Weird Harvest stats

I'm looking at a some harvest stats for Elk in Idaho.. Success rate for one unit is 33%... But there were 4 hunters for that unit..... WTF Did someone kill 1/3 of an animal??

Jaquomo

WKR
Colorado's stats are laughable. The year I hunted one of the OIL elk units, there were six resident archery tags, one nonresident, and one landowner tag. One resident hunter I know didn't fill his tag. But the reported success rate was 100%. You would think they could get it right with only 8 bowhunters....

I'm looking at a some harvest stats for Elk in Idaho.. Success rate for one unit is 33%... But there were 4 hunters for that unit..... WTF Did someone kill 1/3 of an animal??

Maybe one dude didn't hunt the tag and they calculate success as kills per hunter that tried?

Idaho has mandatory hunter surveys, so in theory, they should be accurate. You can choose not to report, but you ain’t getting another hunting license until you do. I guess there is a margin of error with any system.

NV has to have the most dialed in statistics out of the western states, while MT has absolute guesswork and fabrication for their “harvest estimates”.

go_deep

WKR
Idaho has mandatory hunter surveys, so in theory, they should be accurate. You can choose not to report, but you ain’t getting another hunting license until you do. I guess there is a margin of error with any system.

NV has to have the most dialed in statistics out of the western states, while MT has absolute guesswork and fabrication for their “harvest estimates”.

Guess I wouldn't worry about reporting if you died, and then wouldn't worry to much about another license either.

Idaho has mandatory hunter surveys, so in theory, they should be accurate. You can choose not to report, but you ain’t getting another hunting license until you do.
Where do you come up with not getting a license as a result of not reporting? I know a shit load of people who never do their hunter report and they get a license every year.

One year when I was still living there I forgot to report and the system prompted me to. That was at a F&G office and quite a while ago though.

I haven’t tried to apply without reporting with the current online vendor. It wouldn’t surprise me if it isn’t linked. That would definitely explain the shitty stats.

Beendare

WKR
When they don’t get every report….they apply some algorithm or extrapolate- thats never good.

Now I’m just guessing here…but wouldn’t you think that successful guys are more likely to reply? I know some guys that say they didnt kill to keep the success rates lower in their preferred unit.

Heck, the gov cannot even run a fair election…who knows how accurate these stats are?

Last edited: