Verdict on MR Pop-Ups?

I agree with Dos Perros. The pop up is a great pack, but it doesn’t replace a full size hauler. As I have said in other threads, if I wanted a full size frame with the comfort and cost, I would go with something else and a small pack bag, like a mule or crew cab. If I wanted something that was primarily a daypack but could haul a load now and then, the pop up is a strong option.

my 38 (and previous 28) spent 90%+ of their time in daypack mode. The only time I have used the hauling capability was for bags of corn, stands and packingout meat. They will handle 70-80# fairly well but not as well as a full time hauler. Congrats to Felix40 on his kill, but in my experience 110# is going to suck on any pack. the fact that a convertible frame handled such a heavy load is a testament to how good the design and execution really is.

so...if you want fairly compact daypack (load under 30#) that can handle a heavy load, on occasion, the pop ups are great. If you are going to be packing them with 40#+ loads regularly, I think there are better options.

Randle

WKR
I used mine this year and love it as a daypack. When it came to hauling meat I ended up with an external frame. Went in to pack a buddies elk out.
I added a kifaru belt shortly after I bought it and that was a game changer for sure and now it feels great with heavy weight.
I will continue to use it til packing an elk proves me wrong about not comfortable under load on a hunting trip.

brsnow

WKR
Does anyone else make an extendable frame? Seek Outside maybe? It seems super nice to have a tight little pack with the tops of the stays below your jawline, and on the off chance I kill something boop bop beep extend the frame and get into hauling mode.

If MR made these with weights equal to or just slightly more than their regular frame, get the belt that people like, then I think folks would think of the additional weight as a cost for having a compact frame most of the time. We trade weight for features all the time.
Seek outside does, you can add 2” sections up to 26”.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
Seek outside does, you can add 2” sections up to 26”.
I cut my Seek Outside frame to 22" using a pipe cutter and can easily add the 4" extensions to get 26" frame for hauling meat. I'm using a KUIU Ultra 4000 for a bag. Weight come in under 4 lbs. Could use a seek outside bag as well such as a Fortress 4800, Short-Tail, or Peregrine 3500.

brsnow

WKR
I cut my Seek Outside frame to 22" using a pipe cutter and can easily add the 4" extensions to get 26" frame for hauling meat. I'm using a KUIU Ultra 4000 for a bag. Weight come in under 4 lbs. Could use a seek outside bag as well such as a Fortress 4800, Short-Tail, or Peregrine 3500.
I run a Merlin on the frame for day trips, i agree super versatile, light weight, hauls more than I can.

Felix40

WKR
I used mine this year and love it as a daypack. When it came to hauling meat I ended up with an external frame. Went in to pack a buddies elk out.
I added a kifaru belt shortly after I bought it and that was a game changer for sure and now it feels great with heavy weight.
I will continue to use it til packing an elk proves me wrong about not comfortable under load on a hunting trip.
How did you switch out the belt? Did you have to cut off the little “wings” on the outside of the MR belt? Pics would be nice because I have started thinking about doing this as well

Randle

WKR
For now I left the wings on and no problems. I would recommend going to size smaller belt. I get sewed a velcro patch to the kifaru belt and slid it thru the lumbar pad. Really works great. Now I have used it and like it I will figure out what to do with the MR wings on the frame for s permenant mod.

Attachments

• 20200613_083405.jpg
    20200613_083405.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200614_200224.jpg
    20200614_200224.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 13

Randle

WKR
I added belt pockets as needed, once on ,there was no problem having the wings on for this season. I didn't want to cut the wings off and ruin the belt in case I decided to go with some thing else.

Attachments

• 20200613_082124.jpg
    20200613_082124.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: