Wet, Cool and Humid Meat Care Video

Bambistew

WKR
Do you bring spare bags, or just wash and dry?

Could you put the meat in contractor bags once its all cooled and dry for the boat ride, to keep them dry?

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I sometimes bring an extra game bags set per animal but not always. It's easy enough to river wash TAG Bags clean and dry them over willows. Takes <30 min to dry out while the meat gets handled, trimmed, flipped, aired out or whatever.

I try to avoid contractor bag or plastic bag usage unless ambient temps stay above 60F, and even then meat stays in plastic only as long as beneficial. If "submersing" meat in bags, 1-2 hours under water is about it for effectiveness.

As meat cools the first 48 hours the meat temperature is falling as gravity drains vessels, convection and radiation heat loss results in sweating and evaporation, many fluid dynamics to respect with wild meat care. If you place meat inside a plastic bag, sweating will occur and humidity inside the bag (fluid trap) is almost unavoidable. This creates an environment absolutely opposite our meat care goals.

It's tempting to tightly tarp or protect meat bags inside a plastic bag "temporarily" on the drift, but i've been able to demonstrate that it's okay for meat to get wet on-the-go as long as airflow and ventilation is maintained and meat gets cared for effectively and dried in a shady spot once in camp.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've heard of hunters who know about and use a couple of touted "tricks" to keep meat fresh and help cool: citric acid and meat immersion (submersion) are two tactics that I personally have used and preach in educational vids for extreme preservation tactics, but be reminded that these two "tricks" are last resort measures not to be considered every-time principles.

I have learned to appreciate wind speed over damp or wet meat in its value to increase heat loss in wild meat, so a loose-fitting or no tarp at all while transporting meat is not bad advice. Some days on certain trips my meat gets SOAKED for hours on the go. Once dried in camp the core temps prove lower than meat that sits in the sun on a dry raft all day.

I have also learned to respect the time and conditions required for spoilage to occur, which lends many skillful tactics to employ without the use of citric acid or meat immersion.

The parting shot is to employ the most efficient and non-invasive methods of meat preservation before engaging methods that have slightly unsavory results if overused or misused.