What ammo for a 308?

So I am not versed in rifle cartridges. I was gifted a 308 by my old man - savage axis.

Hunting whitetails and black bears, what ammo is your favorite? And would that same ammo work for elk one day or do you have a seperate brand/type load whatever for elk specifically. Thanks - and sorry if i butchered terminology.

To add - shooting out to 200 yards. I may try 300 range at the range with it.

I would say go with the most accurate 150 or 165 grain load that works in your rifle for deer.

If you step up to elk, I would lean more toward either a 180 grain load or a 165 grain load with a premium bullet.

I went with the Nosler Trophy Grade 165 grain AccuBond bullet for my 308.

Try the cheapest ammo first and see what the rifle likes.

That is what I did and stopped with 150 grain American Whitetail. Sadly, I didn't see any shooter deer when I took it out last year.

I have complete confidence in its accuracy out of my gun and its ability to take a deer out to about 250 yards (limit is caused by where I hunt)

I have no idea if that is enough for bear. We don't hunt bears in Texas.

I can't imagine why the plain old corlokt or win power points or basic federal would perform perfectly at .308 win velocities. Buy a box and test them, their price is low enough that it won bankrupt you and you might find the perfect factory load for your rifle.

I bought several and tried them to see what the gun liked. Mine likes hornady superformance sst 150 grain. My wife’s likes Norma soft point 150 grain.
For whitetail, no problem. I am not sure how they perform on something like a bear. I have read some say the SST bullet doesn’t penetrate enough for large animals. I have also heard eld-m dropped elk. The key is shot placement.

When I had my .308 I killed elk Mulies and whitetail with 165 grain fusions, 165 grain Berger vlds, 130 grain Barnes, 175 grain eld-x, 150 grain partitions and 150 grain core lokts. Great caliber and does a fantastic job at the distances you are looking at shooting

Back