Venting/hunting alone question

MtnOyster

WKR
Just did my first western solo elk hunt this past season, 1340 mile drive one way from KY and I cant wait to get back out there, my partner backed out about a month before time to go, I said the hell with it I'm going alone, my wife did backflips for 3 days around here bitching about it until she realized it wasn't doing any good and finally said, "ok go on I know your going to anyway".

I had the time of my life on my own out there and not worrying about what someone else wants to do lets you do anything you want without any questions, I will say you need to be a decent woodsman and know your abilities and limits if you have any, buy good equipment and be confident, if your scared of the dark or one of those that thinks about the boogie man then id say you better stay at home, I didn't get back to my camp until 11:00pm a couple nights but that's what it took to get in the elk and get out without spooking them, good luck with what ever you decide.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
My solo hunts come down to decision making. When I am alone, I typically make more conservative decisions regarding cliffy exposure, weather and distance. A fall could kill or trap you without the ability to reach your communication device. This season I bailed out after 24 hours because of a big storm during archery elk season. Could I have ridden it out? Probably. However, it could have gotten western really quick if there was an issue. Understand that rescue could be 8 - 12 hours out even if they know where you are.

My wife and family expect me to make smart decisions in the backcountry and I try to live up to that promise. Sometimes that means not getting into areas that look amazing because the route is sketchy or the weather forces a decision to leave. Just remember, you can always go back out and retreat does not mean failure.