What I don't bring on a backpack hunt anymore!

iriebra

Lil-Rokslider
Sub'd for a 45yo newb

It took one trip to start buying the merino wool base layers and limit amount of "spares"
Went floorless; nice REI tent 15 years ago aint got nuthin' on my new SO LBO BTB. (take the parts i need for solo vs more vs what type of weather, etc)
Thanks to ya'll - first aid kit is now down to SuperGlue, Ducttape (just a couple feet) a few asstd pills.

Moar to come.

rbljack

WKR
Sub'd for a 45yo newb

It took one trip to start buying the merino wool base layers and limit amount of "spares"
Went floorless; nice REI tent 15 years ago aint got nuthin' on my new SO LBO BTB. (take the parts i need for solo vs more vs what type of weather, etc)
Thanks to ya'll - first aid kit is now down to SuperGlue, Ducttape (just a couple feet) a few asstd pills.

Moar to come.

Get leuko tape! After listening about that stuff on numerous podcasts, I decided to order some on amazon. Glad I did. I cut my thumb pretty good with a saw during my WY elk hunt this year. That stuff stayed on the whole trip(way better than duct tape for that purpose), plus the ride home and stayed in place until after my shower when I got home. It would have stayed on longer, but I decided to take it off after the shower and make sure everything was cleaned out throroughly. I HIGHLY recommend it. To use an quote that is becoming VERY overdone...its LEGIT! LOL
After listening to the podcast with cory Jacobson about the guy who drove a broadhead into his calf, I am rethinking my first aid as well. I have an inarch mini, and plan to buy the items he mentioned in the podcast to stop serious bleeding. There were only a few items, and the weight wasn't much.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
I’m all for light packing, but I also want to be able to deal with a major cut so I keep an Israeli bandage, clot pack, and a Garmin InReach. Otherwise, first aid is limited to a small amount of neosporin, eyedrops and some ibuprofen.

A good clothing system is a major space and weight saver. Only extras are one pair of underwear and one set of socks.

I really cut down on the amount of clothes I bring. I change base layers only from day to day. I bring 3 sets of base layers. 1 is always outside of my tent "De-scenting" during the day. Sometimes it gets wet but thats part of the process.
I carry enough water to get me through the first two days. Thats it.
If I cant find it after that I will leave the area because if there is no water there wont be many animals anyhow.
I know a guy who carries an extra pair of boots with him. I own a good pair of boots and wear them in.
Bring leatherman tool with bits I need.
1 tank of jetboil fuel. Not 4...
1 lighter 1 pack of matches...not 5 lighters and a box of matches...
I dont carry scent spray any more there is no point when your buddy stinks like a donkey anyhow...
I make a list of everything I didnt use. Last time there was only 1 thing I didnt use. That was the first aid kit. I will never sacrifice that. Its paramount.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe this is me being ignorant, but why do people bury their sh*t? Bears and lions? I've never had a thought bout burying it

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
I have been re-looking what I have taking out with me over the years, it can be surprising that we are luging around items that we never even touch and they are not critical gear that we need to have.

Maybe this is me being ignorant, but why do people bury their sh*t? Bears and lions? I've never had a thought bout burying it

I usually do. At minimum I throw a downed log or a rock on it. My reasons are:
-Keeps smell down
-Keeps flys away
-Feel like its just common courtesy. (Leave no trace)

But its not like I get offended if I find a white teepee out there. It decomposes eventually.

Randle

WKR

I think it is pretty disgusting to hike up and see someone's crap stained tp. Also it's bad enough to step in dog crap much less someone's pile

Trial153

WKR
Anyone find a pile in unit 37, I dropped my release next to it. Its looks like 200 except it's black and silver.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Another member came up with this thread, so I can't take credit, but lets list the items that we use to bring on a backpack hunt that no longer make the cut.

This will be very informational for newbie backpack hunters, so please post your list.

Sharpening stone (I bring a havalon)

Several extra socks and underwear (buy merino wool)

canned food (I know, crazy, but I would bring it in my younger days)

0 degree sleeping bag for September hunts (Buy a good 20 and save the weight)

First Aid Kit (Duct tape and pain killers now)

D rings (Looked good in the movies, but stupid idea)

Bow press (probably the worst thing to pack on a hunt...keep it in the truck)

Cotton clothing (I'm blaming this on ignorance and poverty)

More than 1 set of pants (Bring what you wear in)

Regular soap (I use Sea to Summit dehydrated now)

A set of Allen wrenches (I bring the important ones now)

Energy Drinks (I bring pills now:) )

I'll post more as I think of them:)
It's amazing how much weight you can save if you pack meth instead of energy drinks... at least that's what I've been told

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's amazing how much weight you can save if you pack meth instead of energy drinks... at least that's what I've been told

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It’s benifits are twofold.
1- no need for food so that’s a lot of extra weightcut
B- no need for a tent because you will be wide awake the whole hunt. Therefore maximizing the time in the backcountry chasing down your prey. You will be able to bike day and night to get all up on the game. Probably don’t need a sleeping bag either so I bet a lot of weight can be cut

Things I’ve given up that I haven’t seen previously posted:

1. Extra arrows
2. Small game head/arrow
3. Elk decoy
4. Dead down wind or similar products
5. Stabilizer (I’ve never noticed a difference, even at long distances)
6. Deodorant
7. Book (eg, elknuts playbook)
8. Wind-indicator (dirt or my cheek always works)

It’s nice to see in this thread a common message that “what works for me may not work for you”.

A lot of us started out heavy, then when to the other extreme (ultra-light) then figure out for ourselves what we are willing to carry and what we aren’t. It’s a fun process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Switched over to dehydrated water, much lighter.
Dropped pounds instantly.

R

JWP58

WKR
It’s benifits are twofold.
1- no need for food so that’s a lot of extra weightcut
B- no need for a tent because you will be wide awake the whole hunt. Therefore maximizing the time in the backcountry chasing down your prey. You will be able to bike day and night to get all up on the game. Probably don’t need a sleeping bag either so I bet a lot of weight can be cut

And by about day 3 you'll be hallucinating so bad you wont care if you get an elk as long as you get away from the swat team chasing you.

16Bore

WKR
Didn't realize how old this thread was and almost wrote "pistol" again....ha!

JesseTac

FNG
Extra clothes when I was young and couldn’t afford performance clothing. Clothing wouldn’t dry and would have to change. Performance fabrics are great.