this fall, but it made me think that there would be people there willing to part with a vehicle for a couple of weeks for the right price, and depending where you go. Maybe a add on Craigslist inquiring about a rental vehicle wanted would get you somewhere. Maybe not...

OP
Kevin Dill
In my/our case we arrive FB on 9-9 just after midnight. Will only need the vehicle on 9-9 from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm. Not worth the exorbitant prices I saw on some vehicles on Turo. I don't blame anyone for getting all the money they can from their vehicle on rental...I'd do the same.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin,
Again, thanks for the heads up. I reserved my car in December, then blocked the continual email ads from the rental car company. Checked on my reservation after reading this thread, my car rental had been canceled. I managed to reserve a rental van from U-haul for my for my incoming trip.

OP
Kevin Dill
Walt....glad you caught this before arriving. I'm currently in 'what's next?' mode as so many things are no longer status quo.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree. I did not get a rental even though it would have been covered by my insurance in July as there were none to be had.