WA Muzzleloader Rifle Advice

Kerbs

FNG
I have been hunting with a rifle and bow for a long time but would like to get into muzzleloader in WA. I hunt ID every year as well as CA (lifetime license in both.) I know ID and OR are more restrictive than WA requiring an open ignition. In the near term, I anticipate only hunting WA muzzleloader, but it's not out of the question I hunt ID muzzleloader down the road. Am I better off to buy a closed ignition rifle shooting 209's or something similar for WA and then if I decide to hunt ID get an ID gun? Or just get something that qualifies for both now. My main concern is weather out on the west side of WA and having an open ignition but I am fairly new to this and learning.

I have one of these... cheap and have killed a couple animals with it. Was planning on trying loose powder and led bullets to see if I can pass ID standards but haven't dug in yet. Put on a new peep site and plan on seeing what it'll do at the range. @idahohikker was digging in on Idaho smokepoles so he might have a suggestion worth sharing.

Idahohikker unfortunately sidelined that project for this year but is leaning, teetering, towards some Knight model. You’re left with the better hunter ^.

Don’t I wish! OP, check out the thread @idahohikker had on this subject a while back (December?)... some real sharpshooters had some solid feedback on the topic.

Chad E

WKR
I haven't looked at Idaho regs on ml recently so I'm going from memory but a knight can be pretty versatile ignition wise. I bought a disc extreme to hunt with here in Washington when they changed the ignition requirements allowing 209. It has a compatible western kit that is cap ignition open breech available so with that swap it allows the same rifle to be legal. Then you would just need to work on determining a bullet that fit the regs and shot well in your rifle.

OP
Kerbs

Kerbs

FNG
I haven't looked at Idaho regs on ml recently so I'm going from memory but a knight can be pretty versatile ignition wise. I bought a disc extreme to hunt with here in Washington when they changed the ignition requirements allowing 209. It has a compatible western kit that is cap ignition open breech available so with that swap it allows the same rifle to be legal. Then you would just need to work on determining a bullet that fit the regs and shot well in your rifle.

Thanks, that would make a lot fo sense and I'll look into them. I am primarily focused on a WA muzzleloader at this point. But having the option is always nice.

Thanks, that would make a lot fo sense and I'll look into them. I am primarily focused on a WA muzzleloader at this point. But having the option is always nice.

The available Knight riles all come with the ability to use different ignition systems. If you decide you migh go with a Knight let me know and I might be able to steer you to the options that might keep the exchange expenses down a little bit.

This a pic of the rifle I use in Idaho - I this pic it is set for Idaho ML season

9-7_Western_ULite.jpg

From here it is a matter of replace the the Western BP with a 209 BP and I much prefer the 'bare primer' breech plug.

During the Idaho regular rifle season it goes through another quick transformation.

Conv-Composite.jpg

Link to MidwayUSA - Knight rilfes

OP
Kerbs

Kerbs

FNG
I appreciate all the info. The knights route looks like it might be a really good way to go given the versatility. And it seems everyone that owns one raves about them.

I appreciate all the info. The knights route looks like it might be a really good way to go given the versatility. And it seems everyone that owns one raves about them.

You all are going to make me buy another smokepole!