Well it starts..

3Arrows

FNG
I know alot of people do this at this time of year but I think it's time to get into shape...bla bla bla...

I'm trying to put a work out together. I can't afford a trainer but am getting a gym membership and gonna start hitting it as much as possible.

I'm 34, 6'3" and 215(most of it in my belly). I'm thinking of a routine like 30mins Cardio/30mins Weights proly 3-4 times a week. I work early so proly evenings after dinner with the family so I slow my beer time down.

I started taking MTNOPS about a year ago but no gym time, only hiking with the family and I haven't seen any results. I didn't really watch what I was eating and drinking beer nightly. Now the wife and I have decided to move towards a paleo type diet and get in the gym together.

So what I'm looking for is where to start at the gym? Im looking for advice on which machines to hit and free weight routines. I don't want to beef up but want to stay strong on the 7th day. As for cardio, its proly just running the treadmill and hiking on the weekend.

I was trying to pack out my sons deer this year and felt and proly looked like weak old man to him. That's when I figured things need to change. I want to be climbing the mountain with my grandchildren so lets get this going.

Thanks in advance guys

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
I'll let the experts get specific, but I just wanted to say good for you. It sounds like you've hit your "time to stop the slide" moment. I had that moment last January. I haven't gotten crazy in the gym, every day i work, I workout. Minimum of 15 times a month right there, most months 20+. But in all reality I think the biggest impact came from completely overhauling what I ate, and when I ate it. I still eat junk, but only rarely as at this point as my body isn't fond of it anymore. Anyways, guess what I'm driving at is good for you, you'll thank yourself this time next year.

Find a good full body circuit to begin with and do cardio after you hit the weights. Bodybuilding.com has a ton of free lift programs for most goals you are trying to achieve.

If you're gym has a trap bar, use it. It's a great way to build full body strength.

Last year I discovered that my ham strings and hip flexors were my weak points when hiking under load. Typically, you think of using quads, glutes, and calves to "push" yourself uphill. What I found was that I am much more efficient when I am able to exert an equal amount of "pull" with my legs. Also, using trekking poles to engage the lats has been huge.

My typical lower body workout looks something like this:

I warm up on the bike for about 15 minutes at a fairly moderate resistance on the hill climb setting. Preferably, the bike with your legs out in front. I'm not going for jacking up my heart rate, I just focus on feeling the muscles work.

Then maybe a few mobility drills and dynamic stretches.

Once I feel like I'm warmed up enough to get to work, I'll start my major compound movements.

Occasionally, I'll do a few light walking lunges to get the muscles primed.

Then it's work time. I choose either trap bar deadlifts, squats, or conventional deadlifts. Ramping up the weight to a 3-5 rep max with squats and usually hitting a one rep max a couple times with either deadlifts variation. Reduce weight to a normal 10 rep max and bang out another set.

(Some days I mix it up and do German volume instead I.e: 10 sets of 10 reps. It gets brutal at the end.)

Then I'll do another heavy supplemental movement. Either Zercher front squats to hit the quads or straight leg DL for the hams and low back erectors.

Deload the spine with some pullups or/and hanging leg raises.

Follow up with something to target weak points. If your balance is off, maybe some split-squats.

I usually do step-ups because I feel they directly translate to the mountain. At this point, I've covered strength and am focused on stamina. Think 20-50-100 reps. Start with a shin high stool and step up with one leg and drive the opposite knee to your ribs. Then grab whatever size plates you can handle and repeat.

If you did it right (intensity) this should've covered your cardio needs.

I'm a firm believer that "steady state" cardio is a waste of time. Treadmills, stair steppers, the god awful elyptical machines.... Pointless.

Grab weight, whatever you can handle, and move it. You'll get stronger, improve your cardiovascular endurance, and burn fat in less time.

I do occasionally run trails and such but I prefer hiking with a loaded pack.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some good stuff and good luck on your future workouts my two cents is to add in some interval training on anything cardio..agree with what stated about steady state treadmill to a point as I live on a treadmill due to convenience and to protect my knee. I keep it on 15 grade all the time and mix in intervals up to 4.1 mph typically only going for 30-60 minutes. As with any workout routine consistency and limiting injury are key. 8.5 months until the next season begins!

OP

3Arrows

FNG
I have a little arthritis in my lower back, do you guys have any routines to help strengthen that part? When I go hiking I like to strap my 2 year son (he's about 30lbs) to my back with one of those Kelty kids carrier. That usually gives me a pretty good work out.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
No physical therapist here, but I would recommend stretching and abdominal training to help support the lower back..I have a reoccurring SI issue from packing to many elk and being old :) and these two things along with an occasional visit to the chiro help mine.

JWP58

WKR
Don't neglect flexibility training, or core work. For the first 4-5wks I would keep my load fairly light and reps high 3 sets for 12 to 15 reps (with the last two reps of each set being very difficult..don't go too light). Focus on lifting right, with form being the most important not weight.

OP

3Arrows

FNG
Anyone have a "snow day at home in the living room with out equipment" routine? Maybe PU,SU,Dips and some DVD cardio..?

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I can lift weights all day and not get bored. The struggle for me comes in the redundancy of getting on a treadmill every day for cardio. What I do to mix it up is do a different kind of cardio every day. For example:
Day 1: Elliptical Row machine
Day 2: Stairmaster with weight
Day 3: Box with heavy bag
Day 4: Jump rope
Day 5: Run 4mi w/ Pushups pullups and dips every half mile
Day 6: Bike
Day 7: Full court basketball with the gangsters.

Ray

WKR
I didn't really watch what I was eating and drinking beer nightly. Now the wife and I have decided to move towards a paleo type diet and get in the gym together.

So what I'm looking for is where to start at the gym? Im looking for advice on which machines to hit and free weight routines. I don't want to beef up but want to stay strong on the 7th day. As for cardio, its proly just running the treadmill and hiking on the weekend.

http://30kview.com/

The best fat loss paleo type eating program is AltShift. See the above link. Go to the blog portion and review the stored periscopes, listen to some podcasts, etc. I have a hard time handling their facebook group at times, but there are some really good examples of what happens over the long term of eating under this system. I have been eating under a paleo system since May 2012 and I would recommend do that for at least 3 months before starting AltShift. The low carb part of it is ketogenic and that can crush people just jumping into the lifestyle.