Western state draw results

Jonesan20

FNG
Does anyone out there have a good spread sheet on when draw results are posted? I realize they are not always on the same date each year but just something to get a guy close.

fatlander

WKR
They’re all over the internet, for free. Draw odds companies all post them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen anything for draw results.

GoHunt has a good list of draw deadlines, but you'd probably have to go into each State's overview page and extrapolate the expected draw results timeline from each.

finner

Lil-Rokslider
GoHunt has one from 2022 that still holds up fairly close, at least for the MT results date

OP
Jonesan20

Jonesan20

FNG
They’re all over the internet, for free. Draw odds companies all post them.

I think you’re talking about application deadlines. Results are hard to find. I have used GoHunts 2022 spreadsheet but things have changed and it’s not super easy to read.

fatlander

WKR
They used to put the expected results dates in the spreadsheet with the deadline dates.

Nothing has changed that much. It’ll be pretty close.

If it had changed that much, you already know the answer.

OP
Jonesan20

Jonesan20

FNG
They used to put the expected results dates in the spreadsheet with the deadline dates.

Nothing has changed that much. It’ll be pretty close.

If it had changed that much, you already know the answer.

I think you’re missing the point. Trying to see if anyone has a simple spreadsheet made up. I know how to use google but thank you for the great tips.

hiker270

WKR
Draw dates are all over the place on different months for different states. Make sure you check for your draw results as I have on occasion not been notified that I have drawn.

OMB

WKR
Pretty sure Huntin Fool or others have them posted on their site.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Not to derail the thread to much, but could someone explain to me why it takes so long to announce the results. I don't understand why it would take a state, e.g., WY, 3.5+ months from the Jan 31st deadline to announce results other than to blame it on pure gov incompetence.

OP
Jonesan20

Jonesan20

FNG
Not to derail the thread to much, but could someone explain to me why it takes so long to announce the results. I don't understand why it would take a state, e.g., WY, 3.5+ months from the Jan 31st deadline to announce results other than to blame it on pure gov incompetence.
I have been told Wyoming in particular waits until they can see how hard the winter was and then establish their tag quota. I still don’t know why they make the deadline so early other than they are possibly trying to make money by holding our money.

Jethro

WKR
Results - CO 5/28-5/31, NM 5/17 or 24, WY elk 5/16. Thats all I can help you with.

Regarding WY, they don't do draw till May so that is probably the main reason they can't post the results. The Jan deadline has nothing to do with making money off our money. The early date is a gift to WYOGA.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have been told Wyoming in particular waits until they can see how hard the winter was and then establish their tag quota. I still don’t know why they make the deadline so early other than they are possibly trying to make money by holding our money.
That sounds reasonable. However, they could create the rank order of the drawing results and release it almost immediately after the deadline. Then about 75% would know whether we're going to get a tag based on previous years. Then we could make our plans earlier including investing in another state like Montana if we're likely below the cutoff.

E.g., I'm just going to make up numbers. I'm number 10,989 for unit 3. Unit 3 historically issues 8,100 tags. In this scenario I know immediately that I'm out of luck. I can either hope for better next year or explore other states.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds reasonable. However, they could create the rank order of the drawing results and release it almost immediately after the deadline. Then about 75% would know whether we're going to get a tag based on previous years. Then we could make our plans earlier including investing in another state like Montana if we're likely below the cutoff.

E.g., I'm just going to make up numbers. I'm number 10,989 for unit 3. Unit 3 historically issues 8,100 tags. In this scenario I know immediately that I'm out of luck. I can either hope for better next year or explore other states.
They could let you apply after they established tag numbers just like they do residents but instead they make you apply in January.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
They could let you apply after they established tag numbers just like they do residents but instead they make you apply in January.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
That would be 100% better than the current system. However, I do prefer my process only because I would like to find out before the application deadline for other states.

My $.02: All Western states should do their draw results reveal on the same day.

We can call it "Disappointment Day". Kinda like military branching day...

You wanted Aviation based in Hawaii, instead you got Base Security at Ft. Iceberg, ND.

My $.02: All Western states should do their draw results reveal on the same day.

We can call it "Disappointment Day". Kinda like military branching day...

You wanted Aviation based in Hawaii, instead you got Base Security at Ft. Iceberg, ND.
I’d rather base my choices for later draws based on my luck (or usually, the lack thereof) in the earlier ones

I’d rather base my choices for later draws based on my luck (or usually, the lack thereof) in the earlier ones
I hear you. I do the same. I guess I'm just thinking If my dream of chasing a big bull through the western mountains is gonna become the reality of trying to shoot a small whitetail behind a subdivision, we might as well get it over with in one fell swoop...