What do you want to know? I AM BACK!

Macintosh

WKR
How about a condensed post on what it should take for a “traditional rifle hunter” (ie never taken game at more than 300 yards) to responsibly take game at “long range” (ie beyond where most MPBR hunters will be comfortable, lets say 300 and beyond). Seems there is a need for some sort of sticky on the topic anyway. All of this is on the site, but is fairly scattered, and there are a lot of Easterners/midwesterners who dont have easy access to mentorship for hunting in more open country, aspire to be capable at longer range, or are taking a first or second western trip and think they want to be capable at “long range”. I could see it including some discussion of actual necessity, basic equipment needed vs wanted, a basic list of prerequisite skills/skills to aquire via practice, some practice suggestions including some that can be accomplished on a 200 yard or less range, what’s required at destination before hunting, and some sort of skills assessment to give a sense of what you are legitimately capable of. Maybe thats several posts or a post with a bunch of links?

Maybe one on rifle set up optimized for long range and field positions. I know there are good threads about how to mount a scope and keep things from moving… but I’m talking about head position/cheek weld, length of pull, scope height etc.

I ask, because I seem to be in the minority that like a taller cheek rest in order to get an anchor point each time I shoulder the rifle. Floating head/jaw weld seems weird

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You all never disappoint with the comedy. Love it.

Glad to be back, Boss.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How about a condensed post on what it should take for a “traditional rifle hunter” (ie never taken game at more than 300 yards) to responsibly take game at “long range” (ie beyond where most MPBR hunters will be comfortable, lets say 300 and beyond). Seems there is a need for some sort of sticky on the topic anyway. All of this is on the site, but is fairly scattered, and there are a lot of Easterners/midwesterners who dont have easy access to mentorship for hunting in more open country, aspire to be capable at longer range, or are taking a first or second western trip and think they want to be capable at “long range”. I could see it including some discussion of actual necessity, basic equipment needed vs wanted, a basic list of prerequisite skills/skills to aquire via practice, some practice suggestions including some that can be accomplished on a 200 yard or less range, what’s required at destination before hunting, and some sort of skills assessment to give a sense of what you are legitimately capable of. Maybe thats several posts or a post with a bunch of links?
I am down with this 100%. I think that if you watch this section, I'll answer all those questions. And, I think I will work out a series to break it down step by step in a way that makes sense for you. Cut through the clutter for new guys.

Long range is easier to understand and get the necessary gear than most make it out to be. But, at the same time a man has to know his limitations, to paraphrase Dirty Harry.

If you have a rifle that can shoot 1 inch at 100 yards, and a scope with a BDC reticle, you can make 80% or more of the typical western mountain shots. Its us hardcore guys that prepare for the more rare long range pokes so we don't have to walk away from the one chance we might get.

I shot my caribou inside 100 yards, and most of my animals inside 400. I have been happy to connect on a few between 500 and 700 when that was the chance that I had.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I am down with this 100%. I think that if you watch this section, I'll answer all those questions. And, I think I will work out a series to break it down step by step in a way that makes sense for you. Cut through the clutter for new guys.

Long range is easier to understand and get the necessary gear than most make it out to be. But, at the same time a man has to know his limitations, to paraphrase Dirty Harry.

If you have a rifle that can shoot 1 inch at 100 yards, and a scope with a BDC reticle, you can make 80% or more of the typical western mountain shots. Its us hardcore guys that prepare for the more rare long range pokes so we don't have to walk away from the one chance we might get.

I shot my caribou inside 100 yards, and most of my animals inside 400. I have been happy to connect on a few between 500 and 700 when that was the chance that I had.
I tend to agree. I do think most hunters do not do the volume of shooting or testing on said optic to prove it or gather dope so that they can enter said dope to get a positive result. I have been guilty of this in the past, but the example is buying a an exposed turret scope, taking a velocity off a box and making up a supposed and un tested moa/mil adjustment sheet

Mojave

WKR
How hot does your cousin have to be to be "interesting"?

What is the length of a shoreline?

Is it sexist for a blind man to walk near a tuna cannery and say "good morning ladies"?

What is the best way to get blood out of a clown suit?

At what point did the Donner party start enjoy meals?

It's not only hotdogs. Bucky's the world famous gas station et al, has a jalapeno chedder sausage wrapped in a tortilla. It is one slice away from heavenly food? As the tortilla is a bread, and the sausage is a meat, does this count as a sandwich? What about the fish tacos that they sell in San Diego? I say sandwich all day, asking for a friend.

TX_Diver

WKR
Would be interested in some posts on field shooting positions (sitting, kneeling, etc.) that don't include a tripod but are based off of using a pack and maybe a small rear bag (I carried your mini tacky bag on a muzzleloader hunt this year and would carry it on a rifle hunt too).

If they include pictures that'd be a huge help too.