Vortex Viper HD: Swing and a maybe a miss...

Thought this would have been a better launch.

A capped, BDC 2-10 @ 19 ounces...meh

A SFP antiquated, red dot center illum, 3-15...less meh

A FFP 5-25 with a good/decent reticle...maybe not meh at all...hopefully

Something tells me these will not be as awesome as they could have been.

I have to say this whole revamped lineup is underwhelming. I wish they'd take a stab at slimming the Razor G3 down some to make an AMG 2.0 scope. If they could somehow translate the optical quality of the G3 into a lighter package with a lower zoom range that'd be pretty awesome.

If they would have taken the 2-10 and added an exposed elevation turret they would have had a winner. The problem is the people who value mid range magnification are often those smart enough to avoid Vortex and they won’t have sold many.

Instead Vortex, as a marketing and customer service company that happens to sell optics, did what the focus group said and added more magnification to a line of glass that can’t support more than 10-15x. Just remember there are a bunch of poor souls rolling around with Gen 1 Viper 6-24x SFP scopes that think they have a good long range scope.

Can't believe they didn't consult the RS experts during the "drawing board" part of product development. Imagine how many they'd sell. FWIW, I've never owned a Vortex scope.

Back