Western Kansas mule deer archery

Taw024

FNG
Hi all

I'm kinda new here been lurking. I am planning my first mule deer hunt for western ks this year. I got my location picked out. I have a decent pair of 8x32 and a older cheap Vortex nomad. My ? Is for u guys that hunt open country mule deer. I am wanting to get some new glass and I am having troubles on pick a spotter or 12x50 binos. I am not trophy hunting but need to be able to tell if it's a decent one or not. Not gonna count inches. Binos would be used off tripod. What would u suggest I get?

Thanks for advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
I grew up in western Kansas and have hunted mule deer there a fair amount the last several years. That's kind of a tough one because I use my 10x's a lot, but also mount my spotter on a window mount to glass after finding deert. I would say if you've got a decent pair of 8x32 you're happy with, go with the spotter. But at the same time a pair of 12x50 would be a great choice for just telling if it was a decent deer you wanted to go after.

Also, even though you're hunting them on open country, I think you'd be surprised to find you're not going to (commonly) glass up deer from miles and miles away. They tend to stick to creek bottoms, cuts, draws, sand pits, etc. in pastures and CRP. Or that has been my experience with hunting them there anyhow. Hopefully that helps you decide on your optics!

Just out of curiousity, where are you planning to hunt around? You can PM me if you don't want to post it on this thread.

marktole

WKR
If you go before the milo is cut neither will do much good from my experience.

I'll second that. Standing corn and milo makes things very, very difficult. Bump them hard enough and they'll head straight for it and won't come out til the combine shows up.

OP
T

Taw024

FNG
Yes I'm aware of this fact. My plan is to go out in September and scout a little see what crops around. Then head back in october for a hunt and then if need for a full week in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dt87

FNG
Taw-you been out there yet? I'm going up NW on Friday then west central on Saturday to a buddies place. If you've been out, where'd you go?

Drew