Wading boots for AK float

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
@Theringworm I interpret your above post to mean you wore just your wading boot sans the waders when hunting higher ground? If so, what did you wear for socks...Goretex? Sealskinz? Other?
I would be intereseted in hearinig from others that have used their wading boots without the waders for extended hikes, meat packing, etc. Especially interested in what you wore for socks to compensate for the wading boots' permeability to water.
Thanks.
Seal skins or neoprene socks both work for that. Don’t use the simms wet wading booties though, they aren’t waterproof even though they are neoprene. I’ve found the best combo is a nice neoprene bootie with your regular socks under it.

Tclhunts

FNG
I used the Orville ultralights on my September moose hunt and really liked them. I spent all day in them and walked a little over 3 miles a day for the 10 day hunt. Hiked 10 miles one day because I shot a moose 1.7 miles from camp. I did, purposefully, hike in my waders and wading boots before going on the hunt to break in the boots and make sure I was comfortable being in the boots all day. I found the ultralights to be durable and as good of hiking/wading boot as I could find. No issues on my 10 day hunt. Spent all day every day in my waders and wading boots and I was comfortable, dry, and warm!

Over heating hiking in the waders is a real thing. Would hike to our spot with not much under the waders, get to spot and layer up to sit! And as mentioned before, putting on the cold waders and wading boots in the morning was something that kept me in my sleeping bag for an extra 5 min every morning! 😂 after a short hike you warm up fast!

AKDoc

WKR
Another vote for Simm's (sorry to be redundant LOL).

I bought my Simm's G-4 chest waders and G-4 boots about ten years ago. Wore-out the G-4 boots after seven/eight years of good use...no complaints whatsoever. The G-4 chest waders are still going strong, and I replaced my boots with G-3's a couple years ago...they are excellent.

ColeyG

WKR
Simms G3 or G4 boots and G3 wader pants.

I’ve been using this setup for hunting swamp donkeys for 15+ years and don’t foresee changing it up anytime soon. I’m perfectly comfortable hiking/packing a few miles in this setup.

Most of Simms vibram soled boots can be resoled if you wear them out and the body of the boot is still intact. I’ve got about 11 years on one pair of the old leather G4 boots and they are still going strong.

The new G4 boot with the power lock system looks pretty cool. If you are going to be doing and significant stream/river crossings on foot, some traction cleats may be a good idea as a lot of the substrate in the swampy/tannin colored streams up here can be super slick.

I have one pair of plain vibram and another setup with the alumabite cleats for zones with slick rocks.

I guess I got a pair of the crappy Simms boots. I blew out a pair a couple years ago after two seasons. I purchased the Orvis ultralights at the end of the 2021 season and love them. We hike in about 1.5 mile each way to fish several times a year and they’re as comfy as any hiking boot. Not to mentioned, the weight of them is awesome! We had a 0.5 mile one way tundra/swamp pack out for a moose in 2022. Six total round trips in waders done in an afternoon. Lots of pain and torture on that afternoon, but not with the old feet!

IMG_5625.jpeg

Tclhunts

FNG
I used the Orville ultralights on my September moose hunt and really liked them. I spent all day in them and walked a little over 3 miles a day for the 10 day hunt. Hiked 10 miles one day because I shot a moose 1.7 miles from camp. I did, purposefully, hike in my waders and wading boots before going on the hunt to break in the boots and make sure I was comfortable being in the boots all day. I found the ultralights to be durable and as good of hiking/wading boot as I could find. No issues on my 10 day hunt. Spent all day every day in my waders and wading boots and I was comfortable, dry, and warm!

Over heating hiking in the waders is a real thing. Would hike to our spot with not much under the waders, get to spot and layer up to sit! And as mentioned before, putting on the cold waders and wading boots in the morning was something that kept me in my sleeping bag for an extra 5 min every morning! 😂 after a short hike you warm up fast!
Orvis ultralight* not sure why it autocorrected to Orville!

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
On a 16 day float hunt a decade ago, we used rubber soled wading shoes. The same standard lightweight wading shoes I use for fishing. We didn't have any issued with them, especially since we weren't hiking too far off the river anyway. Usually less than a half mile from the river, mainly to get to a high point for glassing.

We ran into a seasoned float hunter on our trip. He was a huge fan of tall neoprene socks and crocs. His strategy was to not shoot a moose very far away from camp. He wore paddle pants over the neoprene socks. They were the ones that killed moose on the trip too, we didn't. Lol.

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted in 2022 in my Sitka waders. I already had them so I figured I’d roll with it instead of buying lighter Simms waders. Don’t regret it one bit. They were awesome. I lived in them for a solid 12 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk