Weather - When Needed?

Warrior10

FNG
With a lot of the late Oct/early Nov hunts one of the huge factors is out of our control....weather.

I was curious on everyone's opinions and thoughts on when that "weather" is needs to occur to benefit your hunt/bring deer down/kick off rut activity? 2-weeks? 1-week? Day before season? During the season?

I understand that the magnitude of the "weather" likely plays role in your answer.

WCB

WKR
I mean depending on if you are talking about a migration hunt or more local herd stuff. Just hours before or after a weather change can totally flip the script. Late season last year we were hunting deer. we already had Cold, Snow etc. A major blizzard was moving in and the day before the movement was 3-4x times what we were seeing plus it was constant right through the start of the storm. Storm raged for 2 days and it took about 1 full day after for the movement to pick up again.

A significant weather change...say 15-20 degrees and maintained can happen a week before or a day before. For deer.

For Elk it can be day to day and I as long as it happens during the hunt I don't care too much. 75 degrees one day dropping into the 60 or lower for a day...Awesome.

wytx

WKR
No weather needed just pre rut bucks moving around and staging with doe groups by last week in Oct. here.
Snow ill push them down maybe but not affect the rut or pre rut from what we have seen.
This is not high country hunting though.

OP
W

Warrior10

FNG
Thanks for the responses. Was mainly talking resident deer herds and in the high country. But others might be interested in thoughts on non-high country so thanks for sharing.

nphunter

WKR
Any weather is fine with me except for fog. I like hunting in the rain, deer are out in the open more often and glassing can be better if you can keep your optics dry. Hot dry weather with good sun makes bedding areas more predictable though. Snow makes them easier to track, wind makes them easier to sneak up on.

If I had to pick the perfect weather I would want, really cold, sunny and slightly windy.