What do yall do for side income?

CorbLand

WKR
Anyone got ideas with flexible schedules? Something that’s work from home so I’m not tied down to physical location? Main job is a skilled trade but probably no overtime this year and it’s not something that I can do on the side (without investing several grand to start).
Don’t know if it has to be work from home but driving for Doordash or Uber is very flexible and they make pretty decent money. I have thought about doing it January through May to pay for hunting trips.

Another one, but also not work from home is doing random yard jobs for people. You would be amazed at little things some of the bigger companies don’t want to deal with. A guy I work with picks up odd jobs as he needs. Replacing sprinkler heads, fixing lines, spring clean up, etc. He turns down a lot of work.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t know if it has to be work from home but driving for Doordash or Uber is very flexible and they make pretty decent money. I have thought about doing it January through May to pay for hunting trips.

Another one, but also not work from home is doing random yard jobs for people. You would be amazed at little things some of the bigger companies don’t want to deal with. A guy I work with picks up odd jobs as he needs. Replacing sprinkler heads, fixing lines, spring clean up, etc. He turns down a lot of work.
I’m terrible with sprinklers but the general idea is good. Maybe DoorDash but no Uber, just don’t want strangers in my car.

CorbLand

WKR
I’m terrible with sprinklers but the general idea is good. Maybe DoorDash but no Uber, just don’t want strangers in my car.
I landscaped for 10 years. A guy at work asked me how much I would charge to put a sprinkler system in for him. I told him “10 grand.” He looked puzzled and said he had quotes from actual companies for half that. I said “good, pay them to do it. I hate sprinklers.”

My mother in law DoorDashes and claims she makes around 30 bucks an hour doing it. How true that is, I can’t say but it does offer the flexibility.

Had a buddy that use to paint the numbers on the curb in front of people houses. He would just walk door to door. Charged like 20 bucks. White rectangle background, black numbers. Easy as could be and took about 10 minutes each.

I would start self learning investing. Research is free and after a little education, you have the ability to start making side money.

Grandkids7

FNG
Classified Approved
Been retired for a year now. Have my cell, so will probably haul grain for a couple of buddies this fall

Sharpening Knives: I don't make much doing it, but I love it anyway. I sharpen knives on the side for a little gas money to go hunting or anything outdoors. I can spend 4 hours sharpening a few knives and it feels like I've only been doing it for a short time. I get a kick out of the reaction someone has after I've done a knife for them and how sharp it is. I can spend hours reloading and it has the same effect of feeling like minutes when I've been doing it for hours too. Definetely healing.

Fire_9

WKR
Been making charcoal fueled camp chair heaters for a few years. Hasn't really been profitable yet but that should change this year as my processes improve and I add accessories. I had some carrying cases sewn up last year that they helped sales tremendously

IMG_1239.jpg

AKBorn

WKR
Sharpening Knives: I don't make much doing it, but I love it anyway. I sharpen knives on the side for a little gas money to go hunting or anything outdoors. I can spend 4 hours sharpening a few knives and it feels like I've only been doing it for a short time. I get a kick out of the reaction someone has after I've done a knife for them and how sharp it is. I can spend hours reloading and it has the same effect of feeling like minutes when I've been doing it for hours too. Definetely healing.
There is definitely a market for this. I have seen threads on hunting forums pages long, where guys have discussed how bad they are at sharpening their hunting knives. I consider myself pretty intelligent, yet I manage to be a pretty poor knife sharpener no matter what brand of sharpener I try.

There is definitely a market for this. I have seen threads on hunting forums pages long, where guys have discussed how bad they are at sharpening their hunting knives. I consider myself pretty intelligent, yet I manage to be a pretty poor knife sharpener no matter what brand of sharpener I try.
It's not a secret what I use. If I have some time I'll drop you a PM to give you some ideas what I do and how I do it.

rclouse79

WKR
I don't know how I have never seen this thread. In January, on a whim, I took the content test to be a physics tutor on tutor.com. I have been doing it for a few months now. I am not going to get rich doing it, but it gives me something to do when I have time and makes me a better teacher in general. All of my normal income goes to the family, but I do this for play money. So far I have used it to finish my ebike build and might start saving up for a motorcycle. I will be interested to read back through this thread to see what others are doing.

wapitibob

WKR
I’ve done Uber/lyft for 2 years, no interest in door dash or Uber eats.
In town with no surge is $20/hr gross over the course of the day. Airport rides and some surge or weekend with concert surge averages $35/hr gross over several hours from say 6pm to 11 pm. I’ve made $0/hr to over $150/hr but in the end, it all evens out. I know guys that make $6000 a $8000 a month. When you find out how many hours they work and divide, it comes right back to $25/hr, gross. They spend $500/month on a new Tesla or the same $500/month on gas.
Like I tell passengers that ask, this isn’t a real job and doesn’t pay like one.

cnelk

WKR
Anyone got ideas with flexible schedules? Something that’s work from home so I’m not tied down to physical location? Main job is a skilled trade but probably no overtime this year and it’s not something that I can do on the side (without investing several grand to start).

Sell plasma

JakeSCH

WKR
I bought a drivetrain mechanic shop, does pretty well. Previous owner just wanted to work on vehicles and not run a business so I stepped in.

So far I am able to run the business on the side and still work my full time engineering job.

WKR
I really just did my main job/business and invested for retirement along the way. I moved around a lot and was forced to paint a lot of houses I owned over the years. I'm pretty good at it and will paint kids or relatives houses as needed as a freebie. I think a guy could probably turn a pretty good buck doing house painting on weekends during certain times of the year if you developed an aptitude for it.

I also now own a decent sized Kubota and could see doing small acreage mowing jobs around here. More tractor time and less office time looks good. But at my age I'm not too money oriented anymore.

KsRancher

WKR
How close to south central Kansas are you? I would love to have someone that knows what they are doing sharpen some knives for me