Vintage (1949) Browning auto 5

Pro953

WKR
I know other sites focus on shotguns, but figure I would take a crack here as it’s the only forum I am on.

I received a vintage (based on the serial I believe it’s 1949) Belgian Auto 5. Stilly fuzzy on details but I do not think it’s any special model.

Has anyone ever shot or played with one of these? Trying to decide if I just sell it or if it’s worth keeping for a upland gun. I only hunt Turkey and upland 3-4 times a year so I just use a old 870 pump 3”. This is restricted to 2-3/4 shells.

Just curious what everyone’s gut impression is. Still worth shooting or am I just dealing with a finicky auto loader that will give me more headaches than shot opportunities.

I know it’s all personal, but lots of experienced shooters here, so figured I would ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
I have a 1924 Belgian Browning A-5. It’s a 2 1/4” 16 ga. I think it’s an interesting piece. I’ve hunted with it a bit. The recoil impulse feels crazy because the whole barrel moves.

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but to answer your question “yes” I have shot and played around with one of those.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
We have 3 in the family one standard and 2 light 12s that are around the same vintage. The 2 light models have been flawless and digest anything from light bulk ammo up to the heaviest 2 3/4 turkey loads. The standard model wouldn’t cycle light loads when I got it but after some research I switched around the recoil spring system and now it runs perfect with anything. They aren’t new and fancy but those guns just work, the recoil is worse than most semi autos and has a different feel but it doesn’t bother me. I no longer shoot them much because of the size and heft of them, for upland work I much prefer an over/under setup. For waterfowl trying to find 2 3/4 here is tough so they don’t see any duck blind time either. I actually killed my first turkey with mine when you could actually find 2 3/4 turkey loads here.

They are cool guns and shoot very well, but with old standard fixed chokes, and limitations on finding some 2 3/4 ammo they just aren’t practical for us much anymore. I will never sell mine but if I were interested in having a shotgun to really use it wouldn’t be my first pick.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Thanks. Kind of verifies my impression. Interesting, but not really practical. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk