What am I missing? (November - Colorado)

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
Going to Colorado in November. Below is my gear list. Is there anything you'd add?

Upper body:
-Kuiu Guide Jacket (Verde)
-FL Uncompahgre (Fusion)
-Patagona Nano Puff vest (charcoal)
-FL Chama Hoody (Fusion)
-FL Chama QZ (Pine)
-FL Llano long sleeve (Fusion)
-FL Llano short sleeve (Pine)
-Kuiu 145 long sleeve x2 (Brindle)
-FL Blaze orange beanie
-Rain poncho
-Blaze orange hat (still need to purchase)
-Blaze orange best (still need to purchase)
-Gloves (Still need to purcahse..no idea what to get)
-Might get a neck gaiter

***Of course I am not wearing all of those at once. Basically have two sets just in case. But a typical set up would probably be llano long sleeve under a chama Hoody/QZ with the Nano puff vest if needed and the Kuiu Guide Jacket or uncompahgre over it.

Lower body:
-Kuiu Guide pant (verde)
-Kuiu Attack pant (charcoal)
-prAna stretch zion (mud)
-FL merino boxers x2
-A couple synthetic long base layers just in case (might purcahse the FL though)
-OR crocodile gaiters
-several Kuiu, Darn Tough and Smart Wool socks
-Lowa Tibet gtx

Also, we day hiking. We are not staying out in the wilderness. We are setting out at the crack of dawn and hiking back to our cabin at night. So, I will have plenty of room in my pack to carry extra layers.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Neck gaiter for sure. Simply covering your neck and face will keep you comfortable. I would expect your morning temperature to be 20ish. With no wind just walking you will loose body heat fast at any exposed skin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wouldn't say "just in case" on the long base layers, more likely than not you'll be wearing them unless highly active during some of the days (at least the mornings) in Nov... Otherwise seems like you have a lot of insulation available if/when it decides to go from 70s to below 0. Nice to be able to over pack for basecamp hunts. :)

Gloves I like a thin pair of gloves whether it be one of the hunt manufacturers or just some black polartec power stretch gloves, etc. these seem to work well for me until it gets below 20 out. I have a pair of mountain hardware winter gloves that aren't overly thick that I can still work a rifle with if it gets colder out. Sometimes I'll wear a thin glove on my shooting hand and keep that hand in my vest pocket to stay warmer and leave my other hand out with a thicker glove on.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are all those socks of different thicknesses?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Looks like you've got four base layer tops. And since it's Nov you may even want to use the Chama's as your base layer, so now you have six. Way too many for me as I'll use the same shirt for a week. I also prefer fleece over my base layer top as it slides over the merino and doesn't bunch, is lightweight, provides a lot more warmth to weight, and breathes really well for hiking.

I hope you aren't prone to cold feet.

Your example Llano > Chama > Nano Puff > Guide DCS is the exact same system I wear in late season rifle hunts here. If its cold, I'll swap the Nano Puff vest for a Nano Puff Hoody but thats about it. What is nice about this system is how adaptable it is. Even in November, it can be in the 60's during the day and below freezing in the mornings, depending on the elevation the swing can be even more drastic.

OP
A

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
Are all those socks of different thicknesses?

Yes, the socks are different thicknesses. I am probably going to pick up a couple more pairs of thicker socks.

OP
A

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you've got four base layer tops. And since it's Nov you may even want to use the Chama's as your base layer, so now you have six. Way too many for me as I'll use the same shirt for a week. I also prefer fleece over my base layer top as it slides over the merino and doesn't bunch, is lightweight, provides a lot more warmth to weight, and breathes really well for hiking.

I hope you aren't prone to cold feet.

Nope, my feet will be just find with the boots and thick wool socks :)

And thanks, I might look into a fleece. Though, "lightweight" really isn't relevant to me. Especially when we are just talking about difference between ounces. Never understood that talk.

warrior80

WKR
Neck gaiter for sure. Simply covering your neck and face will keep you comfortable. I would expect your morning temperature to be 20ish. With no wind just walking you will loose body heat fast at any exposed skin.

This for sure. A neck gaiter or balaclava make a big difference for keeping warm when the temps drop. As for gloves, that depends a lot on how cold your hands get. My hands and feet get cold really easily. I've got a bunch of different gloves. I like the Kuiu Yukon Pro because they're waterproof and have insulation. I also have a pair of pretty cheap fleece gloves that leave your fingertips exposed but have a hood that you can pull over so they are a mitten. I like those because you can just pull the mitt part back when you're ready to shoot. You can also throw hardwarmers in them. These are them.

Amazon.com : Manzella Productions Bow Hunter Convertible Glove/Mitten, Thinsulate APX, Large : Sports & Outdoors

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OP
A

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
Don't go giving mother nature a challenge now, never know when she'll deliver double digit sub zero temps on ya. ;)

Well, what else can I add? I have boots, wool socks and gaiters. Not much I can stick in there to prepare for the elements.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In a pinch hand warmers. I have pondered light over boots for a late season hunt if I need to sit at all (morning glassing can get cold) my feet got really cold 2014. But I am hunting Oct this year it turns out so that is back burner.

Just saying don't tempt fate. ;)

warrior80

WKR
Well, what else can I add? I have boots, wool socks and gaiters. Not much I can stick in there to prepare for the elements.
You just never know how cold it's going to get. I guess if it got too cold you could always hike back to your cabin. My buddy and I made the mistake of staying out in really cold temps and I didn't get all the feeling back in my toes for almost 6 months. Lucky nothing worse happened. That was two seasons ago. I was wearing full leather goretex Asolo TPS 520 boots with thick wool socks and gaiters. I think my socks were too thick which crammed my toes making my blood flow worse. Last season I wore insulated Meindls when it got cold that were a half size larger and with a wider toe box. It was much better in the snow. I like the Lowa Tibets, so if you don't get cold feet easily and have plenty of room to allow for thick socks, you might be ok. Maybe carry some toe warmers in case. But I have poor circulation in my feet so my toes get cold very easy. So I am always trying to prepare for it. After that incident I now have an assortment of boots from non insulated to heavily insulated.

OP
A

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
In a pinch hand warmers. I have pondered light over boots for a late season hunt if I need to sit at all (morning glassing can get cold) my feet got really cold 2014. But I am hunting Oct this year it turns out so that is back burner.

Just saying don't tempt fate. ;)

Forgot all about foot warmers. I will definitely pick up some.

OP
A

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
You just never know how cold it's going to get. I guess if it got too cold you could always hike back to your cabin. My buddy and I made the mistake of staying out in really cold temps and I didn't get all the feeling back in my toes for almost 6 months. Lucky nothing worse happened. That was two seasons ago. I was wearing full leather goretex Asolo TPS 520 boots with thick wool socks and gaiters. I think my socks were too thick which crammed my toes making my blood flow worse. Last season I wore insulated Meindls when it got cold that were a half size larger and with a wider toe box. It was much better in the snow. I like the Lowa Tibets, so if you don't get cold feet easily and have plenty of room to allow for thick socks, you might be ok. Maybe carry some toe warmers in case. But I have poor circulation in my feet so my toes get cold very easy. So I am always trying to prepare for it. After that incident I now have an assortment of boots from non insulated to heavily insulated.

I wasn't questioning or doubting how cold it could get. I was just saying what else can you add to my boots when they will already be jammed packed with thick wool socks and covered by gaiters. I forgot about toe/foot warmers. I will definitely pick those up. But other than that, there's nothing else I can do to prepare for the conditions in terms of my feet. I was advised by numerous people to not get insulated boots. But, even if I did want some, I just can't afford that right now, look at the list of gear in the OP. ALL that was purchased within that past 3 months.

warrior80

WKR
I wasn't questioning or doubting how cold it could get. I was just saying what else can you add to my boots when they will already be jammed packed with thick wool socks and covered by gaiters. I forgot about toe/foot warmers. I will definitely pick those up. But other than that, there's nothing else I can do to prepare for the conditions in terms of my feet. I was advised by numerous people to not get insulated boots. But, even if I did want some, I just can't afford that right now, look at the list of gear in the OP. ALL that was purchased within that past 3 months.
Yeah there's no doubt. Gear costs add up like crazy! I'm sure you'll be fine. You could also consider getting some lower profile foot beds for when it's cold to give you more volume in your boot so you can wear the thicker socks without compressing your feet as much. Or even insulated foot beds. I haven't tried those though. Just ideas. The toe and hand warmers work pretty good.

OP
A

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
They've obviously never hunted in sub-zero temps with a foot of snow on the ground before. By November hunting seasons, I'm usually wearing my -45 degree Sorel Pac boots.

I'm sure they haven't, and we aren't this year. My buddy goes to this unit the first week of November every year and gave me the temperature swing breakdown, and it never comes close to sub zero. It is in the teens/20's in the morning and then warms up, even with snow on the ground. Though, I have been thinking about getting a set of pac boots just to have just in case. But, from what I have been gathering from friends who hunt this unit at the same time of the year annually, insulated boots are not needed.

tttoadman

WKR

I don't really have a neck gaiter, but close. If is cold, I put my fleece Bernie on and pull my fleece headband down on my neck. When it warms up a little, hat goes in the hip pocket and the headband goes up on the ears.