What cheek riser is everyone running?

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Even with low rings I still need a cheek riser/pad for proper scope alignment with my eye. I am open to a stick on pad or a strap on pouch type like this: Triad Tactical, Inc. :: Triad Tactical :: All Triad Stock Packs™ :: Triad Stock Pack™ If it matters its for a Winchester in 300WSM.

Unfortunately, I have bought a couple of the pouch style ones and they are built for large tactical stocks, not hunting stocks...so they are all too big.

TauPhi111

WKR
If you're cool with drilling 2 holes through your stock, I'd go with the Kydex saddle style risers that are adjustable via 2 bolts and knobs that go through the stock. I used to have one from Karsten on a hunting rifle and it worked well. Right now I have a boyds stock with a riser built in.

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
If you're cool with drilling 2 holes through your stock, I'd go with the Kydex saddle style risers that are adjustable via 2 bolts and knobs that go through the stock. I used to have one from Karsten on a hunting rifle and it worked well. Right now I have a boyds stock with a riser built in.

Thanks, TP. I'm trying to avoid any drilling if possible, but I will if I have to. It looks like that Bradley cheek rest might be a good option without drilling, but its $120 yikes.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Thanks, TP. I'm trying to avoid any drilling if possible, but I will if I have to. It looks like that Bradley cheek rest might be a good option without drilling, but its $120 yikes.
You could make that yourself for about $15

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Having high cheek bones means I need to have a cheek riser on just about any fixed stock rifle. I have been using these on my rifles for a couple years now and keep buying new ones as my frineds buy them off me once they realize how nice it is to have a good cheek weld.

The fact that the zippered pocket is large enough to hold 20 rounds is just a bonus. ;)

Amazon.com : Allen Buttstock Shell Holder and Pouch for Rifles : Gun Ammunition And Magazine Pouches : Sports & Outdoors

For $12 and just put foam of some sort under it, it seems to work well.

TauPhi111

WKR
I forgot to add, I did a poor mans cheek riser job on my cousin's Mauser with just some closed cell foam, some vet wrap (also known as co-ban or cohesive bandage) and some hockey tape. I thought it turned out well and is also light weight. You can get vet wrap in any manner of color and it gives you a really grippy cheek weld. It also isn't going to slip off and you have co-ban in a survival situation.View attachment 75207

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I forgot to add, I did a poor mans cheek riser job on my cousin's Mauser with just some closed cell foam, some vet wrap (also known as co-ban or cohesive bandage) and some hockey tape. I thought it turned out well and is also light weight. You can get vet wrap in any manner of color and it gives you a really grippy cheek weld. It also isn't going to slip off and you have co-ban in a survival situation.View attachment 75207

Yes indeed!! That works well until it comes time to clean your rifle or in some cases even simply remove the bolt. Then ya gotta cut the tape and redo it all once done. Which is why I went the $13 velcro cheek piece road after a while.

Wrongside

WKR
I have a couple of the Triad stock packs and really like them. Also have one of the PIG Rifle Stockpacks and really like it. It's harder to 'install', but I do like some of its features better than the Triad. The back strap being made of some sort of Hypalon material is a nice touch.

willidru

WKR
I have one very similar to the Tria tactile it works pretty well for cheek weld, but I tend to lose a shell or 2 out of the exterior shell holder. I do like the zipper pouch

VernAK

WKR
There is a closed cell, stick-on pad in various thickness on the market. I've used em for years and they work very well.
Inexpensive!

Ican't recall the name but I ordered from a well known catalog....Brownell or Midway.....

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider

I actually have one of those on a Tikka (borderline too long), and it's definitely too long on the Winchester...Can't cycle the bolt all the way back, but may work just enough to grab the next round in the mag. I'll have to try it.

It is hard for me to understand why the inexpensive pouches are all too big on every hunting rifle I've ever tried them on, ugh. I may look into those Cheekeeze and Scopeeze products that VernAK mentioned.

I just received the above raising kit and it seems to work great so far. You do have to take the stock off or remove your scope, it fits tight but that's a good thing and you can add or remove the foam inserts to make it fit your eye/cheek.

Turn it inside out and roll it on.
Still kinda hard but you won't have to remove any thing

xrangerx

WKR
I like the triad ones a lot. I prefer either the modular one (where you can hold spare rounds inside or out) or the internal loops. Steve is a great guy too and CS is top notch

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I 3D printed one that fits my stock profile. Attached it with a 3M Command strip and put a regular butt stock cartridge case over it.