what adapter(s) for SLC's for tripod?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Arca Swiss plates for my spotter and rifle (and previously for my binos prior to the SLC's). I looked at Outdoorsman's and it looks like the use a different adapter???- which I'm not interested in changing if it is.

They (Outdoorsman's) show a Arca plate on their site, but not sure how it integrates with their stud and adapter?

I see Swaro has their own adapter and stud- it appears to be Arca compatible

So SLC's to tripod options?

Thanks

MattB

WKR

MattB

WKR
The Swaro adapter is a much inferior product to the Outdoorsmans in terms of the security of attachment. I’ve owned both.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just put the Outdoorsmans bino post on an Arca plate and call it good. It's the best bino post system on the market.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks!

I'll give them (Outdoorsman) a call, but I think I need the stud, the adapter AND the Arca adapter plate (along with a Arca plate which I have a couple).

Thanks on the RRS stuff, hadn't considered them- I'll peek at them as well

bpurtz

WKR
This might be a little weird mixing top shelf optic options, but you could attach your Arca Swiss to a Leica Stabalite Binocular Adapter - I use this system for my Geovids since an Outdoorsmans stud is not an option. I think some other manufactures offer similar cradles that might be less expensive.

mthayr

WKR

@mtwarden with the KDC adapter the tower has a 1/4-20 in the bottom to put your arca plate on. I'm 99% certain outdoorsman's is the same and you do not need an outdoorsman's arca plate if you already have some.
I've owned this one, it is certainly light, but I wasn't impressed with its connection hardware. It was a very small clamp for my (average sized) fingers - can't imagine it'd all the fun to work with gloves on. Just my $0.02

sndmn11

WKR
I've owned this one, it is certainly light, but I wasn't impressed with its connection hardware. It was a very small clamp for my (average sized) fingers - can't imagine it'd all the fun to work with gloves on. Just my $0.02

Thumb/forefinger on lever, opposite behind noculars, squeeze. No fine touch needed.

Screenshot_20220124-203721.png

MattB

WKR
Thanks!

I'll give them (Outdoorsman) a call, but I think I need the stud, the adapter AND the Arca adapter plate (along with a Arca plate which I have a couple).

Thanks on the RRS stuff, hadn't considered them- I'll peek at them as well
The adapter female is 1/4"x20, could very well be the same as the male on your Arca plate. I highly doubt you need an adapter plate and an Arca plate (likely just two different descriptions for the same thing). The Outdoorsmans guys will set you straight.

BBob

WKR
All Outdoorsmans binocular adapters are machined with their proprietary dovetail. It is drilled and tapped on the bottom female 1/4-20. To adapt to ARCA you either add any ARCA plate to the bottom of the adapter or an Outdoorsmans ARCA adapter plate that is machined to match the base of the adapter. It has pins/setscrews installed to integrate with the adapter so it can’t spin. It just about looks like it was machined as part of the adapter when installed.

Attachments

• 4FAAA5D9-8435-4F49-A229-9807EF853728.jpeg
    4FAAA5D9-8435-4F49-A229-9807EF853728.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 13
  • 596B266C-B1FF-4897-951D-FB69F4F5C127.jpeg
    596B266C-B1FF-4897-951D-FB69F4F5C127.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: