Weim opinions/advice

Ohio3561

FNG
Hello everyone,

longtime lurker but not much of a poster. Really enjoy this website. I’m looking to get a pup in the spring of 2021 and trying to do some homework before hand. I have the Ronnie smith training book and am starting to read through it. As my handle implies I live in Ohio. I have been hunting since a young boy. Mainly ducks, deer, and some upland. I have really gotten into the upland game here in recent years.

My friend has a pair of gsp and and an ep. we have traveled around here the last few years to SD, IA, and WV for pheasants and grouse. Hopi Nd to add more states and species in the coming years.

I want to add to the dog power for our out of state trips as well as pheasants and some waterfowl marsh hunting here in Ohio.

I like the looks of weims and want to be different than the standard gsp, lab, etc. looking for advice on weim owners in there all around hunting and trainability.

I don’t have enough posts to pm anyone yet but been following the favorite dog thread. I also have a5 year old boy whom I’ve had out in the marsh with me last year and hope he takes to the upland game too. He’s a big dog lover and had to put our last pet down this year.

sorry for the long first post but thanks in advance for replies. Side note I am heading to Wyoming next fall on an elk hunt so hopefully I can contribute to other threads after I gain some experience.

I have had Weims in my family for over 40 years. They are a great dog. My parents have 3 now and I have 1. They were training one for hunting but they are older now and decided to stop. Mine is just a house dog as I don’t get much into upland game here in S. UT. Too bad too as mine is so bird crazy. It’s in his blood for sure.

As a kid living in WI my dad had trained a few for pheasant. They all hunted well. Like any dog you will get variations but in my experience they are very smart and highly trainable. I actually just started training mine to come to me from the beep on his e- collar. Took him one day to figure it out. As a pup he was house trained with only 2 inside accidents. We make sure he has toys and he has never chewed on anything that he wasn’t allowed to. They are high energy like most hunting breeds so need constant exercise.

Anyway. As a breed I really like them. Of the 10 or so we have had in the family since I was a kid they have all been good dogs. A couple would not have made good hunting dogs but that may be due to it never being expected of them. The ones trained for it all worked out.

OP
O

Ohio3561

FNG
MuleyFever,

Thanks for the information! There are a couple breeders in MI that breed specifically for hunting so have been looking into them for a pup.

I had a lab growing up but this will be my first pointer. I’ve really gotten into watching my friends dog work in the field.

im glad to hear you had no issues as family pets. I’ve heard from others that they can be a one-owner dog and kind of temperamental.

I live in a rural area and will have a place to run the dog for training and to burn energy. We don’t have much of a pheasant or grouse population here except for state releases and preserves. That’s why my partner and I travel and hunt the releases as “clean up” during the week after crowds gone.

thanks again

Good luck with the search.Weim breeders that specialize in hunters can be tough to find.I wound up getting a Vizsla last year which are very similar to the Weims.He is working out great on wild birds and released birds.Just be warned.Those 2 breeds love spending time with the family.Hence the moniker "velcro dog".

Hence the moniker "velcro dog".

Mine wont leave my side. If I move he is up staring at me wondering where we are going. I cannot move about the house alone, ever.

Outside though he is off, nose to the ground, running through the sage every chance he gets.

OP
O

Ohio3561

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I’m going to call the breeders and see I figured I can come look at their dogs/watch them work when the lockdown is done

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
You might try the “Gun dog forum.” I think there are some guys on there who have Weim‘s and of not could probably point you to someone who does.

JMDavies

WKR
Good morning, I've had anywhere from 2 to 7 Weimaraners running around here for the last 25 years and have had 2 litter also. I'm not doing any breeding but still have some great connections to hunting breeders. I'd enjoy hearing more about what you're looking for. Don't hesitate to PM me when you get your 10 posts

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning, I've had anywhere from 2 to 7 Weimaraners running around here for the last 25 years and have had 2 litter also. I'm not doing any breeding but still have some great connections to hunting breeders. I'd enjoy hearing more about what you're looking for. Don't hesitate to PM me when you get your 10 posts

JMDavies, what part of the country are you in?

-- Scott

OP
O

Ohio3561

FNG
thanks for all the replies so far, JM I will be sending you a pm when I het ten to give you more details

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
My first upland dog was Weim, possibly the best dog I will ever have when it comes to being a pal. I thought he was the best bird dog around until I started running well bred setters, I now know he was a great partner in the field and a ok bird dog. If you go that route Id highly recommend having your vet tack his stomach. He rolled his when he was 7 and I almost lost him then, he died a year later of a tumor most likely from the rolled gut. My vet said its common in that breed and other barrel chested athletic dogs

Mosby

WKR
Nothing wrong with Weim's for upland. Not sure about the waterfowl part though. I am a Vizsla guy and highly recommend but there are better breeds if you want to waterfowl hunt too. Really cold weather and water can be tough on them. They don't have the coat for it. JMO.

I have been around some good ones but never a great one in the field.

As far as breed, you need to think about what you will hunt for, the habitat, etc and how you want your dog to hunt, then find the breed and breeding that meets your requirements.