What are the odds this is a micro-chipped Antler?

How would they catch people that just stash them in the trees and then come back for them in May? Seems like it would be difficult to prove and unfortunately I think is what a lot of people are doing now. A couple years ago I found someone's shed stash that had 5 elk antlers tucked under a tree.
HEYYYYYY!!!! That was you???? So that's where they went DAMMIT !!!

Reactions: 686

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
No worries about wolves chasing them all over though.
Yeah this always cracks me up. CPW conducting herd counts with helicopter ambushes is fine (seriously watch a video of that for a complete WTF moment). Wolves chasing herds around is fine.

But...How dare you pick up a shed on April 14th when the animals have migrated up in elevation from the wintering ground.

A TON of people have no idea that picking up a shed before May 1st in most of the elk areas is illegal also!

Also, can CPW actually catch F@#%ing poachers when we report them instead of this BS? Thanks.

Pretty soon there will be remote controlled elk with thermal cameras, run right up to you 30 seconds before shooting light, built in printer, whip up a ticket right then and there...

Gone4Days

WKR
sounds like entrapment to me. That’s like leaving a chipped stack of cash on the ground and arresting someone when they pick it up.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Is that a recent photo or from the fall?

My guess is that the CPW probably isn't baiting antlers on private property, unless there is a locally known reason to, i.e: a large and visible herd frequents that pasture, or trespassing claims from the landowner.

Even if the antler isn't "chipped," there's a chance it's being watched in one way or another.

I imagine that the threat of antlers containing a microchip is probably more of a deterrent than is the reality of actually picking them up.
Taken about April 4th this year

11boo

WKR
That’s awesome. Was it realistic? Bull or cow? Was it on private or were they just trying to get people shooting from the road? It would be pretty funny if someone figured it out and parked and ran 50 feet off the centerline and started lighting it up.
It looked real on the road side, until you watched it for a minute. It had the remote control head just looking left and right. Decent 6x rack.

It was off a heavy travel paved road, and CPW had set up around the corner.

The back side of it was shredded lol. The road side looked good.

Traveler

WKR
That’s awesome. Was it realistic? Bull or cow? Was it on private or were they just trying to get people shooting from the road? It would be pretty funny if someone figured it out and parked and ran 50 feet off the centerline and started lighting it up.
I know someone that did this is another state. Drove 100’ down to a pull off, came back and went the required distance from the road. They were legal and although the warden talked to them, no tickets.