What is the best sat phone?

I have a Iridium 9505A that I picked up used a few years ago, but if I was in the market for a new sat phone, I would get the 9575 Extreme. IMO Iridium is the only way to go and the Extreme is the smallest, lightest, and most weather resistant one they make.

We have a stack of all the Iriduim models for work. For a one time use, there isn’t a functional difference. For regular use, the older 9505A seem to be the most reliable even if they have a relatively primitive OS. The 9555 and 9575 both have had issues with the antenna connection and battery terminals. In particular the 9575’s are pretty bad. I’ve been less than thrilled with the durability on this latest generation to be honest. Pretty much replaced it with InReach over the last year.

Iridiums are still the best option for most of the North though just for coverage reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MQQSE

FNG
Iridium is the only way to go. The last few years I have used my iPhone through my Iridium Go unit. This little unit basically converts your iPhone to a satellite phone. I get unlimited texts on my plan and can make calls just like on a regular Iridium phone. One downside is that you now have two pieces of equipment that can malfunction vs just one. It has worked well for me so far though.

great information. we were recently in Colorado looking for elk sheds and had to download onx maps ahead of time knowing we wouldn't have reception. a sat phone would be amazing to have side by side with on x maps

TreyPound

FNG
Friends have used them on remote rafting trips. The large engineering firm I work for requires their use at remote sites for safety reasons.

They work. But they cost much more per unit, per minute, and are bulkier than cell phones. Prearranged messages help make for clearer communication. SPOT lets you say "OK" much more cheaply and with a far smaller unit, except when it doesn't. Some family members can grasp the concept that good news is good news, bad news is bad news but NO NEWS ISN'T BAD NEWS. Many family members can't grasp that and then SPOT creates more problems than it solves. If a sat phone doesn't connect, the sender knows it. But with SPOT, you're flying blind.

I used SPOT for a few years then went to a PLB because it's more reliable at high latitudes and there's no annual fee. I can't send messages to family, just call out SAR, but that suffices for me. And knowing I can do that satisfies the homefront.