Proper meat care 101 in high school.

I just thought I'd share this because I thought it was super cool and a great educational experience for everyone involved. Yesterday my 10th grade daughter came home from school and told me about their biology teacher bringing a moose into class to teach the kids the proper way to break down large game and care for the meat. The teacher killed a bull moose a couple days ago and was able to just gut it in the field, load it up on a flatbed trailer and bring it into the school for skinning and processing. I'm sure that for many of the kids this was nothing new, but I'm also sure that there were some that had never experienced this kind of thing before. As it turned out, everyone had a good time and really enjoyed the experience. Kudos to you Mr. Mason!
29be3dd3cc35b995f3c10759379c2895.jpeg

55ac86b3baad7375abc19f32f5fe1548.png

2893dc81ecde0077ff645b9ebb58533e.jpeg

f18af2c1251a2c8ddd88720d349eba39.jpeg

e2a3ae7fa62087e1a2db225c65cff24a.png

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's awesome. Picture of that moose rolling down the hallway is epic!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
Can someone nominate this guy for teacher of the year!
Rolling down the hallway with a dead moose, that an awesome school!

TaperPin

WKR
That’s awesome!
Exactly the kind of skill many of them will use their whole lives. I wish schools would allow more of that.

Catchfish

WKR
I’ve heard of him doing this before. I have to say the picture in the hall is great. I also heard they may have done this at the nikiski school this fall as well.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a science teacher at a small high school. My principal sent me a picture of this he saw on Facebook and asked if something like that would be possible.
Talk about an awesome request from your boss! I happen to have a late cow elk tag I was up in the air about whether I'd fill or not. I guess I'd better get that thing filled. The other great part about it will be showing the kids some basic ways to prepare it in the kitchen and letting them take as much as they'd like home with them.
So thank you Mr. Mason! I didn't know this was an option haha

DAD

FNG
That is awesome! Those kids are so lucky to have an experience like this!

That’s freaking awesome!

I was going to build a new commercial plant and move out of the one I have now. Part of it was going to be a classroom setting for local high school kids through the technical center. Turned out to cost more than I could afford for the payments so I didn’t do it.

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
This is excellent, nice to see this. I teach at a high school. Our Agriculture classes run a butcher shop. They do everything from chickens to beef. Live animals come in and leave vacuum sealed. Deer and other game included during hunting season.