Weather effects on modern stocks

Has anyone seen actual tests done on what effects weather has on modern stocks? Expansion/shrinkage from temps and any other variables? Just thinking how much better are modern stocks, actually compared to older wood or laminate ones.

Pdzoller

WKR
I didn’t do any “professional testing” per se but I swear my POI changed significantly on my Vanguard plastic stock from cold to hot temperatures. I switched to a HS stock and haven’t noticed anything since.

I can’t say for sure though because the scope I was using, which I later learned, had a wonky elevation turret. (Don’t skimp on scopes lol)

grfox92

WKR
I free floated my M70 with an older wood stock (1970s) last year. Pretty generously. No problem getting a dollar bill in there.

This year in the summer I went to shoot the gun a little bit, and was all-over the place with a lot of flyers I checked the barrel for free float and tore a dollar bill in half trying to get it in there. The gun had not been taken apart since the last time I sanded it.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
Provided you have a good, stiff stock, it should not affect anything. Tgat is one of the reasons synthetic stocks replaced would stock.

Cheap plastic stock, I have no idea.

Macintosh

WKR
Weather effects? Sure, wood stocks feel a lot warmer in my hand when it gets chilly out. Makes a big difference to me over a long day well below freezing. I do appreciate wood stocks even if they also have some other less-desireable weather effects.