Western Mountaineering Regular vs Long...

I am 6'1 and looking for thoughts on sizing a WM bag. I will be shopping the second-hand market and there seem to be more 6'0'' bags than 6'6'' bags. Would I be disappointed with a 6' bag? I am not a particularly active sleeper and 185 lbs.

Jbehredt

WKR
6’2” and I have more than enough room in my 6’6” badger. Like more than 4” to spare. I’d say you’ll be happy in a 6’.

AKDoc

WKR
I'm 5'10" and a friend of mine is 6'2"...two years ago we ordered our WM Badger bags at the same time. I ordered a regular and he ordered a long. When they arrived, I picked up both bags for us and brought them to my house because my friend lives out of town. When I got home I climbed into my bag, and it was a perfect fit right out of the box...not too big, not too small for the past two years and still going strong. That said, if I were much taller, I think I might be pushing the limit in length and bordering on compressing the down at the foot of the bag at times. I was initially wondering what a long would have been like, so I climbed into my friend's bag when I first brought them home, and it was way too long for me...but at 6'2" it is just right for him and he is very comfortable in it.

That's my qualified way of saying as a 5"10" guy to a 6'1" guy...consider getting the long...even though it might feel a bit longer than you need and wondering if a regular would have worked for you.

*zap*

WKR
6' and prefer the long especially in colder temps. I can get by with a 6' thou. For wm bags I have a long kodiak and a very old (refurbished by wm for free, including a down top off and overfill) versalite in regular length.

6’ and the 6’ Reg works fine but I prefer the 6’6” Long for the extra room. I can slide down towards the foot and use the hood to hold my pillow in place above me, I can throw a bladder or electronics or clothes in the foot to keep warm for the morning. Having owned and used both I will always grab the long when it’s available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
I am 6'1 and looking for thoughts on sizing a WM bag. I will be shopping the second-hand market and there seem to be more 6'0'' bags than 6'6'' bags. Would I be disappointed with a 6' bag? I am not a particularly active sleeper and 185 lbs.
I’m 6’2” and 20 lbs ago was 175. Definitely get the long.

Hoss

FNG
I am 6'2" at 185 and have a WM Summerlite (20deg) Long I bought in 2006 for my JMT hike.
Also have the Antelope (5deg) for colder trips. Both still going strong.
Used them multiple time since in CO and NM backpacking and hunting.
Nice to have the extra length when pulling shoulder and face drawstrings up tight for cold nights.
I would recommend the Long.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You’ll probably want the long version if your spending g that sort of money. I’m 6’4 and got a long badger. Fits great.

I'm 6'6" and have the badger in long, fits perfectly. Might have considered the 7' version of it was available when I bought, but the long is plenty big for me.

I am 5-10 and just got my 6' kodiak in the mail. If I push my toes to the ground I can just barely feel the end of the bag so if you are 3inches or so taller your feet would be at the end. I would probably go up to the 6.5 foot bag. Can always throw a jacket or something in the foot box to take up room.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm 5' 11" and 215 pounds. I prefer a 6' 6" bag in western mountaineering lineup. I wear a size 12 boot and often extend my feet and toes downward while sleeping. I feel the bottom of the bag in the 6 foot version and often battled cold feet. 6' 6" version fixed that.

CJ AK

FNG
I'm 5'10" and a friend of mine is 6'2"...two years ago we ordered our WM Badger bags at the same time. I ordered a regular and he ordered a long. When they arrived, I picked up both bags for us and brought them to my house because my friend lives out of town. When I got home I climbed into my bag, and it was a perfect fit right out of the box...not too big, not too small for the past two years and still going strong. That said, if I were much taller, I think I might be pushing the limit in length and bordering on compressing the down at the foot of the bag at times. I was initially wondering what a long would have been like, so I climbed into my friend's bag when I first brought them home, and it was way too long for me...but at 6'2" it is just right for him and he is very comfortable in it.

That's my qualified way of saying as a 5"10" guy to a 6'1" guy...consider getting the long...even though it might feel a bit longer than you need and wondering if a regular would have worked for you.
Thanks Doc! It's time to drop the hammer for a WM bag and I wondered if I could get away with a 6 foot bag, save a couple $ and shave a couple oz weight. I'm 6'2" you and the others on here make it pretty clear a long bag is the way to go

fshaw

WKR
I think you’ll be happy with that decision. I’m 6’1” and went with a long. Very happy with the bag.

I’m 6’2 and a 6’-6” badger is perfect for me

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
6 foot, used to be 6'1"ish but that's another story
Have used the reg and the long in the mega and badger.
A bit beefy these days and prefer the long.
Haven't taken them below 20, bow season, but enjoy the added wrestle room.

R