VX-Freedom or other?

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have one and only one rifle/scope combo. It's a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in .308 and wears a Leupold VX-Freedom CDS 3-9x40. I'm purchasing a CVA Optima to extend my hunting season opportunities. I originally just planned on buying a so-so scope (like my VX-Freedom) for the muzzy and calling it good. However, I've been thinking more about upgrading the scope on my Tikka and swapping my existing VX-Freedom to the muzzleloader. I'm not willing to drop serious coin on an upgrade, but have been looking at some other options. I hunt the SE with this gun, and most shots are under 250 yards. Keep this in mind.

Scopes I'm considering:
Maven CRS.1 3-12x40
Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44
Athlon Argos HMR 2-12x42
Meopta Optika5 3-15x44
Burris Signature HD 3-15x44
Trijicon Huron 3-12x40
Sig Sauer Sierra3BDX 3.5-10x42 (I also need to pick up a new rangefinder. If I went this route I would add a Sig BDX Rangefinder to maximize the scope's potential. However, I realistically don't need all of this tech for shots under 250y)

So all of these are $200+ than just buying another VX-Freedom for the muzzy. Would you take any of these scopes over the VX-Freedom for the added cost? I've been very pleased with the clarity and light capturing of my VX-Freedom, but know that it's not a top of the line scope.

I'm most interested in quality of glass and light capturing at this price range. Not super invested on its return to zero/dialing capabilities because all of my shots are such close range.

rcleofly

FNG
IMO the vortex and the Maven you have listed are both a tiny step up from the Freedom but just a tad. I haven’t ever used any of the others. Honestly if you are happy with the freedom I’d go that route again, why change right? You’d more than likely will be happy with any of the options you have listed, especially shooting 250 yards and set up MPBR. Good luck. Wish I was more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
IMO the vortex and the Maven you have listed are both a tiny step up from the Freedom but just a tad. I haven’t ever used any of the others. Honestly if you are happy with the freedom I’d go that route again, why change right? You’d more than likely will be happy with any of the options you have listed, especially shooting 250 yards and set up MPBR. Good luck. Wish I was more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Vortex has been on my radar for a while now. Midway has them for $219 right now (with the V-plex reticle) which is cheaper than the Freedom, but I was really looking at the BDC reticle if I made the switch on my Tikka. Thanks for your insight!

Scratch the Chinese stuff off your list. It's not always possible to avoid made in China, but it's easy to buy scopes that don't bear the words Made In China. The Huron has HORRIBLE eye relief. The Optika 5 is a good scope. I have one with a red dot. Southern hunters can really benefit from illumination in those few critical moments of first and last legal shooting light. Has a ballistic plex type reticle https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...00163e90e196?variation=2779781&query=optika 5

This is one of the better deals in your price range for non-illuminated. Also from the good folks at Cameraland. Made in Philippines, Has a ballistic plex type reticle. https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...44aa35?variation=3156062&query=sightron s-tac

The Freedom 3-9x50 is also a great choice and in stock, as is the 4-12x50, and those are in your target price range. Not a ballistic plex type reticle though.

Are you eligible for any kind of first responder, LE, Military or veterans discount?

A word of caution about buying sight unseen. Some reticles can be very fine. So fine that they disappear in low light or against dark backgrounds. Some illuminated scopes, even on the lowest setting, cast so much light that it washes out the target.

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Scratch the Chinese stuff off your list. It's not always possible to avoid made in China, but it's easy to buy scopes that don't bear the words Made In China. The Huron has HORRIBLE eye relief. The Optika 5 is a good scope. I have one with a red dot. Southern hunters can really benefit from illumination in those few critical moments of first and last legal shooting light. Has a ballistic plex type reticle https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/riflescope/meopta-optika5-4-20x50-rd-sfp-z-plus-rd-1032583/2a45aa90-cdea-0138-9c62-00163e90e196?variation=2779781&query=optika 5

This is one of the better deals in your price range for non-illuminated. Also from the good folks at Cameraland. Made in Philippines, Has a ballistic plex type reticle. https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/riflescope/sightron-s-tac-4-20x50-moa-2-riflescope-26015-promaster-microclean-cleaning-cloth-5378/4718bed0-7b10-013a-1ef0-00163e44aa35?variation=3156062&query=sightron s-tac

The Freedom 3-9x50 is also a great choice and in stock, as is the 4-12x50, and those are in your target price range. Not a ballistic plex type reticle though.

Are you eligible for any kind of first responder, LE, Military or veterans discount?

A word of caution about buying sight unseen. Some reticles can be very fine. So fine that they disappear in low light or against dark backgrounds. Some illuminated scopes, even on the lowest setting, cast so much light that it washes out the target.
If I'm reading into the China thing correctly that would cross off the Vortex and the Athlon. Would you stay away from Chinese made because of quality or principal?

The Trijicon you nix due to eye relief, which is fair.

I like that the Maven is closest to the weight of my current VX-Freedom, but I do think I would like an illuminated reticle for those first light/last light situations. The Optika5 has an awesome zoom range, and gets good reviews, but it's a half pound heavier than my current setup and isn't illuminated. With the Burris I still add that half pound, but I do get an illuminated reticle out of it (for a couple hundred dollars more). The Sig interests me due to what it CAN do, but do I NEED it to do all that? Probably not.

I hadn't looked at the Sightrons before. The S-TAC 3-16x42 with MOA-3 reticle looks interesting, but is almost double the weight of my current Freedom.

I wouldn't qualify for any LE/military/etc discounts. Gonna pay full price (or full sale price) for whatever I go with.

SDHNTR

WKR
You could not give me a cheap Leupold or Vortex these days. You’re eventually asking for a let down. My hunting time is too important. Of the ones you listed, my vote would be the Meopta or Trijicon. Wouldn’t hate on the Burris either, in the price class. The eye relief issue on the Trijicon is not an issue with if you plan to use a rail. Or with a real short action (not a Tikka).

If I'm reading into the China thing correctly that would cross off the Vortex and the Athlon. Would you stay away from Chinese made because of quality or principal?

The Trijicon you nix due to eye relief, which is fair.

I like that the Maven is closest to the weight of my current VX-Freedom, but I do think I would like an illuminated reticle for those first light/last light situations. The Optika5 has an awesome zoom range, and gets good reviews, but it's a half pound heavier than my current setup and isn't illuminated. With the Burris I still add that half pound, but I do get an illuminated reticle out of it (for a couple hundred dollars more). The Sig interests me due to what it CAN do, but do I NEED it to do all that? Probably not.

I hadn't looked at the Sightrons before. The S-TAC 3-16x42 with MOA-3 reticle looks interesting, but is almost double the weight of my current Freedom.

I wouldn't qualify for any LE/military/etc discounts. Gonna pay full price (or full sale price) for whatever I go with.
I avoid China on quality and principle. They aren't good neighbors in any way. That Burris Signature is a Chinese scope. Like Burris, Vortex has their product made in many countries, so you have to do a little research to see which is which.

If weight is a concern, that will be a limiting factor with most illuminated scopes. That Tikka is light enough that you can put a heavier scope on it and not turn it into a porker.

The Freedom 3-9x50 and 4-12x50 are widely available right now. The glass will be like your current Freedom. The low light performance will be better. The weight will be good. No BDC reticle, but you don't need that at 250 yards or less.

I'd be a little concerned about Sig packing that kind of technology into that price point. It feel like a recipe for failure to me. I wouldn't turn my nose up at some of Sig's other offerings.

Pay attention to tube diameter. If you move the Freedom, and buy a 30MM scope, then new rings are part of the equation.

Very slightly above your price range, but I have two and love them. At 40mm, it may not take you all the way to 30 minutes after sunset in the deep woods on an overcast night, but they are no slouch when light is limited. 1 inch tube, great glass, made in Japan by a very highly respected optics manufacturer, under 18 ounces, BDC type reticle, great eye relief, easy to get behind and on the lowest light setting, it won't wash you out. https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...ecision-Hunter-1-in-Matte-Black-Riflesco.aspx

ChrisAU

WKR
I got a Meopta Meosport R 3-15x50 right when they came out last month from Sport Optics for $408 delivered. Has an illuminated dot #4 reticle. Also has locking turrets. For the price I really like it, made in the Czech Republic. I also got a Viper PST 2.5-10x44 from Midway for $330 plus tax, made in the Philippines. You can also get into a Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 at $508 shipped and it has fantastic glass, made in Japan.

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Now that Credo looks great. I like the look of the reticle (on my computer screen) and from the little research I just did it seems to be a well liked scope. Meopta also regularly gets love for all of their stuff. Is there a significant quality difference between the Optika5 and the Optika6? The Optika6 is closer in price to the Credo, but if the main difference is 6x zoom range, I don't really care about going 2.5-15 vs 3-15.

Likes been said, if you already like the freedom maybe getting one in a 50 would be the ticket without breaking the bank. I put a vx3i 4.5x14 50 on my latest rifle and really like it, nice in low light. I prefer to get inside 250yds as well so it’s a little more magnification than I really need, but it’s been handy for getting a little better look sometimes. I got it on sale awhile back since they discontinued it, should’ve bought two... It’d be worth looking to see if you can find one in stock somewhere, but I don’t think the freedom is a bad choice for what you’re after either.

TX_Diver

WKR
I have a freedom to put on a rimfire but haven't really played with it yet so I can't comment on it other than it has a gold ring and was nicely packaged.

I had a viper HS 2.5-10x44 for a few years on my 30-06 and liked it but am going to all mil/FFP scopes (beyond the 10/22). I actually just listed the viper in the classifieds today. Shoot me a PM if you end up leaning that way.

SWFA 3-9 gets a lot of love on here (and is what I have on my T3x), but they are hard to find!

Darryle

WKR
Why not extend your money and use the classifieds. Figure out your top 3 and put a WTB in the classifieds. List your preferred reticles and power ranges and be open to consider something that might be a golden ticket and fit your needs perfectly. You can step up a tier or two and get a great optic that still has warranty coverage while saving money.

Just avoid the hassle of the scammers and buy from a reputable member.

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Why not extend your money and use the classifieds. Figure out your top 3 and put a WTB in the classifieds. List your preferred reticles and power ranges and be open to consider something that might be a golden ticket and fit your needs perfectly. You can step up a tier or two and get a great optic that still has warranty coverage while saving money.

Just avoid the hassle of the scammers and buy from a reputable member.
That's not a bad idea. I don't mind used things as long as they were cared for. I'm new to this. The Tikka/Freedom was my first hunting rifle set up, and I don't know much about optics in general. What things would you be wary of when buying used optics? You can obviously get pictures that will show scratches on the glass and tube, but are there common issues with scopes that can be hidden when dealing across the web?

Darryle

WKR
If you stay with a quality brand with a good reputation and warranty, if there is an issue the only thing you may be out of is a little time waiting for the manufacturer to replace it or repair it.

Most members will be honest and not pass on a optic with known issues. Deal with a member who has positive feedback and stick to your established parameters and you can possibly save money and get exactly what you want or something similar but up a tier or two.

SDHNTR

WKR
That's not a bad idea. I don't mind used things as long as they were cared for. I'm new to this. The Tikka/Freedom was my first hunting rifle set up, and I don't know much about optics in general. What things would you be wary of when buying used optics? You can obviously get pictures that will show scratches on the glass and tube, but are there common issues with scopes that can be hidden when dealing across the web?
Strong chance of me putting up a Leupold VX3I 3-10 x40 with BDC reticle in the next few days. PM me if interested.

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up with the Meopta Optika6 2.5-15x44 with .308 RD reticle. Got it from Camera Land Doug (10/10 recommend them), and it just came in. Off quick inspection and taking it into the yard to look through it….. holy cow. Significant improvement over my Vx-Freedom for just a couple hundred bucks more. Very pleased.

norcan

FNG
Ended up with the Meopta Optika6 2.5-15x44 with .308 RD reticle. Got it from Camera Land Doug (10/10 recommend them), and it just came in. Off quick inspection and taking it into the yard to look through it….. holy cow. Significant improvement over my Vx-Freedom for just a couple hundred bucks more. Very pleased.
Nice choice.

Similarly, I have the Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x33 AO and the Meopta Optika5 2-10x42 PA, and I prefer the Meopta in every way except weight, which is still reasonable for what it is. (Also, that 33 mm Leupold is about as light as it gets for a half-decent scope.)

The Optika6 is essentially the same as the Optika5 stuff, but with a 30 mm tube and more options. It's a ton of scope for the money. Really happy with mine; how do you like the 2.5-15 so far?

Last edited:
OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Nice choice.

Similarly, I have the Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x33 AO and the Meopta Optika5 2-10x42 PA, and I prefer the Meopta in every way except weight, which is still reasonable for what it is. (Also, that 33 mm Leupold is about as light as it gets for a half-decent scope.)

The Optika6 is essentially the same as the Optika5 stuff, but with a 30 mm tube and more options. It's a ton of scope for the money. Really happy with mine; how do you like the 2.5-15 so far?
Super impressed with it, and I really like the illuminated center. I haven’t mounted it yet, still have to decide what I’m doing as far as rings go. Holding it in my hands leaning against my truck is pretty unsteady at 15x, but the clarity seems good.