Weak paper tears

dkime

WKR
How many of you have accomplished a truly weak tear through paper with a modern compound and adjusted spine (only spine, not bow adjustments) either statically or dynamically to correct said tear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

dkime

WKR
Didn’t finish my post due to getting pulled away, Bow specs are a 72 Black 5 28.75 and my normal setup is a 300 gr Day Six HD with 150 up front 27”. Tonight I’ve been playing with various shafts laying around the house. Anything from a 400 with 120 up front, cut to 28” to a 300 with 275 up front will all shoot bareshafts clean through paper, makes me wonder why paper tuning gets such a bad rep.

OR Archer

WKR
Problem with people and paper is that most can’t read a tear correctly. Nor do they know what to do with the tear they’re seeing.

OP
D

dkime

WKR
Problem with people and paper is that most can’t read a tear correctly. Nor do they know what to do with the tear they’re seeing.

I’ll agree with that

Zac

WKR
Paper tuning is kind of right out of your bow. Walk back tuning is basically the same thing but you get a glimpse of what your arrow is doing around 40 yards vs 6 feet.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't bother with paper much at all, I go straight to 20 yards and bare shafts versus fletched.....and sometimes straight to 60 yard BH tuning. But when my bow is well tuned, it will shoot 300's, 250's, and 200's well.......75lbs and 32 1/2" draw.

OP
D

dkime

WKR
I don't bother with paper much at all, I go straight to 20 yards and bare shafts versus fletched.....and sometimes straight to 60 yard BH tuning. But when my bow is well tuned, it will shoot 300's, 250's, and 200's well.......75lbs and 32 1/2" draw.

Just for the hell of it, have you ever dropped down to a 350?

The premise of the thread was really just me thinking I should actually test what dynamic spine performs the best out of my bow, I wanted to start with the extremes that I had laying around and decided to try and invoke a truly weak reaction. I trust paper to get me close because as long as it’s bareshaft bullet through paper at 5yds, there’s not much I normally need to do for a hunting rig. This is a hunting forum so I won’t get too much into the target side, but if a guy like Jesse can get away with shooting 570 spine shaft with 140 up front for his outdoor setup and still run 60# it makes a guy think. I’ve got my theories on why stiffer is thought of as better in terms of a hunting rig, but they’re just theories for now.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just for the hell of it, have you ever dropped down to a 350?

I've shot them, but never tried to tune to them out of this bow. But they do not react well as it's tuned now. In my other bows the 350's tuned fine up to about 64lbs and then they start to noodle too much. And all my arrows are 30" CTC. I do shoot the 350's out of my 60lb bow.